Wow, Concert ticket prices!!

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Jeez, forget Disney prices... My two nieces are huge Bruno Mars fans so the great auntie that I am thought to surprise them with tickets... NOT. 500 bucks a pop.
Is this normal, I admit I think the last big time concert I went to was live aid back in 85😂🤣

Figgy1

Premium Member
Jeez, forget Disney prices... My two nieces are huge Bruno Mars fans so the great auntie that I am thought to surprise them with tickets... NOT. 500 bucks a pop.
Is this normal, I admit I think the last big time concert I went to was live aid back in 85😂🤣
Not sure about current prices but not that long ago(pre crazy times) Hamilton tickets were going for over 1000

flynnibus

Premium Member

People don't even blink at $200 anymore... ~$100 is pretty typical for any basic seats at national touring act. If you are a mega draw or low volume 3-4x that easy.

People are paying 500-1000 for 'special' seats, etc. It's unreal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The other part that is obscene now (and downright criminal) is the percentage of 'fees' now. They can almost double the price. It's just BS to charge more than they advertise.

I paid $448 for 2 'normal' tickets to billy joel in summer 2019. Now, you pay more to be near the end of a row, at the front of a section, etc... and I was in the stands in a stadium!

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Not sure about current prices but not that long ago(pre crazy times) Hamilton tickets were going for over 1000
Don't get me started, my girlfriends and I went to see Hamilton, yeppers 400 per person and sadly as a native NY'er I can remember going to see Phantom of the Opera for 78 buck.
Lin-manuel did take a lot of flack about how the ticket prices were out of reach for most of NYC

John park hopper

Can't remember when I last went to a concert or even the movies for me the costs just became ridiculous. Rather spend the money on something else.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
If it's a major venue, you're gonna be paying those prices. If it's a random hole in the wall type place, you'll be paying next to nothing. The last "major" concert I went to was All That Remains and Asking Alexandria and the tickets were 20 bucks.

SSH

Can't remember when I last went to a concert or even the movies for me the costs just became ridiculous. Rather spend the money on something else.
agreed. I see so many things I'd like to attend, but unlike many people who complain, but then pay it anyway, I just feel so aggravated and ripped off at some of these asking prices, bogus "service" fees etc. that I can't enjoy the actual event as a result.

We're just lower income working folks, with salaries frozen for years while health, auto, home insurance and other costs skyrocket - so something must give if we want to retire someday. I guess paid entertainment like concerts, theme parks, etc are it.

I remember when all of this was reasonably priced for the average working person, even during higher inflationary times. I don't understand why it's so out of control now - I guess there are so many tech, financial and other higher paid workers these days that it's skewed the price of things. :(

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Don't get me started, my girlfriends and I went to see Hamilton, yeppers 400 per person and sadly as a native NY'er I can remember going to see Phantom of the Opera for 78 buck.
Lin-manuel did take a lot of flack about how the ticket prices were out of reach for most of NYC
One of the best concerts when I was a kid was free Beach Boys on the Beach in AC 4th of July. Hall and Oats in Liberty State Park also 4th of July not expensive but it was a fundraiser for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island so it went to a good cause. Both with fireworks

wdwfan4ver

I recalled reading about 5 to 10 years ago that the business model for signers making has changed. The Singers don't make the money in record deals like they used to anymore and the real money is in concert touring.

I hate to say, Bruno Mars ticket prices are not that off. This is not like TSO concert tickets. TSO is more of the exception of ticket pricing compare to other groups and artists.

I think Rolling Stones has the record of most expansive tickets. They had their concert tickets as high as $624.00.

Ticket prices don't surprise me though. Back in 1994, the Eagles were the first band to charge $100.00 per concert ticket. I recalled my dad was interested in seeing them in concert, but was not willing to spend that type of money.

I did research and found out that Tyler Swift Concerts back in 2015 had concert tickets as expensive as $432.00 and that is in line with what you are mentioning for Bruno Mars. The cheapest seats were 10 times cheaper at the time for Tyler Swift. Back in 2019, Lady Gaga concert tickets were going for an average of $420.49 per ticket based on research on most expensive concert tickets.

The only way this will stop is if people stop paying these expensive prices for tickets because the bands and artists are having these prices based on much people are willing to pay.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I recalled reading about 5 to 10 years ago that the business model for signers making has changed. The Singers don't make the money in record deals like they used to anymore and the real money is in concert touring.

More specifically - they don't make their money in their record sales anymore.. so in turn their signing deals aren't as good. People don't buy music anymore like they used to and the royalties in streaming deals are dreadful. Touring has always been the bread & butter for bands because they get the money from the tours.. and also why merchandise selling on tours is so critical (and expensive) for the same reason. Now, these factors are bigger than ever because the big record royalties and signings are a thing of the past.

Where a lot of the ugliness has come in is on the ticketing and venues. Just like we had the ticketmaster issues in the 90s... once again monopolies are a huge problem in concerts. The people that own the venues has consolidation... and then there is vertical integration with companies like live nation. So there gets to be bundling, 'have to use our ticketing..' etc kind of scenarios that have crippled the idea of open market in venues and ticketing.

Lilofan

I hate to say, Bruno Mars ticket prices are not that off. This is not like TSO concert tickets. TSO is more of the exception of ticket pricing compare to other groups and artists.

I think Rolling Stones has the record of most expansive tickets. They had their concert tickets as high as $624.00.

Ticket prices don't surprise me though. Back in 1994, the Eagles were the first band to charge $100.00 per concert ticket. I recalled my dad was interested in seeing them in concert, but was not willing to spend that type of money.

I did research and found out that Tyler Swift Concerts back in 2015 had concert tickets as expensive as $432.00 and that is in line with what you are mentioning for Bruno Mars. The cheapest seats were 10 times cheaper at the time for Tyler Swift. Back in 2019, Lady Gaga concert tickets were going for an average of $420.49 per ticket based on research on most expensive concert tickets.

The only way this will stop is if people stop paying these expensive prices for tickets because the bands and artists are having these prices based on much people are willing to pay.
Makes a one day ticket to MK sound like a bargain.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Out here on the left coast, there's a nostalgia act I've been going to see in concert forever. Catch them every few years. Currently only two original band members still alive. Think the last time I saw them, I paid like $100 for a side balcony seat at the same mid-sized venue. This time (billed as the last tour... again...), the best seats are running $1100+ from the venue, not scalped. Next section back starts at $600. And $100 might get me way up in the nosebleeds where I won't be able to actually see the performers on the stage though I could at least still hear the music. lol For a pair of geriatric dudes who I love dearly and are hopefully still pretty spry, and whom I'd love to support by seeing them perform again live, but c'mon man!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here's a random example of a big name coming through town... Celine Dion. Remember this is a full size sports arena... so want to sit on the floor, maybe halfway back? Oh sorry, those are all 'VIP' package seats.. and two seats will run you.. look at this

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.17.51 PM.png

That's not resale... that's the listed price! And look at those absurd Service Fees... they have the audacity to claim a 15% 'fee' even on such insane prices.

Oh ok, but that's VIP... what if you don't want VIP. What if I just sit on the sides? Nope! Those lower seats are VIP too.. Find a straight price... and it will cost you this much...
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.19.53 PM.png

Wow... service 'fees' they need to survive on and justify their prices with magically drop $100 per ticket because the fee is total BS vs building it into the ticket as a cost as it should be. "order processing fee" for a digital ticket... again, non-sense that is PART OF YOUR DOING BUSINESS... as you are a TICKET SELLER.

I first looked at the Jimmy Buffet concert.. since they tour a ton and usually play outdoor venues, etc. Resale on front row? 10k is what they are asking... and if you paid that, you'd pay $1,900 in service fees for a single ticket. And, ticketmaster would also collect another 15% from the seller... so ticketmaster would collect over $3300 in fees for a single digital ticket sale...

That's how freaking broke this world is until they break them up again.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Here's a random example of a big name coming through town... Celine Dion. Remember this is a full size sports arena... so want to sit on the floor, maybe halfway back? Oh sorry, those are all 'VIP' package seats.. and two seats will run you.. look at this

View attachment 566980

That's not resale... that's the listed price! And look at those absurd Service Fees... they have the audacity to claim a 15% 'fee' even on such insane prices.

Oh ok, but that's VIP... what if you don't want VIP. What if I just sit on the sides? Nope! Those lower seats are VIP too.. Find a straight price... and it will cost you this much...
View attachment 566981

Wow... service 'fees' they need to survive on and justify their prices with magically drop $100 per ticket because the fee is total BS vs building it into the ticket as a cost as it should be. "order processing fee" for a digital ticket... again, non-sense that is PART OF YOUR DOING BUSINESS... as you are a TICKET SELLER.

I first looked at the Jimmy Buffet concert.. since they tour a ton and usually play outdoor venues, etc. Resale on front row? 10k is what they are asking... and if you paid that, you'd pay $1,900 in service fees for a single ticket. And, ticketmaster would also collect another 15% from the seller... so ticketmaster would collect over $3300 in fees for a single digital ticket sale...

That's how freaking broke this world is until they break them up again.
That's insane

right before the pandemic hit, a few theaters on broadway were sued because they were still charging a "9/11" fee. 20 years later. :mad:

As always I feel bad for the "youngins" who will not experience the joy of a live concert.

The musician Questlove (he's the drummer for the band, the roots and also the band manager for the late night show with Jimmy fallon) has a documentary out called the summer of soul. about 6 weeks of free concerts in Harlem during 1969 that pretty much feature every R&B act know to God.
Can't imagine that every happening today. 😁

Disstevefan1

I am a huge Bruno Mars fan! But not at 500 a ticket! I will just wait for the live concert album to come out 😀

SSH

the saddest part is many people will just whip out their credit card and chant YOLO as they go deeper in debt and prices just go higher and higher. Seems like too many people are willing to pay any price to get what they want and worry about the consequences later.

Heppenheimer

More specifically - they don't make their money in their record sales anymore.. so in turn their signing deals aren't as good. People don't buy music anymore like they used to and the royalties in streaming deals are dreadful. Touring has always been the bread & butter for bands because they get the money from the tours.. and also why merchandise selling on tours is so critical (and expensive) for the same reason. Now, these factors are bigger than ever because the big record royalties and signings are a thing of the past.

Where a lot of the ugliness has come in is on the ticketing and venues. Just like we had the ticketmaster issues in the 90s... once again monopolies are a huge problem in concerts. The people that own the venues has consolidation... and then there is vertical integration with companies like live nation. So there gets to be bundling, 'have to use our ticketing..' etc kind of scenarios that have crippled the idea of open market in venues and ticketing.
I saw a prediction a few months ago... just as file-sharing killed the rock star (well, not really, but it did put a huge dent in what was traditionally the biggest source of their income), streaming will kill the movie star. A few big-name legacy stars will manage to demand and receive large salaries, but with streaming generating a fraction of the income that box office receipts provided, the pie of available money available to actors has shrunk significantly.

(This is not my necessarily my personal opinion, only based on what I read).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom