Xmen beat Pets 2 on preview

seascape

Original Poster
For what its worth and it may not be much, Xmen beat pets 2 last night. plus at the AMC I am at 12:30 PM, they say Xmen is doing better today than Pets 2. Good for Disney.

seascape

Original Poster
After seeing Dark Phoenix, I can say its RT score is too high. I was very disappointed in it. I am glad it's included in the Alist program because it was not worth the ticket price. Hopefully Marvel will reboot the Xmen after The Fantastic 4. Fox did a horrible job.

CJR

That all makes sense because kids aren't included with A-List. Pets will probably be stronger in matinees and specifically stronger on Saturday.

seascape

Original Poster
At this point, cheerleading Disney’s box office success when they own as many properties as they do seems disingenuous.
As a stockholder their boxoffice success is grear. I also realize that no company can keep this up forever. The worldwide boxoffice has a limit each year and eventually they will not be able to get 4 billion a year from just Marvel. That is why I want to make sure they keep Fox Searchlight going strong. Small movies with small but larger percentage profits are extremely important to the studio and the movie going public.

BrianLo

What's sort of remarkable given a look at the schedule, these were pretty much our summer tentpoles from most studios and they've all completely flopped in various ways.

Lowest opening for X-men
Second lowest opening for Illuminations - just above Hop (I'm ignoring Sing's holiday release)
Godzilla has tanked

"Summer" hasn't even started yet and 4/6 majors are kaput.

Leaving it to Disney and Sony. The other majors' slates don't pick up again until August.

Sony: Men in Black, Spiderman.
Disney: Toy Story 4, Lion King

Movielover

What's sort of remarkable given a look at the schedule, these were pretty much our summer tentpoles from most studios and they've all completely flopped in various ways.

Lowest opening for X-men
Second lowest opening for Illuminations - just above Hop (I'm ignoring Sing's holiday release)
Godzilla has tanked

"Summer" hasn't even started yet and 4/6 majors are kaput.

Leaving it to Disney and Sony. The other majors' slates don't pick up again until August.

Sony: Men in Black, Spiderman.
Disney: Toy Story 4, Lion King

Sad since as a Godzilla fan I thought Godzilla: KOTM was great! X-men had the excitement of a wet fart. it was so bad!

BrianLo

Feige has his work cut out for him. I say good luck with the MCU integration gonna need it after this abomination.

It won’t be integrated for sure now, just thrown out and restarted.

Similar to Sony being 2/3rds of the way into a planned trilogy with Spider-Man.

doctornick

Feige has his work cut out for him. I say good luck with the MCU integration gonna need it after this abomination.

How so? This just makes it all that much easier as they forget this poorly developed universe ever existed.

I'm looking forward to an X-Men movie that might finally do the team justice. Fox did fine with a few characters, but have been horrid with the overall gestalt of the team.

I'm hoping New Mutants never gets a theatrical release. Just let this dog die.

doctornick

So, I didn't want to derail the Frozen 2 thread any more than it already had been. But I was reading the funny talk about Marvel movies and this thread was the closest to a Dark Phoenix based one so...

Oh, I get it, so movie audiences said to themselves "Hey, this is a Fox movie about a Marvel character, forget it, I'm staying home." Riiiiggght. :rolleyes:

Who said it was a piece of garbage? The movie critics? Since when has that affected any movie the public really wanted to see? The fact that this film bombed on its first weekend says something. Maybe it's temporary Marvel superhero fatigue, or maybe it's long-term. Only time will tell.

I think these two comments are hilarious because... they are exactly right even though they were stated as sarcasm.

People absolutely didn't see Dark Phoenix because (1) it was a Fox X-Men movie and they've lost all goodwill with that series and (2) it got horrid reviews (and trailers were bad) so there was little reason for people to go if they weren't already committed to doing so.

The reception of Dark Phoenix along with some other such movies that have done poorly (e.g. Justice League) reflects that it's not about "superhero fatigue" but that it's about quality. The MCU consistently puts out quality films with enjoyable characters and is rewarded with a loyal following an ability to bring in a large mainstream audience that wants to watch an entertaining film.

The Fox X-Men movies have had some significant fluctuation in quality which has shrunk the fanbase and has made "regular" movie watchers skeptical and needing to be sold on a film. Age of Apocalypse was terrible and turned off what little loyal following was there. And the result ended up being... well, the box office returns for Dark Phoenix.

The idea that the audiences don't recognize the difference between the MCU and a Marvel film by another studio is simply false just as much as the idea that audiences don't recognize the difference between a Pixar film and one by Blue Sky or Illumination.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom