Would you risk this?

Tom

Beta Return
One concern I would have with buying VB or HHI with the intent on using those points to mostly stay at WDW is there is always the possibility that VB/HHI could be sold off or somehow separated from the WDW pool and you would have points that could not be used at WDW.

I don't know all the legalities, so don't quote me on this, but since the points are technically DVC points, I don't think an owner at HHI or VB would be harnessed to the new Owners of those resorts. Disney would simply buy back the contracts as part of the sale, and probably allow (encourage) you to buy into DVC elsewhere.

Regardless, I would never buy points at HHI or VB, simply for the fact that I never plan to visit those resorts, and because I want my fall-back resort to be on property (SSR), if nothing else is available.

Also, 600 points is WAY too big for one contract. That's for someone who's retired and wants to live at HHI or VB for half the year. Definitely not for a casual WDW visitor.

tjkraz

I suspect Disney gets a break on property taxes in Orlando they dont get anywhere else, which will make the non wdw Dvc resort's maintenance fees rise higher than the ones in Orlando. That as well as the hits HH and VB may have endured due to prop damage.

Property taxes aren't bad--third lowest after Hilton Head and Aulani. All of the WDW properties get dinged pretty good by Orange County.

(Side note: some members were complaining about 2012 increases to property taxes, claiming that Disney didn't fight hard enough against the increases. The DVC resorts are probably less than 1% of all taxes paid by WDW so I suspect they would work pretty hard to question any increases from the county.)

Insurance is a big one for Vero. Some WDW resorts pay $.06 - .08 per point for insurance. Vero is $.81 per point.

Other than that, most other categories are higher across the board. Economies of scale come into play with much of it. On a per-point (or per-room) basis, it costs more to operate and maintain a resort like Vero with only about 100 rooms vs. alternatives like SSR with 900 rooms, OKW with 550, AKV with 450, etc.

Many DVC resorts share expenses with the Disney-owned hotel component but Vero is all timeshare. Let's say a resort has minimum front desk staffing of 2 Cast Member at all times (to allow for breaks, meals, emergencies, etc.) At a shared facility like BoardWalk, Beach Club, Contemporary, etc., you would essentially have DVC paying for roughly one of the CMs while the other is being funded by the hotel. At Vero DVC dues are paying for both CMs.

Full 2012 budgets for the resorts are posted here:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/2012-resort-budgets

captainkidd

Original Poster
600 points? Do you travel with an entourage?

We go for 13 nights in the summer. Even if we cut that down to just 11, it's still 456 points for a 1 bedroom villa.

Add in a week in January, and you've actually got more than 600 points.

There's 5 of us. We need at least a 1 bedroom. It is what it is.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Also, 600 points is WAY too big for one contract. That's for someone who's retired and wants to live at HHI or VB for half the year. Definitely not for a casual WDW visitor.

Half a year? 600 points, in a studio, would get you about 5 weeks per year at Vero Beach. Wouldn't even get you an entire month in a 1 bedroom. And that's during Value Season.

disneyeater

We go for 13 nights in the summer. Even if we cut that down to just 11, it's still 456 points for a 1 bedroom villa.

Add in a week in January, and you've actually got more than 600 points.

There's 5 of us. We need at least a 1 bedroom. It is what it is.

Yeah, 5 is a tough number and combine that with the number of days you are down there (jealous) that can add up fast.

WWWD

I would look at a smaller contract then bank/borrow when needed. That way you can get into DVC and receive discounts available to members - sounds like you would save on DVC annual passes and Tables in Wonderland.

We are also a family of 5 and bought resale in BCV. We have enough points to stay in a one bedroom for a week. If we go more than one a year, we use codes or DVC discount for our stay.

tjkraz

I would look at a smaller contract then bank/borrow when needed. That way you can get into DVC and receive discounts available to members - sounds like you would save on DVC annual passes and Tables in Wonderland.

We are also a family of 5 and bought resale in BCV. We have enough points to stay in a one bedroom for a week. If we go more than one a year, we use codes or DVC discount for our stay.

Another approach would be to buy a smaller contract and then look for a point transfer to fund other trips. It's similar to renting but the recipient has full control of the points transferred-in. If any aspect of the trip needs to be changed (dates, resort, travel party, DDP, DME, waitlist) the recipient can handle it all him/herself.

Once the points are in the account, the member surrendering the points no longer has any control whatsoever.

Tom

Beta Return
Half a year? 600 points, in a studio, would get you about 5 weeks per year at Vero Beach. Wouldn't even get you an entire month in a 1 bedroom. And that's during Value Season.

I was exaggerating. 600 points is just plain a lot of points. But I also didn't realize you spent 2 weeks down there at a time. That's a long trip. Are you from the UK, or do you just get a lot of vacation time?

foreverbelle

I actually don't think you will have as much of a issue as you think in regards to booking. Two years ago at 7 marks we booked a full week at a AKL w/2 bedroom, along with a studio for my entire family. Our home resort is SSR. This year we were able to get 8 days at WL with a 2 bdr as my parents where going to come with us for the middle of July, then changed our mind when my parents dropped out and decided to try for BWV which we have never stayed at. We were able to get a 1 bdr-fine for a party of 3 of us-for 10 days, yes we extended it.

So it is quite possible at 7 even 6 months out, you just have to make sure you call then and know what you want, and now with on-line booking you can actually see what they have available before you book. So if the resort you requested isn't available they will give you other options.

slappy magoo

captainkidd,

I know it'd be more than those Vero Beach points, but if it's about saving some money for such a big investment, "split the difference" and buy resale at OKW, SSR, or AKV. I know these resorts don't interest you as much, but you admitted you'd be resigned to staying at Saratoga if it meant you got to stay at WDW instead of VB if you bought VB points, so may as well buy Saratoga points. This way, you can definitely book a Disney vacation at an 11-month window, and then try to switch at the seven while still being able to plan for stuff like airfare or time off work. Those resorts arent as cheap as HH or VB, but still less than any other onsite resorts (at least OKW & SSR, anyway) with comparatively lower maintenance fees, too. And if you have the same luck everyone else seems to have with the seven month window, you'll rarely if ever stay in SSR.

Note: I've been DVC SSR since '05. One time, 12/08, early in the month, we absolutely could not transfer anywhere else, even at the seven month window and even with wait lists. But 8/07, 8/11 (which we subsequently had to cancel) and our upcoming trip, all were/are not in SSR. So we're 1 for 4. But I also don't have the aversion to SSR lots of people seem to have, so I never feel "stuck" staying there, just want to eventually try all the on-site resorts.

foreverbelle

captainkidd,

I know it'd be more than those Vero Beach points, but if it's about saving some money for such a big investment, "split the difference" and buy resale at OKW, SSR, or AKV. I know these resorts don't interest you as much, but you admitted you'd be resigned to staying at Saratoga if it meant you got to stay at WDW instead of VB if you bought VB points, so may as well buy Saratoga points. This way, you can definitely book a Disney vacation at an 11-month window, and then try to switch at the seven while still being able to plan for stuff like airfare or time off work. Those resorts arent as cheap as HH or VB, but still less than any other onsite resorts (at least OKW & SSR, anyway) with comparatively lower maintenance fees, too. And if you have the same luck everyone else seems to have with the seven month window, you'll rarely if ever stay in SSR.

Note: I've been DVC SSR since '05. One time, 12/08, early in the month, we absolutely could not transfer anywhere else, even at the seven month window and even with wait lists. But 8/07, 8/11 (which we subsequently had to cancel) and our upcoming trip, all were/are not in SSR. So we're 1 for 4. But I also don't have the aversion to SSR lots of people seem to have, so I never feel "stuck" staying there, just want to eventually try all the on-site resorts.

Fully agree.

And I don't have the aversion to SSR myself either so I don't mind staying there at all.

Pastgrand

You seem very knowledgeable about DVC. I wanted to join way back when OKW was the first. Never have. Now, with 73 WDW visits later and 8 DCL cruises, not sure if I was right or stupid not to do DVC. We have an old tmshr in Sedona, and the annual fees aren't that bad, but wife has buyers a remorse over how values drop, having maintanence fees every year, and that fees increase. Give me some good advice on buying possibly a resale out ther on DVC,

slappy magoo

captainkidd, I'm going to amend the last advice I gave you to make your life even easier or more difficult. You say you'll need around 600 points a year to have the sorts of vacations and accommodations you'd most want...

You may remember at one point, when you weren't sure if DVC was right for you, I suggested buying fewer points than you'd need for one trip, but bank-and/or-borrow the points to be able to stay in a DVC villa once every 2-3 years.

Well, now I'm going to suggest you consider this: Buy roughly 200 resale points at each of three different resorts, and always bank and borrow from each of them so in any one year you're using 600 points from one resort. This way you'll still be able to book one resort at the 11 month window (instead of three different trips for each home resort at the 11 month window hoping you'll be able to combine them all together into one trip at the seven month window). And if on any given year you're "stuck" at that home resort, at least it's a different home resort each year. And because they're 3 separate contracts, if you ever wanted or needed to sell just one, whether you needed some money or you're just not going to WDW as much as you used to, it'll be easier and retain more value than trying to sell one mammoth 600 point contract (as the seller from Vero Beach is probably now all-too-aware).

Come on, have I ever steered you wrong?

toolsnspools

captainkidd,
I was just thinking something very similar, but with a different twist. I've watched you struggling with the decision to buy into DVC for a while, but I never realized how big of a contract you were looking into. Since you go to WDW quite often, you could look into a single 200 pt contract. Combine using that with your normal vacations until you get a better feel for what DVC really has to offer. You can still take advantage of the seasonal discounts when they're available, and stay in the other resorts. Then bank/borrow as appropriate for an occasional stay using your DVC points. You can still take advantage of the DVC perks, like discounted APs etc., even when you're staying at a regularly booked room. You may find that a 200pt contract suits your needs pretty well, and it's not nearly the financial commitment of a 600pt contract.

Tom

Beta Return
captainkidd,
I was just thinking something very similar, but with a different twist. I've watched you struggling with the decision to buy into DVC for a while, but I never realized how big of a contract you were looking into. Since you go to WDW quite often, you could look into a single 200 pt contract. Combine using that with your normal vacations until you get a better feel for what DVC really has to offer. You can still take advantage of the seasonal discounts when they're available, and stay in the other resorts. Then bank/borrow as appropriate for an occasional stay using your DVC points. You can still take advantage of the DVC perks, like discounted APs etc., even when you're staying at a regularly booked room. You may find that a 200pt contract suits your needs pretty well, and it's not nearly the financial commitment of a 600pt contract.

This really makes the most sense. I wouldn't recommend anyone jump into DVC with more than 200 points, unless they're quite wealthy, and/or have done significant research and analysis of their situation.

Buying 600 points at once is pretty intense. But starting with one 200 point contract and testing the DVC waters that way would be a wise way to go. But again, be sure the financial impact works for you, long term. You can't just unload a contract on a moment's notice if things get tight at home.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I feel as though I have a pretty good sense of the DVC waters. There are things I don't care for (no housekeeping), but I've stayed renting points quite a few times now. And one thing there's no denying - The 1 bedroom villas have me won over.

I did think about buying so many points, then adding on in the future, but it's sort of like the whole thing with buying a house right now. Interest rates are so low, blah blah blah. DVC points will just continue to rise. The longer I wait, the more expensive it becomes.

Tom

Beta Return
I feel as though I have a pretty good sense of the DVC waters. There are things I don't care for (no housekeeping), but I've stayed renting points quite a few times now. And one thing there's no denying - The 1 bedroom villas have me won over.

I did think about buying so many points, then adding on in the future, but it's sort of like the whole thing with buying a house right now. Interest rates are so low, blah blah blah. DVC points will just continue to rise. The longer I wait, the more expensive it becomes.

You DO get housekeeping, just not every day. I believe you get trash and towel service after your third night.

We love the 1 BR Villas.

Disney finances the points for you, if you buy a new contract from them (based on credit). I don't think their rate fluctuates like the rest of the market, since they're using their own money. Plus, if you finance with them, the credit bureaus never know, so it doesn't show up as another giant debt on your credit report. And if you default, Disney just takes the points back and that's the end of it.

Regardless of how many points you buy, don't buy a 600-pt contract. Break it up into smaller contracts at different resorts (choose your top 3) so that you have lots of flexibility. You could still do your 14-night trips, but you'd just book two reservations and have a split stay.

Annielkd

I found a great resale price at Vero Beach. It would cover the amount of points we'd need in a year (over 600), and the price is excellent. However, we have no desire to ever stay there. We go to WDW for 1 week in January and 2 weeks in mid July. Given the 7 month window rule, do you think we'd have any problems getting a 1 bedroom for those 2 weeks in July at either Wilderness, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom?

I know there's no definite yes or no answer to this, but based on your experiences, would this be a good idea?

I think it's worth it. I don't think you will have a problem getting into any of the places EXCEPT Bay Lake. If you book 7 months in advance you should have no problem at all. January isn't overbooked. I don't know about July... but, even in April (where it's busy... Animal Kindgom was free up to 2 months before... and we got into Boardwalk no problem. I don't like the vacation club though... I wish I didn't have it.

Sharkreef11

Do it do it do it do it! Haha :wave:

There certainly are risks but you and your family love going to Disney. You said it yourself, you go twice a year. In the long run I don't see it hurting you. No matter what route you go I think you will find the benefit in DVC long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom