Would you pay $226 for a souvenir?

Would you spend $226 on a single souvenir?

• Total voters

bigrigross

I will most definitely be buying the lightsaber as well as one of the drones. My wife and I drop a lot on Disney Giclee's. The lightsaber is dwarved by almost all of them. My office you will not find any paintings. Instead, every single lightsaber I have built at Disney World mounted on the wall including my black series ones. I cant wait to add these new ones to my collection. I just hope they expand the parts and do not leave it stagnant. So many options they could include in the future.

yedliW

I was pretty firm in the '$200 is too much to pay for a light saber' camp, but I saw a video today of the experience, and I have to say, it looks pretty cool.. I am now in the maybe camp.. and come October, when we are there, I may come home with one..

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sorry, OP comes across as you think this will fail and disney will have to lower prices and that's what you are really hoping for... sorry, not gonna happen.

The bigger issue will be like balloons. What people do with them after they buy them, etc.

Disney charges $50-70 for a sweatshirt... and the toy shops were already stuffed with plenty of items approaching $100.

The question is will Disney keep it a special experience or just move to something like the droid factory which is much more highly visible, etc.

MGMBoy

I was pretty firm in the '$200 is too much to pay for a light saber' camp, but I saw a video today of the experience, and I have to say, it looks pretty cool.. I am now in the maybe camp.. and come October, when we are there, I may come home with one..

Exactly. The showmanship of it is pretty amazing! I would love nothing more than to have my son help me build a saber. He is already SUPER amped to build a BB unit @ the Droid Depot.

MGMBoy

Sorry, OP comes across as you think this will fail and disney will have to lower prices and that's what you are really hoping for... sorry, not gonna happen.

The bigger issue will be like balloons. What people do with them after they buy them, etc.

Disney charges $50-70 for a sweatshirt... and the toy shops were already stuffed with plenty of items approaching $100.

The question is will Disney keep it a special experience or just move to something like the droid factory which is much more highly visible, etc.

I sincerely hope they keep it they way they currently have it. Just another step to help draw you into the world of Batuu and away from the surrounding park.

yensid67

Original Poster
I am sure for the diehard Star Wars fans, this is not and won't be an issue! For the general public, I think it will be something they think about twice before making the purchase!
Don't get me wrong, its a nice thing as an souvenir, but it takes up such a big footprint in the land and its geared to a select group, that I can see this going away after the hype is gone. Maybe they could move this shop to Disney Springs to keep it alive.?

Last edited:

MGMBoy

Oh, we are absolutely buying at least one of those lightsabers. But in addition to being a crazy Disney person, I'm also a crazy Star Wars person (and so are my spouse and kids), so I'm kind of in the target demographic for this sort of ridiculous indulgence. 😄

Amen! I plan to come home with the $100 Gift "Coin", at least 1 Droid (possibly 2) and a saber. (Hoping to have saved enough to get a full set of kyber crystals and at least one holocron as well.). My son is also super interested in the Puffer Pig.

Driver

Dumb question..... ( im not a SW fan) what's the difference between a build your own light saber vs. the already made ones they have at HS with all the other SW stuff. I know some are character specific. And they get around $300 for those. But they are made of metal and look real ( compared to a kids plastic toy)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Amen! I plan to come home with the $100 Gift "Coin", at least 1 Droid (possibly 2) and a saber. (Hoping to have saved enough to get a full set of kyber crystals and at least one holocron as well.). My son is also super interested in the Puffer Pig.

You do realize that the Kyber crystals are "blind purchase" in each category (color) and have the personalities of different characters (and some even the same characters at different points in time) ? At $12.99 each its gonna get rough

MGMBoy

Dumb question..... ( im not a SW fan) what's the difference between a build your own light saber vs. the already made ones they have at HS with all the other SW stuff. I know some are character specific. And they get around $300 for those. But they are made of metal and look real ( compared to a kids plastic toy)

It is a few different aspects (at least for me). First, while there are a myriad of sabers already on the market at similar price points, those are already assembled as opposed to these being custom. It would be like going into a store and buying a pre-drawn sketch of a character as opposed to having the artist create a sketch of the character for you. Just the fact that is is "yours" makes it special. Second, many of the parts and components are unique to this experience. I don't know of a single pre-made saber that has a Rancor tooth pommel. Third, most pre-made sabers have a single color of blade. This one can be changed by swapping out the Kyber which is a cool feature. Lastly, the experience and ceremony surrounding it. Being able to take part in (and have the memories associated with) the whole creation process is a great benefit.

To me, that is what makes this experience well worth the price of admission.

MGMBoy

You do realize that the Kyber crystals are "blind purchase" in each category (color) and have the personalities of different characters (and some even the same characters at different points in time) ? At $12.99 each its gonna get rough

I know. I'm planning to grab one of every color and then maybe a few extras. I'm hoping by then that there will be a thread on here (or somewhere else) where people can swap duplicates they may have for others that someone else has.

zurgandfriend

No, but I’m an old fart. I believe I spent about the same amount of money, $225.00, on my first car and $37,500.00 on my first house. My DW is the same way, she looks at the “bags” and says, “No way.” Our souvenirs tend to be Christmas tree ornaments. We are up to three trees to display them all, but I digress. However, if it gives you pleasure, you can effort it and is not illegal then enjoy. In a different vain people think I’m crazy for going to WDW but they spend the same amount of money on golf, boating or skiing to each their own.

Last edited:

juniorthomas

Everyone will have a different opinion on this topic. There is no right answer, because each person has their own preferences. Buy a lightsaber or don't buy a lightsaber. The point is, I don't really like Dole Whips. :cool:

TongaToast21

I'm all for spending/ splurging on vacations! That being said, I wish they were telescoping. To me, the whole point of a lightsaber is that the blade shoots out and retracts. I'm surprised they havent been able to produce a respectable looking one. But hey, like others said, it doesnt matter.. you get what you want and what makes you the happiest

awoogala

Yes, but not for a lightsaber, myself.(just not my thing). I've actually been sad the last 4 trips, since I've not seen much I've wanted to purchase. But we did spend at least $200 on tiki mugs at trader Sam's last trip.

jloucks

Sure, I do it all the time. I spent $600+ dollars on a spaceship model at Comic Con a few years ago. :p

Most expensive WDW souvineer? Hmmm,,, probably a pair of laser etched crystal beer mugs. Over $100 for the pair. Bought the nice Harry Potter robe at Uni for one of my kids, it was even more expensive.

I spend about $1000 a trip on stuffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom