Wow. This is getting bad...

menamechris

Original Poster
http://www.wftv.com/news/27056212/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Walt Disney World janitor was arrested in downtown Orlando Wednesday for trying to meet a 14-year-old girl for ______, said the Florida Attorney General’s Office.

Investigators said 19-year-old Roy Richmond had spent the last three days chatting with who he thought was a teen girl online, but it turned out to be authorities.

Officers said they made plans to meet. Richmond showed up at a parking lot on Central Boulevard in downtown Orlando, driving his wife's car. Investigators said Richmond had a steak knife in his pocket when officers took him down.

Richmond has a 2-month-old and officers said that his baby’s car seat was in the back of the vehicle at the time.

WFTV was there when Richmond was arrested.

"Roy, what were doing here? Were you trying to pick up a 14-year-old girl?" WFTV reporter Jamie Holmes asked Richmond.

However, Richmond did not respond.

Investigators said they don't know why Richmond had a steak knife in his pocket at the time of his arrest.

"Roy, why did you have a knife in your pocket? What was the knife for?" Holmes asked.

Richmond told investigators he had the knife just in case the girl turned out to be a guy, but authorities said Richmond spoke with what he thought was the girl on the phone.

Investigators said whatever Richmond had planned, it wasn't good.

"Roy, were you planning on have ______ with that girl?" Holmes asked.

Again, Richmond did not respond.

Walt Disney World had no comment on the matter.

Lucky

Now there's a major law enforcement & TV journalistic accomplishment: setting up a teenage janitor who wanted to meet a teenager.

zooey

If pressed, I could name a few people that I think are dubious hires, and the company I work for has maybe 50 permanent employees. WDW has 60 THOUSAND employees. The real news is that this kind of thing doesn't happen far more often.
Something similar happened with that murder in Celebration last year. The real news was not that it happened, but that it took so long (especially when considering the proximity to crime-ridden Orlando) for a murder to occur. It's sensationalist media at its worst, latching onto something that has a supposed wholesome image and pointing at it with this, "got you!" attitude that is altogether nauseating.

Crockett

Banned
"Roy, what were doing here? Were you trying to pick up a 14-year-old girl?"
Now that's cutting to the chase.

Had it been Chris Hansen with To Catch A Predator, he would have been much more smooth with the build-up to the question.

Chris Hansen: "Well hi there Roy. What are you doing out here tonight?"

Roy: "Uh, nothing."

Chris Hansen: "Why don't you have a seat over there."

Roy: "I, uh, was just leaving."

Chris Hansen: "No go on, have a seat right over there."

Roy: "There's no seat. This is a parking lot".

Chris Hansen: "So why did you come to this house tonight?"

Roy: "We're not in a house."

Chris Hansen: "You don't need to lie, Roy, I have the entire transcript right here."

Roy: "Oh"

Chris Hansen: "It says here you wanted to meet....

WFTV needs to learn from the master.

Larry Mondello

http://www.wftv.com/news/27056212/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Walt Disney World janitor was arrested in downtown Orlando Wednesday for trying to meet a 14-year-old girl for ______, said the Florida Attorney General’s Office.

Investigators said 19-year-old Roy Richmond had spent the last three days chatting with who he thought was a teen girl online, but it turned out to be authorities.

Officers said they made plans to meet. Richmond showed up at a parking lot on Central Boulevard in downtown Orlando, driving his wife's car. Investigators said Richmond had a steak knife in his pocket when officers took him down.

Richmond has a 2-month-old and officers said that his baby’s car seat was in the back of the vehicle at the time.

WFTV was there when Richmond was arrested.

"Roy, what were doing here? Were you trying to pick up a 14-year-old girl?" WFTV reporter Jamie Holmes asked Richmond.

However, Richmond did not respond.

Investigators said they don't know why Richmond had a steak knife in his pocket at the time of his arrest.

"Roy, why did you have a knife in your pocket? What was the knife for?" Holmes asked.

Richmond told investigators he had the knife just in case the girl turned out to be a guy, but authorities said Richmond spoke with what he thought was the girl on the phone.

Investigators said whatever Richmond had planned, it wasn't good.

"Roy, were you planning on have ______ with that girl?" Holmes asked.

Again, Richmond did not respond.

Walt Disney World had no comment on the matter.

The article clearly says Ex-Janitor and Former Disney employee. I'm curious as to why the OP deleted those words from his cut and paste. That said, I wonder if they would have mentioned his place of employment if he worked at Best Buy?

menamechris

Original Poster
The article clearly says Ex-Janitor and Former Disney employee. I'm curious as to why the OP deleted those words from his cut and paste. That said, I wonder if they would have mentioned his place of employment if he worked at Best Buy?

I cut and pasted directly from the article I linked when it was first released. They did not first report that it was a former Disney employee. So it has been edited since on their website. (No, there is no conspiracy in my cut and paste.) As if it had been an employee of Best Buy - they probably would have mentioned it - but who would take notice?

As a side note - its a bit of news. Not a hard hitting thread guys :) Just posted it given Disney's bad luck in the news as of late.

Larry Mondello

I cut and pasted directly from the article I linked - so it may have been edited later by the website. No, there is no conspiracy in my cut and paste. As if it had been an employee of Best Buy - they probably would have mentioned it - but who would take notice?

Yes I believe you, this happens all the time on our local news websites. They will report something with facts left out to make it more sensational and then just change the story later with out any mention that they mis-reported before or indication that it was edited.

Walt Disney1955

Let's say the guy was going to to something sinister, then they nailed him pretty good and I support that.

However, this is a kid who just graduated high school picking up a girl who is actually in high school. Maybe he carries a knife with him a lot who knows? The ages 19 to 14 are not all that big of a deal to me. If he's 30 and she's 14 then okay that's a story to me. But 19? Man that's getting a little petty. And why even bother mentioning where he works?

Walt Disney1955

Have you read some of the comments on there though? Some of them go along the lines of: "This is why you don't take your kids to Disneyland"

"I'd never take my kids there, it is no longer the happiest place on earth"

Come on people get a life. What are you going to do leave your 10 year old alone all day wandering around the whole place?

There is a funny story within my family. In early 1995 we went to Epcot. My dad, likely intent on exploring without a couple of teenagers holding him back, claimed to need to use the bathroom and my mom, sister and myself waited for him.....................and then didn't see him until Illuminations. Our theory is that he ditched us for the day. He claims he got turned around and didn't see us at our meeting place. :lol: Anyway, to this day it is still a big joke (although Mom gave him the business a bit at the end of the night). My point is the three of us still had a great day at Epcot and somehow we survived without being staked out.

Crockett

Banned
And why even bother mentioning where he works?
That's what I don't get. The editors make the story sound like Disney is responsible for the incident, and is infested with perverted CM's. Far from the truth. It would have been different had Disney known this man was like this, kept him on property working in a family place, and was encouraging such behavior. Yet that is how some people take this story after reading some of the comments on that site. And when you read an article title which states: "Disney employee arrested for..(insert crime here)...", then it is no longer about the man or his crime, but oddly turns into a "what's wrong with WDW?" debate. Funny how one word can completely turn the story around and give it a new, undeserving culprit. The editors know this all too well.

I cut and pasted directly from the article I linked when it was first released. They did not first report that it was a former Disney employee. So it has been edited since on their website. (No, there is no conspiracy in my cut and paste.) As if it had been an employee of Best Buy - they probably would have mentioned it - but who would take notice?

As a side note - its a bit of news. Not a hard hitting thread guys :) Just posted it given Disney's bad luck in the news as of late.

Reguardless of whether or not he worked there Walt Disney World employees thousands of people. Can't expect there not to be a few bad eggs.

bgraham34

Reguardless of whether or not he worked there Walt Disney World employees thousands of people. Can't expect there not to be a few bad eggs.

Exactly right. I worked in a company of 15 people once and 2 of them within 6 months were arrested for ______ related crimes.

Chevross

Let's say the guy was going to to something sinister, then they nailed him pretty good and I support that.

However, this is a kid who just graduated high school picking up a girl who is actually in high school. Maybe he carries a knife with him a lot who knows? The ages 19 to 14 are not all that big of a deal to me. If he's 30 and she's 14 then okay that's a story to me. But 19? Man that's getting a little petty. And why even bother mentioning where he works?

I agree with this, the age difference isn't bad, it's just 5 years between two teenagers. And he didn't come out and say he had intended to have :zipit: with her, he kept his mouth shut, which is the smart thing to do when you know a lawyer is most likely going to get involved. Who is to say what he was going to do, yeah, it doesn't look good, but why should a News article make assumptions?

Poorly written article that is clearly biased.

*Plus the 14 year old girl was the creation of the authorities by what the article states.

Lucky

The story should have focused on how sleazy broadcast "journalism" has become, as shown by WFTV's role in manufacturing this incident.

wizards8507

This whole thing is To Catch A Predator's fault. I don't know when American society began to tolerate entrapment, but this is the equivalent of a policeman dressing as a burglar, breaking into your home, and then trying to arrest you for assault on a police officer when you shoot him in the leg.

Lucky

You'd think if the best the police and WFTV could do is to catch a 19 year old trying to meet another teenager they'd admit defeat and try again. If it's too hard to entrap someone older, maybe they should use their resources differently. There's enough real crime around that goes unsolved that the police should have better things to do than create their own crimes.

MagicSparkyFan

Obviously this thread really isn't Disney related, however, I applaud the police for arresting this man. In my opinion, there is a HUGE difference between a 19 year old and a 14 year old. To me, a police officer posing as a 14 year old on the internet(and phone call) is the same as one posing as a "lady of the streets". Just because nothing happened in the end does not mean this guy is not guilty. The news coverage is :shrug:

Rinx

This really has absolutely NOTHING to do with Disney so I do not at all see the relevance as to why the article mentions it. He's a former CM and it took place nowhere near property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom