Wrecking Balls For HKDL!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK ... got your attention?

Good.

Because while The Mouse and the HK SAR play this highstakes game of cat ... and ...well, mouse ... what it comes down to is a game that's been played before.

And a basic reality of being Disney ... and having that rep ... that MAGIC ... that comes along with it.

Now, read the title of the thread and ask yourself a fundamental question: How would Disney ever recover from something like that?

That's all you need to know about the future of HKDL, despite the gamesmanship going on.

Because if you think D23 was a lot of hype over nothing, well this is a lot of hype over doing something and who is going to pay for it.

The PR campaign choreographed by folks like Zenia and Leslie under the direction of Bob and Jay has already begun.

Start suggesting thru others (like that PopWallet dude who says he was at the opening of the place) about HKDL closing down ... that Disney has just had it with those backward officials who don't realize that just because they paid 80% of developing a Disneyland Lite (I gotta admire the dude used a term I first coined online years before setting foot in the park) doesn't mean they shouldn't shoulder most of the costs for any expansion.

Talk about that great site ... and how with all the congestion in HK what they really need desperately are more giant 50-story apartment/condo towers and why it would make sense to place that on the site of a failed park.

Know that with journalism being what it is these days that 'reputable' orgs will pick it up and run with big headlines that claim things like 'Disney Park In Deep Trouble' ... 'Disney Park Could Close' ... 'Disney's Failed China Project To Shutter?' etc ...

And know the HUGE smiles that wind up on the faces of those powerbrokers back in Burbank ... as well as those working in Shanghai to steamroll the Central Government on the next Disney resort in China.

It's like Bob is standing on a poster of Mao and __________________ while saying 'Oh yeah baby, who just toppled your Great Wall?'

The thing is, though, we've been through this before.

And China isn't France. And Disney should really have its best and brightest (and they are very few and far between) sit back and analyze what talk like this really does and how it could backfire.

You wanna talk about the kind of black eye that Disney can/could never come back from?

Imagine watching a wrecking ball take a a few whacks at Sleeping Beauty Castle or Space Mountain or Small World so they build high rise apartments on the site ... watch them implode the HKDL Hotel ... or maybe turn it into a Hyatt.

Disney would recover from some whacko 'evildoer' going on an attack and shooting people or blowing himself up at a park easier than that.

I wonder if they get that.

These are the same tactics they used with Euro Disney. Remember, they were going to have to close the park, six resorts and the Village area too.

That's what even Michael Eisner came out and threatened.

Wonder when they'll trot out a release with a statement by Bob saying likewise about HKDL ... and making it sound like Disney is a poor victim of those Chinese bureacrats.

What amazes me is how easily the officials are allowing Disney to orchestrate the PR campaign.

They might be smarter to take some advice and put on a campaign of their own showing what was supposed to be built at HKDL (with all that great 'missing' art) and show what actually was.

Show how much they have put into the project against what Disney has.

Show how paltry HKDL stacks up to other MK-style parks.

In other words, give Mickey a taste of his own meds.

~Playing the same song over and over again doesn't make it good music~

CaptainMichael

You wanna talk about the kind of black eye that Disney can/could never come back from?

Imagine watching a wrecking ball take a a few whacks at Sleeping Beauty Castle or Space Mountain or Small World so they build high rise apartments on the site ... watch them implode the HKDL Hotel ... or maybe turn it into a Hyatt.

Thanks for posting your article. I enjoyed reading it. I believe there is no way to recover from such images, but I could be wrong. Hopefully, everything will be resolved, but with Jay and Silent Bob at the helm, I'm not so sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom