Writer's block- need advice for a topic!

sillyspook13

Original Poster
I've been having some major writer's block lately when it comes to writing papers. (Could be because I have three tests coming up next week...)

I'm in a class called "Perspectives on Society in Film". Though the class is fun, I'm having major trouble coming up with a topic for my paper. I have to choose a film that addresses an issue in society (can be family, political, etc. and doesn't have to be the main focus of the movie), find two articles from around the same time period that are related to that issue, and use examples from the movie to show how it presents said issue.

I'm stuck because I can't think of a movie to write about! Most of my favorite movies are remakes of musicals or stories that were relevant for their time, but the movie was created years after in response to their popularity and are no longer totally relevant.

I'm a little iffy about using an animated film, but as a last result I may discuss Tarzan (adoption) or Finding Nemo (single parenting)

I'm sure there are plenty of great movies that I'm overlooking. Help!!!:brick:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Does it specifically have to be current society? It strikes me that the movies you like that were "relevant for their time" are still valid perspectives on society. The historic nature allows you more objectivity in your assessment of the impact of the film's social commentary on how society viewed itself and possibly evolved as a result.

Tramp

Hi Spooky!

I recently watched "To Kill A Mockingbird" based on the book by the same name and starring Gregory Peck. Of course, it deals with a very dark side of our history.

Is this the type of thing you're looking for?

Edit: It may be easier for you to pick a topic you find interesting and then find films that explore or deal with the subject. Unless you know your teacher very well, I'd be careful picking political topics unless you are capable of writing without showing any bias on an issue. As an example, if you decide to write about "Fahrenheit 911," keep to the facts without straying into opinion that might not be in line with your teacher's political leanings. I only bring this up cuz I learned the hard way when I was in college when I tried to defend our misguided but noble intentions in Vietnam only to find out my teacher had been a conscientious objector. Needless to say, my final grade reflected my opinion and not my knowledge of the course.

Wilt Dasney

I had a similar class junior year. I remember writing papers about different films, including Blade Runner (which addressed class separation in its own way, and has been said to have been a covert jab at the Reagan administration)

Don't rule out films because you don't feel like what they address is current enough. Looking at how films from the past addressed issues that were foremost in the minds of the audience of the time can be very interesting.

Steamboat_Kevin

Just a few off the top of my head that deal with social issues:

American History X
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Crash
The Shawshank Redemption
Midnight Cowboy
The Hurricane
To Kill A Mockingbird
V For Vendetta
Equilibrium

sillyspook13

Original Poster
The film doesn't have to address a current issue. It has to address an issue that was relevant at the same time that the film was made. Basically the film is responding to a current event.

Yellow Shoes

A often forgotten fact in American (film) history is that the Defense Department had a HUGE division in Hollywood.

Propaganda was not just for Hitler--the US had a large propaganda machine as well. I seem to remember seeing a movie with the not-so-subtle title, "Why We Fight."

Look at nearly anything made during WWII and it wll jump right out at you.

It doesn't even have to be something obvious like John Wayne in "Flying Tigers"

You could also mention that such pro-war films just don't exist anymore. Mr. Wayne tried in the late 60's with "The Green Berets," but even the Duke couldn't rally Americans around Vietnam. "Coming Home" and "Deer Hunter" spoke more to society's attitudes about that conflict.

Just a thought--your teacher might be more impressed with something that wasn't made in the last 10 years. It would also be easier for you to put the film into historical and societal perspective if it were older.

hcswingfield

Here's a fun one: The Truman Show, starring Jim Carrey, was commenting on the increasing invasiveness of the media into our personal lives, and on the disturbing trend of the television toward more and more reality TV and less scripted fictional fare. The artificial town he lived in (actually filmed in Seaside, Florida) also makes a nice jab at the current trend toward cookie cutter homogenized suburbs with incredibly tight restrictions on architecture, landscaping, and home decor.

MommytoMJM

I've been having some major writer's block lately when it comes to writing papers. (Could be because I have three tests coming up next week...)

I'm in a class called "Perspectives on Society in Film". Though the class is fun, I'm having major trouble coming up with a topic for my paper. I have to choose a film that addresses an issue in society (can be family, political, etc. and doesn't have to be the main focus of the movie), find two articles from around the same time period that are related to that issue, and use examples from the movie to show how it presents said issue.

I'm stuck because I can't think of a movie to write about! Most of my favorite movies are remakes of musicals or stories that were relevant for their time, but the movie was created years after in response to their popularity and are no longer totally relevant.

I'm a little iffy about using an animated film, but as a last result I may discuss Tarzan (adoption) or Finding Nemo (single parenting)

I'm sure there are plenty of great movies that I'm overlooking. Help!!!:brick:

I can help you if you go with either of those...but as a topic, can I suggest that instead of single parenting for Nemo you use grwing with disabilities or parenting special needs kids? Those overtones are stronger in the movie than single parenting...

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Taking a more contemporary approach...
Bend it like Becham (Traditionalist Ethnic upbringing in modern times)
Blood Diamond
Syriana
Cars - if you want the Disney/Pixar touch, timeless analogy
All the Kings Men - probably too heavy for this paper
We Are Marshall
Flags of our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima
Pan's Labyrinth

Even some stretches (some prof's just don't like SF even though it presents some of the best morality plays)
X Men The last Stand - prejudice, pressure to conform, genetics
Star Wars (any) but Ep. 3 was blasted in some press as a direct correlation to Bush agenda
Narnia
'arry Potter
King Kong
War of the Worlds - although the remake movie was :hurl: :hurl:

Hope some of that might help

sillyspook13

Original Poster
I can help you if you go with either of those...but as a topic, can I suggest that instead of single parenting for Nemo you use grwing with disabilities or parenting special needs kids? Those overtones are stronger in the movie than single parenting...
That was the other idea I had for Finding Nemo, and it is looking like a pretty relevant appetizing topic (that and the fact that I'm running a little low on time and probably should stick with a movie I know and love...)

hcswingfield

Or Whatever Happened to Baby Jane as a commentary on:
1. The consequences of drinking and driving
2. The plight of former child stars
3. The need for adequate planning for our retirement years
4. Psycho-social issues of sibling rivalry

disneytati

Here's a fun one: The Truman Show, starring Jim Carrey, was commenting on the increasing invasiveness of the media into our personal lives, and on the disturbing trend of the television toward more and more reality TV and less scripted fictional fare. The artificial town he lived in (actually filmed in Seaside, Florida) also makes a nice jab at the current trend toward cookie cutter homogenized suburbs with incredibly tight restrictions on architecture, landscaping, and home decor.

I think that would be a great idea!!! It's an interesting topic, and considering the limited time, it wouldn't take long to find articles about the topic.

New2WDW

I watched "Glory" last night! Great movie and really gives insight on the struggles of desegregation during the Civil War from the military perspective! Also brings to mind the football movie with Denzel in it....oooh my mind went blank....what is the name of that movie?:hammer:

SteveUK

For social issues handled in a sensitive and intelligent way, I think Philidelphia was very good.

Many films touch upon such issues, but I am often disappointed that it's in a rather shallow way. I can't help feeling that to explore the issues in depth runs the risk of detracting from the primary purpose of the production - entertainment and profit. If you explore issues too fully you might just depress the audience, and after all, money is the bottom line. It is the role of the movie production team to make a profitable piece of entertainment, not to solve the world's problems. It's a shame, but that is why I think many movies touch upon something important and interesting, but all too often shy away from getting in too deep or going in to too much detail.

BiggerTigger

Also, social conscienciousness in films are shown when movies are remade. Granted many films are remade to attrack the current generation, however, many films (in particularly comedy) update humor to appropriate, current themes as oppose to what was happening back then. This will give you things to compare between generations and society in itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom