XXXII Olympic Summer Games - Tokyo 2021

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Looks like the Olympics are in danger of being cancelled thanks to the Coronavirus

danlb_2000

Premium Member

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Jimmy Patronis issued a letter to the International Olympic Committee encouraging them to consider relocating the 2021 Olympics from Tokyo, Japan to the United States of America, and more specifically to Florida. Recent media reports have stated that leaders in Japan have “privately” concluded that they are too concerned about the pandemic for the 2021 Olympics to take place."

Yeah, great idea if you want to hold the 2021 Olympics in 2031. The logistics of setting up for the Olympics even in good times would make this impossible, let alone during a pandemic.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
I don't see this happening for the simple fact that we may be under another countrywide lockdown by the summer.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yesterday, I saw a report on the news that many residents in Japan do not want the Olympics, due to their own rising rates of Covid, in their country. The reporter interviewed a nurse (who would not allow her face on camera), and the nurse said that the government was asking for 500 nurse volunteers to work in the Olympics area medical facilities.

The issue was that some of the other cities, etc., in Japan, presently needed their nurses for a high number of cases now. (I wonder if Japan might bring in some nurses from outside of their country, to help staff during the Olympics. This was not suggested in the interview I saw, but just as a passing thought.)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

Slpy3270

On a side note, the IOC has named the host city for the 2032 Summer Olympics, in an uncontested (!!!) competition.

The winner is....Brisbane, Australia.

Probably the most bizarre selection since FIFA picked Qatar for the 2022 World Cup.

artvandelay

On a side note, the IOC has named the host city for the 2032 Summer Olympics, in an uncontested (!!!) competition.

Probably the most bizarre selection since FIFA picked Qatar for the 2022 World Cup.
It is odd that they named Brisbane 11 years before the start,not the usual 7 years. And, they still haven’t picked the 2030 Winter city yet. 🤞for Salt Lake.

Lilofan

I heard in Qatar the matches will be played at night because to avoid the 110 degrees plus heat if the day.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Apparently there's gonna be a tropical storm that's gonna hit Japan near Tokyo on the 27th as a tropical depression. Wonder if that's gonna affect the games at all.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wasn't sure if they were going to cancel the Olympics, but when the IOC went ahead with the program, I started to get interested.

I enjoyed watching yesterday's coverage of some events such as fencing, swimming, diving, gymnastics, judo, and skateboarding. The international athletes all trained hard, and I admired their skill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom