Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
I just wanted to throw a poll out there to see what the general idea was. It is obvious that thematically the southern inspired ride like Splash Mountain is not the most appropriate fit for a land like Frontierland. Of course the ride is so popular the thematic break goes unnoticed by even the biggest of Disney fans. Yea the music was changed a little to fit a more western theme, but would a new theme be the better fit for Frontierland? For example would it be acceptable to maybe do a retheme with something along the lines of Western River Expedition? Change the scenes and ideas from years ago into something more modern, but keep the old track system?

Alter the outside of the mountain to fit the themeing of Thunder Mountain next door, and you have a pretty cool looking land. Anyhoo...was just curios...

copcarguyp71

Well...at least it works better than fume spewing go carts in "tomorrowland".

I understand where you are coming from at some level I guess but no, I would neither support nor do I think it necessary to skew the thematic premise. It is IMO one of the most well developed and immersive rides in terms of queue, story and ride crescendo. To lose or change any of that would be a true loss for the park and experience.

harryk

Why fix what is not broken!! This themed ride gives homage to one of Walt's finest pictures where cartoons are immersed inside of live action. It also reminds people of the Uncle Remus stories and may cause some to look up what it is all about in that the "Song of the South" may never again air in the 'politically correct' United States.

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
Interesting, and im kind of on both sides. On one side I believe nothing should be considered sacred and the thematic break is a problem. On the other hand I like the ride and the story.

So thematic break is ok in this sense?

SeanWM48

OP i get what you're saying but, to me and to most, Splash is one of those rides that might as well stay frozen in time at this point. Re-doing it would be a huge risk and rub a lot of people the wrong way, even if it created a more cohesive atmosphere.

it's also not THAT far removed from the rest of the area. bluegrass music, logs and animals all fit in with the frontier idea, even if it is more southern based

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
OP i get what you're saying but, to me and to most, Splash is one of those rides that might as well stay frozen in time at this point. Re-doing it would be a huge risk and rub a lot of people the wrong way, even if it created a more cohesive atmosphere.

it's also not THAT far removed from the rest of the area. bluegrass music, logs and animals all fit in with the frontier idea, even if it is more southern based
Right and that was more my point to just see what people thought. I mean I love the ride but I was curious of the overall thoughts.

DizneyPryncess

I wouldn't change it - it's one of my favorite attractions as is. My daughter loves the soundtrack and sings it all the time. One of my favorite memories is taking her on it for the first time. I'd be sad if it became something different.

danyoung56

...it's also not THAT far removed from the rest of the area. bluegrass music, logs and animals all fit in with the frontier idea, even if it is more southern based

I don't see any thematic problem at all. Frontierland doesn't need to be just the Wild West. A southern mountain populated by whimsical critters seems to fit in perfectly with the Frontierland concept.

Fox&Hound

Never in a million years. =) Plus, the Wild West was a very popular concept for Americans in the recent past. Shows like Davey Crockett really cemented the idea in our culture. Is it just me, or does the Wild West not have as much appeal to younger generations as it did to older generations? I don't see people yearning for more wild west concepts in Fronteirland as much as they just want new experiences in general. So, I guess I'm trying to say, why change a beloved ride in order to better fit a theme people seem less interested in? This is in no way meant to offend though who love the thrill of the Wild West, it just seems like a part of history that is no longer as loved as it once was...

acishere

Frontierland has always been a mishmash of Wild West and Southern theming. They have found a way to make both fit visually without them clashing. To get rid of Splash would also mean removing Tom Sawyer. Country Bears is not my favorite, but they mash the two themes together as well.

So it will take a lot more than bulldozing Splash to make the land fully Western.

blueboxdoctor

Keep it how it is. Western themes haven't been popular for a while. Splash Mountain also has the benefit of animal/cartoon-y characters, unlike Thunder Mountain. It works for TM because it's a runaway train coaster that is very well decorated. However, at this point Splash Mountain has become kind of iconic and to change that to a less relevant Western theme wouldn't make much sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom