yacht club dvc?

Obi

Original Poster
looks like the poly is going to get dvc which leaves the yacht club the only deluxe, that I can remember, that does not have dvc.

do you think that Disney will go ahead and have dvc for the yacht club? would there be room to add dvc?

Disneykidder

Hmmm...there is no waterfront left there to build on unless they take over an exisiting area. Maybe Disney should just leave this one be.

I really am looking forward to the Poly DVC. (ducks for tomatoes being thrown**)

llrain

It can happen, how? recall DVC converting a full wing/floor to units at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? seems to be a
new possible trend for them when space is an issue.
whats to stop them from taking over the top floor somewhere at the yacht? It will happen, their goal it seems, is
to have villas at each resort, the beach club doesnt count towards the Yacht...ya they are connected phsically
but they are 2 independent resorts.

llrain

if you think about it though they may make more on rooms as a dvc room than a cash room. by the time they would even get to the yacht they would be charging over 200.00 a point to stay..I would guess that would exceed what one would pay in cash for the same room. say the 200 rings true if not more, it would cost prob in the ballpark of 30 points per night for the lagoon view, hyphetically here, leaving that room to coust 600+ per night sunday -thursday
and even more on the weekend.
Also with the BCV's being such a small building it could help alleviate the pressure there.
Just trying to be optimistic that they will do it, sheesh, every last deluxe is or will be dvc
they are converting the poly regular rooms to dvc room...I know...speculation but they are....
The poly is like twice as expensive to stay there than the yacht but thats not stopping them cause they see the
value in locking in guests to 30 year contracts and the return as a profit rather than selling the room as a cash only room....
it'll be done

captainkidd

Perhaps what stops them from converting part of YC to DVC is the consistently high occupancy rate at YC. Cash rooms at WDW's Deluxe Resorts have incredible margins.

AKL suffered from a relatively low occupancy rate so it made sense to convert excess inventory to DVC.

I actually read that YC had the lowest occupancy rates of any Deluxe Resort. Nothing official, just in one of the "Guide" books.

tjkraz

It can happen, how? recall DVC converting a full wing/floor to units at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? seems to be a
new possible trend for them when space is an issue.

The Jambo House room conversion had nothing to do with space and everything to do with excess capacity at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Before DVC took over the 5th and 6th floors, the resort had nearly 1500 rooms and consistently struggled to fill them. It's still the one Deluxe resort that cannot provide transportation to a theme park by monorail, boat or on foot.

Yacht Club has 600 rooms, convention facilities, and access to two theme parks via boat or foot.

Also with regard to AKL, there were rumors at the time of the DVC addition that the resort was originally designed to be amenable to a future room conversion. When you're combining two or three individual rooms, the location of load-bearing supports, electrical and plumbing lines play a big role in the feasibility of the project.

Personally I would neither rule out a Yacht Club DVC nor would I pencil it in as the next destination. DVC has many options available. I could name about a half-dozen stand-alone resort rumors which have surfaced over the years. Plans for a Ft. Wilderness DVC were made public around 2010 before that project fell out of favor. They could build another tower at the Contemporary. Really they could go back to just about any existing DVC resort and look to add more units. The villa wing a the Beach Club could be extended further into the parking lot to add a few dozen more villas.

llrain

one idea that negates this is that the Poly is converting existing regular rooms, taking them off the market from cash rooms and using them as DVC rooms, you cannot say that there was additional space and excess capacity.
The Poly is prob the second biggest cash cow resort aside from the grand floridian and rarely has availability unless you book well in advance for any time in the year. Why would dvc steal rooms
away from the cash paying public to use as dvc rooms. That right there shows that DVC will stop at nothing
to gobble up, in any way they can, resorts and have DVC at every resort including The Yacht.
The Yacht isnt going to be the next one to be done but it will be done at some point.

The Jambo House room conversion had nothing to do with space and everything to do with excess capacity at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Before DVC took over the 5th and 6th floors, the resort had nearly 1500 rooms and consistently struggled to fill them. It's still the one Deluxe resort that cannot provide transportation to a theme park by monorail, boat or on foot.

Yacht Club has 600 rooms, convention facilities, and access to two theme parks via boat or foot.

Also with regard to AKL, there were rumors at the time of the DVC addition that the resort was originally designed to be amenable to a future room conversion. When you're combining two or three individual rooms, the location of load-bearing supports, electrical and plumbing lines play a big role in the feasibility of the project.

Personally I would neither rule out a Yacht Club DVC nor would I pencil it in as the next destination. DVC has many options available. I could name about a half-dozen stand-alone resort rumors which have surfaced over the years. Plans for a Ft. Wilderness DVC were made public around 2010 before that project fell out of favor. They could build another tower at the Contemporary. Really they could go back to just about any existing DVC resort and look to add more units. The villa wing a the Beach Club could be extended further into the parking lot to add a few dozen more villas.

tjkraz

one idea that negates this is that the Poly is converting existing regular rooms, taking them off the market from cash rooms and using them as DVC rooms, you cannot say that there was additional space and excess capacity.

With all due respect to tikiman, that project hasn't happened yet. His information may be rock solid...as of June 2013. But the timeline and makeup could ultimately look very different.

What's indisputable is the track record of past developments. The most recent DVC addition was/is the Grand Floridian: All new construction...no converted rooms.

Beach Club: New construction...no converted rooms.

Wilderness Lodge: New construction...no converted rooms.

Old Key West: New construction...no converted rooms.

Boardwalk was built from the ground up with both hotel rooms and villas.

The two that fall into a sort of gray area are Saratoga Springs and Bay Lake Tower. Technically existing rooms were demolished to make way for these developments, but there was no conversion of existing rooms.

That leaves Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House) as the only DVC resort which ever had rooms physically converted from hotel to villa. A resort which was overbuilt and had occupancy problems from Day One.

As for Yacht Club, according to Allears there are only 539 standard guest rooms. In order to build a single DVC Two Bedroom Villa they would need three standard rooms. Grand Floridian is the smallest DVC at WDW and it has 112 Two Bedroom equivalents. They would have to convert 336 standard rooms--or 62% of the Yacht Club--just to match that.

Does Disney want to take so many cash rooms out of service? Is it worth their while to convert fewer rooms?

There is a little bit of parking space which could be eliminated to build a small-ish DVC wing. They could get a VGF-sized addition in the space of that lot on the northwest side of the current facility. Or they could turn their attention back to the Beach Club side and basically double the number of villas there by building in its ample lot.

And none of this even addresses the feasibility of converting the YC rooms which are over 20 years old.

Many different approaches Disney could ultimately pursue.

Obi

Original Poster
i'm wondering if there is even the space to add on dvc units to the yacht club resort or if they would have to convert some of them.?.?.?

tjkraz

i'm wondering if there is even the space to add on dvc units to the yacht club resort or if they would have to convert some of them.?.?.?

See image below:

Area circled in red is the current Beach Club Villa wing. About 208 Two Bedroom equivalents, if memory serves.
The area circled in orange is mostly parking adjacent to the Yacht Club. Not enough land for a BCV-sized expansion but it could be half that--similar to the 112 TBE under construction at the Grand Floridian.

Also circled in blue is the huge self parking lot which could accommodate another 200+ Beach Club villas if Disney wanted to go in that direction. There's also a large wooded area just south of the current BCV which may be suitable for construction, too.

Many possibilities.

ScreenShot2013-06-28at123438PM_zpsa97a46b7.png

PolynesianPrincess

See image below:

Area circled in red is the current Beach Club Villa wing. About 208 Two Bedroom equivalents, if memory serves.
The area circled in orange is mostly parking adjacent to the Yacht Club. Not enough land for a BCV-sized expansion but it could be half that--similar to the 112 TBE under construction at the Grand Floridian.

Also circled in blue is the huge self parking lot which could accommodate another 200+ Beach Club villas if Disney wanted to go in that direction. There's also a large wooded area just south of the current BCV which may be suitable for construction, too.

Many possibilities.

ScreenShot2013-06-28at123438PM_zpsa97a46b7.png

If they built the DVC where the yellow circle is, these rooms would not be lake view rooms, they would all be standard view, correct?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom