W'swataaa?

stratman50th

Original Poster
What's With All The Acronyms And Abbreviations?
I know that every forum has it's rhythm and reasons for doing things, and being a new guy here I figure it will take a bit to understand how things are done, but I really don't get why all the abbreviations and acronyms. Some of them make sense, especially when the post is long and involved, but wow, it's tough for someone like me to figure it out. I was on my Droid and only had one window at a time available. I was reading a thread and couldn't figure out what someone was trying to say. I went to the newbie section of the forum only to find that the two abbreviations in use weren't on the list.
Am I the only person that thinks it' actually slows things down for the reader when they have to translate a bunch of letters?
I have my asbestos drawers on so flame away if I'm out of line or violating an unwritten WDWMagic protocol asking about this, but I really am curious.

wayneway

What's With All The Acronyms And Abbreviations?
I know that every forum has it's rhythm and reasons for doing things, and being a new guy here I figure it will take a bit to understand how things are done, but I really don't get why all the abbreviations and acronyms. Some of them make sense, especially when the post is long and involved, but wow, it's tough for someone like me to figure it out. I was on my Droid and only had one window at a time available. I was reading a thread and couldn't figure out what someone was trying to say. I went to the newbie section of the forum only to find that the two abbreviations in use weren't on the list.
Am I the only person that thinks it' actually slows things down for the reader when they have to translate a bunch of letters?
I have my asbestos drawers on so flame away if I'm out of line or violating an unwritten WDWMagic protocol asking about this, but I really am curious.

IKWYMSICBTMTHATA

Translation: I know what you mean sometimes it can be too much to have all those abbreviations.

NewfieFan

I know what you mean! I found it a little overwhelming when I first started posted here but now it is like a second language. In fact when I see some of the letter combinations in real life I immediately think of something at WDW. I know, I need help! :hammer:

What acronyms were not on the list?

stratman50th

Original Poster
I know what you mean! I found it a little overwhelming when I first started posted here but now it is like a second language. In fact when I see some of the letter combinations in real life I immediately think of something at WDW. I know, I need help! :hammer:

I'd have to go back to the post, but if I recall it was the food poisoning thread and they were at a restaurant LLT? I think that was it. I'll see if I can find it again.

NewfieFan

I'd have to go back to the post, but if I recall it was the food poisoning thread and they were at a restaurant LLT? I think that was it. I'll see if I can find it again.

LTT would be Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK, I have no idea what LLT is!?!

I just took a quick glance at the acronym guide here and it is a missing a few that I noticed right away. Maybe we need to update the guide...!?!

Pioneer Hall

I do that as well. I deal with stock tickers all day and very often find myself comparing them to the Disney acronyms.

I also have to catch myself when texting of messaging someone who might not be as familiar with the acronyms. I send a text that says meet me at TSM and get a quick "what are you talking about" after that.

stratman50th

Original Poster
LTT would be Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK, I have no idea what LLT is!?!

I just took a quick glance at the acronym guide here and it is a missing a few that I noticed right away. Maybe we need to update the guide...!?!
I do think that was it! Makes sense.

I do that as well. I deal with stock tickers all day and very often find myself comparing them to the Disney acronyms.

I also have to catch myself when texting of messaging someone who might not be as familiar with the acronyms. I send a text that says meet me at TSM and get a quick "what are you talking about" after that.
Like I said in the beginning, each forum has it's own way of operating. I'm used to a forum where everything is spelled out, not textspeak, and they use proper punctuation. It isn't an english language forum, it's a guitar forum, but we do it so that people are clear in what they are asking, and when someone answers the question, they get a clear answer back. It just keeps people from having to ask follow up questions. (Plus you don't get a headache from reading it :D).

britdaw

Thank God someone else said something. I wanted to post about it, 'cause as someone who hasn't been to DW in over 20 years, I don't know what most of these stand for. :( Is there a key or something us newbs can look at? LOL

devoy1701

Thank God someone else said something. I wanted to post about it, 'cause as someone who hasn't been to DW in over 20 years, I don't know what most of these stand for. :( Is there a key or something us newbs can look at? LOL

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Acronyms.htm

Keep in mind that people also have their own ways of abbreviating sometimes... ie: some people use SM for Space Mountain or Splash Mountain while others just say Space or Splash....and Toy Story Mania can be abbreviated both TSM and TSMM. I think i've also seen things like PP and PPF for Peter Pan.

New ones are also coming up all the time. Lee used one for the 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster the other day that was the first time I had seen it. 7DMT or something like that...but I've also see SWMT as well used.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I wasnt a hundred ....

...Percent crazy about all the abbreviations when i first "got" here and it makes things a little hard to get through and understand at first especially from a mobile device when you cant get back and forth from the acronym list easily. But after a while you get to learn them just by seeing them and it makes you feel like your part of the club.

But if your speaking from a musicians point of view look at this way - do you remember when you first saw sheet music or tab? Now your fingers are just rippin around the frets withiut even thinking about it. It just takes practice :animwink:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Initialisms are a part of nearly every online discussion forum as well as many other places (military, NASA, etc). If this was a computer forum initialisms like BSOD and FSB would be thrown around. The best thing to do is to look at the list if you can not figure one out and in time they will become second nature.

britdaw

Thank you so much for posting the link to the list! :) I appreciate that and now I won't have to spend 10 minutes thinking about what a certain abbreviation might mean when I read you guys' posts. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom