Would you rather spend a day at Disney's Hollywood Studios, or Universal Studios?

Which park?

• Universal Studios

Votes: 168 56.4%
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios

Votes: 130 43.6%

• Total voters

BryceM

Original Poster
Past discussions on the forums about "which Studios park copied which Studios park", have sparked this question. I'm sure it's been discussed a ton in the past, but recently, each direction that each park is headed in has made this subject seem more hard for (I'm sure) many on this forum to answer.

Let's say that you have one single day in the Orlando area, and your only option is to do one of the Studios parks. If you choose Universal, you cannot visit Islands of Adventure, or if you choose DHS, you cannot visit any of the other Disney parks. In this scenario, both Transformers: The Ride and Springfield are open at Universal Studios, but London/Diagon Alley are still under construction. You will be staying late enough to visit either Fantasmic! or Universal's Cinematic Spectacular.

I don't want this to turn into a giant Disney vs. Universal debate (which it essentially is, hahahaha), I'm just curious which park that people on a mainly WDW fan-site think turned out to be superior, more fulfilling, worth your money, etc. (especially after the debates on "who copied who")

And by the way, it was kind of tough for me to decide because, honestly, both Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard (and the attractions within these lands) have such a big draw to me. I could easily just spend all of my time at DHS in these two lands, occasionally leaving them for Star Tours or TSMM. Though I think it's quite obvious that Universal Studios is the far better park.

disneyfan1995

I'd rather spend the day at DHS. You can make DHS last the entire day, but if you have the express pass over at Universal Studios you can be done that park in a little under 5 hours or so. I like all of the shows that DHS has to offer (VOTLM, BATB, Indiana Jones, LMA) whereas Universal only has two (Beetlejuice and Fear Factor.. the latter which is awful).

Universal's rides also seem to have a very common theme among them. Simulator. I don't really get much of a thrill going from one simulator to another.

BryceM

Original Poster
Universal only has two (Beetlejuice and Fear Factor.. the latter which is awful).
You forgot Terminator 2:3D and Universal's Horror Make-Up Show, both of which are amazing! Horror Make-Up is comedic, fun and very informative. I highly suggest seeing it next time! But yes, Fear Factor is dreadful. (Though it seems like it rarely ever plays, which is probably a good sign, haha)

disneyfan1995

You forgot Terminator 2:3D and Universal's Horror Make-Up Show, both of which are amazing! Horror Make-Up is comedic, fun and very informative. I highly suggest seeing it next time! But yes, Fear Factor is dreadful. (Though it seems like it rarely ever plays, which is probably a good sign, haha)

Oh shoot! Yes I did!! I enjoyed Terminator, but I did not experience the Make-Up show nor did I see Beetlejuice. I did not like, however that Terminator was only shown like every hour. So even with the express pass I think I waited 45 minutes for a 10 minute show.

The Empress Lilly

DHS for me. I just like it there, the magic is there for me. And its ride/show roster pushes all my buttons in all the right places (dirty minded puns are invited). ToT, RnRC, ST, VotLM are four of my fav things in Orlando, and I always find something else to do as well.

I do like UNI Studios a lot, still prefer it over IoA. Some great rides, and it's pretty too. :)

Californian Elitist

In regards to which came first, DHS may be older than USO, but USH came way before DHS and it's obvious Disney at the time was doing the Universal thing in trying the studio park thing. Difference is one's actual studio was a million times bigger (I'm not talking about just size, I'm also talking about status mainly); technically, Universal was first.

Based on offerings, I'd definitely head to USO, without a doubt. DHS just doesn't interest me... At all, really.

BryceM

Original Poster
Based on offerings, I'd definitely head to USO, without a doubt. DHS just doesn't interest me... At all, really.
I can see why. The only rides at DHS that you can't find it California are Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and The Great Movie Ride. Sure, there's shows, but in my opinion, seeing shows at a theme park are not a top priority. Though, our TOT is better, but nothing to make a trip out of if you've experienced it already in Cali.

At Universal Studios Florida, you've got these attractions which you can't experience at USH; E.T. Adventure, Hollywood Rip, Ride, RockIt, Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (for now), Men in Black: Alien Attack (FANTASTIC attraction), Twister: Ride it Out, Disaster!, all the KidZone rides, a far better Revenge of the Mummy, and all of the shows.

Plus, Universal Studios in Florida and Universal Studios in Hollywood are VERY different. If you've experienced one, you really haven't experienced the other. Universal Studios Florida is a very attractive park (except for some weak areas, which are being fixed) with distinct themed lands, such as New York, Hollywood, San Francisco, etc. instead of just "Lower Lot" and "Upper Lot". (not saying that that's bad!)

luv

First, it really wasn't a debate. I said Disney copied Uni and one slightly misinformed poster suggested otherwise...everyone else knew Disney copied Uni. And I harbor no ill will toward that slightly misinformed poster. Just want to clear that up, so nobody thinks there was fighting.

Second, asking this question on a Disney forum will get you many more DHS answers than asking the general public would. It would be a landslide win for Uni with the general population.

US is the better park.

Californian Elitist

I can see why. The only rides at DHS that you can't find it California are Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and The Great Movie Ride. Sure, there's shows, but in my opinion, seeing shows at a theme park are not a top priority. Though, our TOT is better, but nothing to make a trip out of if you've experienced it already in Cali.

At Universal Studios Florida, you've got these attractions which you can't experience at USH; E.T. Adventure, Hollywood Rip, Ride, RockIt, Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (for now), Men in Black: Alien Attack (FANTASTIC attraction), Twister: Ride it Out, Disaster!, all the KidZone rides, a far better Revenge of the Mummy, and all of the shows.

Plus, Universal Studios in Florida and Universal Studios in Hollywood are VERY different. If you've experienced one, you really haven't experienced the other. Universal Studios Florida is a very attractive park (except for some weak areas, which are being fixed) with distinct themed lands, such as New York, Hollywood, San Francisco, etc. instead of just "Lower Lot" and "Upper Lot". (not saying that that's bad!)

Trust me, you don't have to convince me. One is clearly the obvious choice for me, LOL. Disneyland has the better Fantasmic! anyway.

The Empress Lilly

Second, asking this question on a Disney forum will get you many more DHS answers than asking the general public would. It would be a landslide win for Uni with the general population.

US is the better park.
Although I realise there are other considerations at work - pricing schemes, convenience, general brand etc - the general public seems to vote with its feet 10 to 6 in favour of DHS.

BryceM

Original Poster
First, it really wasn't a debate. I said Disney copied Uni and one slightly misinformed poster suggested otherwise...everyone else knew Disney copied Uni. And I harbor no ill will toward that slightly misinformed poster. Just want to clear that up, so nobody thinks there was fighting.

US is the better park.
I didn't mean to make it seem a "giant, massive, fight with people getting banned". And it has happened plenty of times before, and it quite frankly isn't really a big deal. I didn't really know what other word to use, sorry. Though, I'll go ahead and edit my original post and remove the word debate!

And the results seem to speak otherwise, regardless of this being on a Disney site.

The Empress Lilly

DHS just doesn't interest me... At all, really.
tumblr_ljifakxQA81qf3kya.jpg

29028_640.jpg

Before%2BHat.jpg

50460377.jpg

worldtraveler

I've been to both. Universal didn't really do much for me. Hollywood Studios doesn't do much for me. But DHS has some of my favorite rides in the world. ToT, RnRC, Star Tours. That's all I need. And a short walk to Epcot doesn't hurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom