Yacht Club or Coronado

WareInDisney

Original Poster
I have been to WDW about 10 times now. You'd think I would easily be able to pick a resort, but nope! I am going 12/8-12/13 with my boyfriend. I have stayed at both YC and CS before. However, I am a deluxe girl at heart and leaning towards Yacht Club again, but there is a $1000 difference between the two resorts and I am just not sure if YC is worth it right now ( we are splitting the cost so really $500 each). I love being able to easily get to EPCOT and HS from YC and thinking with the limited park hours, it might be helpful. Thoughts?

Raxel7851

If you’re a Disneyite I think the YC would be the best choice, in spite of the added expense. It’s really not comparable to CS. We stayed at the Beach Club last December and enjoyed walking to Epcot and taking the Skyliner to HS. Sure the Swan and Dolphin are nice and less $$$, but if you’re going with your boyfriend, I think it would be way more romantic staying at the YC.

Schweino

It really depends. Has he never been to WDW before or has not been in a long while? If so, you will most likely finding yourself spending more time at the parks and less at the resorts. CS would be a wiser choice and you can used the money saved to try 'fancier' restaurants for a more romantic experience. This is what my wife and myself are doing for our honeymoon :) We picked Pop over CS because we only use the resorts to sleep so we are going to use the money saved to do more costly dining experiences since there is no Dining Plan this year.

Although, if you plan to have 2 resort days and money is no object, then go YC all the way, though I still think Swan/Dolphin is more economical.

nickys

Premium Member
Since park hours are restricted right now, you will either be spending time at the resort or Disney Springs in the evenings, as park hopping isn’t permitted.

I think the pros for YC is that there is more to do in the evening around the lake, with 3 resorts for dining and lounges. Plus you have SAB, although that depends on the weather, and of course walking access to two parks.

The pros for CSR are mainly the price and the new options in the evening at Gran Destino. You can still resort hop in the evenings if you either have an ADR or use Disney transport, but that is more difficult from CSR once buses to the parks stop. So you’d probably want to go from a park to wherever you wanted to hang out in the evening, and then just get a ride share back.

For me, if that $500 difference is between YC and a GDT room I’d do CSR without hesitation - the Tower rooms look gorgeous. If on the other hand it’s a regular CSR room then it’s a tougher choice. But $500 each would probably cover most or all your dining costs.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Since park hours are tricked right now, you will either be spending time at the resort or Disney Springs in the evenings, as park hopping isn’t permitted.

I think the pros for YC is that there is more to do in the evening around the lake, with 3 resorts for dining and lounges. Plus you have SAB, although that depends on the weather, and of course walking access to two parks.

The pros for CSR are mainly the price and the new options in the evening at Gran Destino. You can still resort hop in the evenings if you either have an ADR or use Disney transport, but that is more difficult from CSR once buses to the parks stop. So you’d probably want to go from a park to wherever you wanted to hang out in the evening, and then just get a ride share back.

For me, if that $500 difference is between YC and a GDT room I’d do CSR without hesitation - the Tower rooms look gorgeous. If on the other hand it’s a regular CSR room then it’s a tougher choice. But $500 each would probably cover most or all your dining costs.
I was going to say, maybe neither of those places. Be closer to the Springs or consider a cheaper duluxe like Kidani or Saratoga.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
From personal experience I've found that the thought process of location, location, location, is completely overrated. With the advent of Uber, Lyft etc. You are literally 10 minutes and about $15 from anywhere you want to get to. Applies for Hotel Plaza Resorts and those in very close proximity i.e. Gaylord.

If you stay at CSR and decide you want to go to EPCOT, hop into an Uber, spend $10, have them drop you off 10 minutes later at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Swan etc, and walk in through IG.

The only way location plays any role - is if you are solely reliant on Disney Transportation.

The only caveat to this are the current restrictions being imposed due to the virus. So make sure you know where you can and can't get to without needing an ADR etc.

nickys

Premium Member
From personal experience I've found that the thought process of location, location, location, is completely overrated. With the advent of Uber, Lyft etc. You are literally 10 minutes and about $15 from anywhere you want to get to. Applies for Hotel Plaza Resorts and those in very close proximity i.e. Gaylord.

If you stay at CSR and decide you want to go to EPCOT, hop into an Uber, spend $10, have them drop you off 10 minutes later at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Swan etc, and walk in through IG.

The only way location plays any role - is if you are solely reliant on Disney Transportation.

The only caveat to this are the current restrictions being imposed due to the virus. So make sure you know where you can and can't get to without needing an ADR etc.
And that’s the problem. Right now, unless you have an ADR then the security are turning away people in taxis, ride shares or private cars at the gates to the resorts. So Resort hopping isn’t as easy as it would be normally. I don’t see that changing by December, since they have cancelled the gingerbread displays at least partly due to the potential crowds.

So for the purposes of planning your suggestion will not work. Especially for resort hopping in the evenings when parks are closed.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
And that’s the problem. Right now, unless you have an ADR then the security are turning away people in taxis, ride shares or private cars at the gates to the resorts. So Resort hopping isn’t as easy as it would be normally. I don’t see that changing by December, since they have cancelled the gingerbread displays at least partly due to the potential crowds.

So for the purposes of planning your suggestion will not work. Especially for resort hopping in the evenings when parks are closed.

True. But in that case you'd pretty much be confined to your selected hotel. Unless you had ADRs. You can still resort hop. You just have to be a bit more creative.

From my understanding they are not really hassling anyone arriving on Disney Transportation or walking. Only those arriving by car or ride share. If you wanted to Resort Hop, you could still Uber to TTC and walk to Poly and then walk to GF. Or Uber to DHS or EPCOT and then be able to walk or use the Gondolas to access all Boardwalk resorts along with CBR, Riviera, POP and AoA.

You would have an issue though trying to hop AKL, CSR and All Stars. And WL and Contemp would be harder but not out of the realm.

nickys

Premium Member
True. But in that case you'd pretty much be confined to your selected hotel. Unless you had ADRs. You can still resort hop. You just have to be a bit more creative.

From my understanding they are not really hassling anyone arriving on Disney Transportation or walking. Only those arriving by car or ride share. If you wanted to Resort Hop, you could still Uber to TTC and walk to Poly and then walk to GF. Or Uber to DHS or EPCOT and then be able to walk or use the Gondolas to access all Boardwalk resorts along with CBR, Riviera, POP and AoA.

You would have an issue though trying to hop AKL, CSR and All Stars. And WL and Contemp would be harder but not out of the realm.
All true during park opening. But in the evening I don’t know that they are letting taxis etc into the parking lots. So getting to the Boardwalk Area resorts is problematic without an ADR. People are reporting having to go to Disney Springs and then getting resort buses. The TTC for the monorail resorts is a good idea, there are buses running between those resorts so you could get a bus from the Poly to Contemporary, for example. WL is hard, because the boats stop an hour after MK closes, and there are no boats running around Bay Lake.

The point being, you have to do a heck of a lot of planning simply to be able to Resort hop in the evening. The easiest way is to make an ADR. The next easiest way is to go direct from a park to the resort where you wanted to hang out.

dreday3

Assuming everything at Coronado is open by then...book Gran Destino and stay there. Resort seems to have a lot more to do as far as bars/eating. Dahlia Lounge looks incredible. Just seems much more lively at that resort. Yes, you have to take bus, but I mean, big deal? We never mind the buses. And if we are in a hurry, we take an Uber. And CSR is very centrally located, short drive to all parks.

We stay Yacht/Beach often and I find we are bored there at night. People talk about the Boardwalk and it's fine for a couple hours each evening, but it's still dead by 9. But we haven't been since that new bar opened, so maybe it's better?

We are trying Gran Destino next May. If parks are still closing early, at least we can have cocktails at a number of places throughout the hotel, lounge and look at fantastic views, hang by the pool and try some different restaurants.

Last edited:

chrisbarry

Personally, I'd spend $500 to stay at The Yacht Club any day over any other resort. It's our favorite. I think the sentiment here is pretty accurate though - if it's Gran Destino vs. Yacht Club, then maybe give Gran Destino a shot. If it's a regular Coronado room vs. Yacht Club, that's not really a fair comparison.
All that said, for me at least, walking into and out of World Showcase is worth every penny.

Maelstrom Troll

We usually stay at YC unless we are adding a cruise on, and we really love it there. It’s a beautiful resort, it’s fairly quiet, and strolls on the boardwalk are lovely 🥰

WareInDisney

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I should have mentioned that I would be staying in the Gran Destino Towers. You all have given me a lot to consider.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom