Would you rather...

pumpkin7

Original Poster
We're planning a trip in 2013 (21st June - 5th July) with my parents. We're staying on I-Drive, at the moment looking at the Enclave Suites.
The biggest problem I'm finding at the moment is finding a hotel that offers a free shuttle to Disney. We won't be driving (I wouldn't mind driving but I'll be 24 at the time of the trip so I'm guessing the insurance would be insane and I don't fancy paying $15 a day to park at Disney/Universal), so we really need a good shuttle.
It seems though that you either have to pay for the shuttle (Enclave Suites for example is $12 per person there and back) or you have to pay a room charge (typically $8 a day per room) which obviously covers the cost of this free shuttle. It's either that or pay well over £1000 pp for the room. We're trying to keep it under the £4000 mark for the entire trip (not including food spends).
So my question is would you rather pay for the Disney shuttle, which we would probably use on around 7 occassions, or would you pay the room tax?
Or can any one offer me any more advice? Thanks.

We have used the shuttles before many times to get to and from the parks so I know they aren't brilliant - during our honeymoon our hotel offered a pick up at 8am and 10am, and bought you back at either 6pm or 10pm. The only good thing was that if there were more people wanting a ride than there was space in the shuttle, they bought on an extra shuttle.

edit: Seems we can also get the Lynx bus from $2 pp to Disney and back. I know that takes a while though sometimes because we tried that last trip.

LizC

Seems like you are will be in Orlando a long time, if you are planning on being in the parks alot why not get an annual pass, then parking is free. Plus you get a few other perks. Of course this is only worth it in some circumstances, just throwing it out there though.

maryszhi

We're planning a trip in 2013 (21st June - 5th July) with my parents. We're staying on I-Drive, at the moment looking at the Enclave Suites.
The biggest problem I'm finding at the moment is finding a hotel that offers a free shuttle to Disney. We won't be driving (I wouldn't mind driving but I'll be 24 at the time of the trip so I'm guessing the insurance would be insane and I don't fancy paying $15 a day to park at Disney/Universal), so we really need a good shuttle.
It seems though that you either have to pay for the shuttle (Enclave Suites for example is $12 per person there and back) or you have to pay a room charge (typically $8 a day per room) which obviously covers the cost of this free shuttle. It's either that or pay well over £1000 pp for the room. We're trying to keep it under the £4000 mark for the entire trip (not including food spends).
So my question is would you rather pay for the Disney shuttle, which we would probably use on around 7 occassions, or would you pay the room tax?

We have used the shuttles before many times to get to and from the parks so I know they aren't brilliant - during our honeymoon our hotel offered a pick up at 8am and 10am, and bought you back at either 6pm or 10pm. The only good thing was that if there were more people wanting a ride than there was space in the shuttle, they bought on an extra shuttle.

edit: Seems we can also get the Lynx bus from $2 pp to Disney and back. I know that takes a while though sometimes because we tried that last trip.
honestly i would try and stay on property. you might save money that way. also if on i drive i would look into the disney annual pass

pumpkin7

Original Poster
The reason I ask about a hotel with a shuttle is because no one in my family wants to drive. I would do it but I'm not old enough! Lol.
We don't want to stay on site because it's trying then to get off site if you aren't driving. We like I-Drive because there are places to eat and visit and keep us entertained. Plus it's close to everywhere we want to go, Universal, Seaworld, Wet n Wild etc and it's best if we're not driving. One year we may drive, but I don't think we will ever be able to afford to stay on site, even in the budget hotels. Maybe one year!
Thanks for the advice anyway guys :)

Fantasmic

I've been to WDW a lot... in 2007, 2009 and one week in 2011 we didn't have a car.
We stayed in WDW. It cost around £20 pp to get to Universal from Disney!
It was HELL on the buses... I can't imagine having to coach in from further away each day
We rented a car for the 2nd week of our holiday in 2011 and it was BLISS. SO easy. Don't be scared by driving on the "wrong" side of the road, it's so natural once you're sitting on the other side of the car.
We were so relaxed for the 2nd week of our hols being able to come and go as we please with no waiting for buses or anything like that!

Figgy1

Premium Member

You said you'd be going with your parents what about having them do the driving? Cheaper insurance. How about renting a condo or house usually cheaper than a hotel suite. Try adding the cost of a car, parking(once per day even with hopping) and a house or condo and see how you make out on cost. Good luck and happy planning.

coachwnh

I agree with the AP idea. If you are doing WDW at least 10 days (this trip combined with one in the next yr) you are better off doing the AP. There are so many perks (room discounts, free parking to name just two). I would really look into that. If you then stay on property and need a rental to universal, you can use the onsite car care center near the Poly. They have a shuttle to pick you up and drop you off at your resort. And that is free.

Disneyhead'71

The Radisson Hotel Orlando- International Drive has free shuttles and is a less expensive option than some of the other "free shuttle" hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom