Would You Like To See The Cars Land Sci-fi Drive-In Be Resurrected?

Would You Like To See The Cars Land Sci-fi Drive-In Be Resurrected?

• Total voters

britain

Even worse.... the land's main ride literally just takes you through the land you just walked through

Yes, just like Phantom Manor.

😉

I will concede that moment is a tad odd. But I’d rather revise that scene in the ride than make the land a watered-down Radiator Springs with generic car culture places.

SuddenStorm

Where else are they going to take you? OH MY GOSH Peter Pan's Flight takes me to NEVERLAND???? Alice takes me to a TEA PARTY when I just walked past one outside? A Cars dark ride HAS to take you through Radiator Springs. There's no other iconic location in the entire franchise to go!

Seriously, I'm okay walking through a life-size functioning Radiator Springs and then riding through a scaled-down version actually populated by believably "living" cars. It's just a theme park.

You don't walk past Neverland to get to the Peter Pan ride. You don't go through the settings depicted in Alice to get to the ride.

It's unheard of to build a dark ride that literally takes you through a recreation of the land you just walked through.

britain

I am being little cheeky about Phantom Manor. Honestly I think the reason they did that in Radiator Springs racers is simply because nighttime is such a beautiful setting with all the neon and if you came to the land during the day, it’s nice to still see it at “night” inside the ride.

I think this is the same reason why you have a few nighttime bio luminescent scenes in the queue for flight of passage and the entire Navi river journey. Because if you visit during the day, you won’t see the land at its prettiest.

britain

You don't walk past Neverland to get to the Peter Pan ride. You don't go through the settings depicted in Alice to get to the ride.

It's unheard of to build a dark ride that literally takes you through a recreation of the land you just walked through.

You actually do walk right past the mad tea party teacup attraction to go on the Alice ride and then travel to the mad tea party.

Californian Elitist

I agree with a lot (probably most) of your views about DLR, but I just don't like those concept drawings for a Car Culture land; much of this looks like all the worst DCA 1.0 ideas multiplied by 4. It's like Superstar Limo brought outdoors.

BUT, as much as I love Cars Land, I'm okay with the idea of a future compromise: The main street of Radiator Springs could someday be transformed into a non-Cars related little town focused around car culture. The mountain range and the area around RSR up to and including Flo's can stay as-is; that would be plenty of representation for the Cars franchise (maybe even move Mater's ride to the Luigi site).

Personal tastes. ;)

I don’t think your idea would make much sense, since it’s Cars Land, as in the movie Cars. I don’t see a point in adding a non-Cars specific aspect to the land because it’s all based around the movie. It’s Cars Land, new additions should be related to the movie and the movie only.

If they had kept Car Land, the area wouldn’t have been so deadlocked on additions and updates, but hey, at least we have the Cadillac Range.

TROR

Personal tastes. ;)

I don’t think your idea would make much sense, since it’s Cars Land, as in the movie Cars. I don’t see a point in adding a non-Cars specific aspect to the land because it’s all based around the movie. It’s Cars Land, new additions should be related to the movie and the movie only.

If they had kept Car Land, the area wouldn’t have been so deadlocked on additions and updates, but hey, at least we have the Cadillac Range.
We would've had Cadillac Range with Car Land, too, though.

Californian Elitist

Even worse.... the land's main ride literally just takes you through the land you just walked through and various other scenes direct from the film.

Right. It’s déjà vu.

This is the issue with deciding to center the land around the movie Cars. You don’t have many options. You go to Radiator Springs to ride through Radiator Springs. It’s themed to the movie Cars, where else are we going to go?

Ugh.

I don’t hate Cars Land. I like it, but I wish it wasn’t there at the same time. I’m so bored with it now.

Rich T

Personal tastes. ;)

They can rename the land eventually. As huge a Cars fan as I am, I don't see the franchise remaining popular enough to justify taking up all of the Radiator Springs space after another ten years, tops. Unless Pixar finds a really clever way to jumpstart (unavoidable pun) the series.

Californian Elitist

They can rename the land eventually. As huge a Cars fan as I am, I don't see the franchise remaining popular enough to justify taking up all of the Radiator Springs space after another ten years, tops. Unless Pixar finds a really clever way to jumpstart (unavoidable pun) the series.

Why rename it though? It matches the land perfectly. Cars Land, as in an entire land themed to one single franchise, Cars.

Disney should be creating things that will last and can be continuously updated with new things. It’s been seven years since the opening of Cars Land and we will go another seven years of the same, general things. Why? Because there’s no room to come up with unique concepts that will continue to blow the area out of the water. It’s all Cars, Cars, and more Cars. Mater, McQueen, Flo, Luigi, etc. over and over and over again, for years and years to come.

Aye.

britain

Why rename it though? It matches the land perfectly. Cars Land, as in an entire land themed to one single franchise, Cars.

Disney should be creating things that will last and can be continuously updated with new things. It’s been seven years since the opening of Cars Land and we will go another seven years of the same, general things. Why? Because there’s no room to come up with unique concepts that will continue to blow the area out of the water. It’s all Cars, Cars, and more Cars. Mater, McQueen, Flo, Luigi, etc. over and over and over again, for years and years to come.

Aye.

Yep, it’s an IP they’ll need to keep fresh and relevant for decades to come.

Much like certain pairs of mice, ducks and dogs.

Rich T

Aye.
I agree that's *probably* what will happen... Unless Pixar fails to keep the Cars franchise active and public interest in the characters (and thus the merchandise) plummets. I'm just saying that, if that should happen, there's nothing to prevent Disney from scaling back the Cars theme to the essentials (the area immediately around RSR). The area between Mater's and Flo's could easily turn into something else.

Worst case scenario is the franchise stagnates and the land doesn't change at all. Either Disney should tastefully blend other car-related ideas into the front part of the land or Pixar should come up with some brilliant ideas for Cars projects (and I don't mean something like a CARS BABIES cartoon show). :)

britain

I hate to break it all of you clamoring for Car Land, but Car Land would have been just American Graffiti come to life. Cars is Pixar's version of an updated American Graffiti (Lucas did start Pixar after all). So really its just the same idea wrapped in different packaging.

But not as good! Since it wouldn't be Mel's Drive In, etc. etc.

I find this desire to go out of the way to avoid replicating something that appeared in a film to be actually shooting otherwise good design in the proverbial foot, so to speak.

I've got a big write up now on this subject... should I post it here, or take the dive and make a vlog?

Californian Elitist

I agree that's *probably* what will happen... Unless Pixar fails to keep the Cars franchise active and public interest in the characters (and thus the merchandise) plummets. I'm just saying that, if that should happen, there's nothing to prevent Disney from scaling back the Cars theme to the essentials (the area immediately around RSR). The area between Mater's and Flo's could easily turn into something else.

Worst case scenario is the franchise stagnates and the land doesn't change at all. Either Disney should tastefully blend other car-related ideas into the front part of the land or Pixar should come up with some brilliant ideas for Cars projects (and I don't mean something like a CARS BABIES cartoon show). :)

Pero why though? Why would Disney scale back Cars when the land IS Cars?

I just don’t see the point in adding generic car references when the land is very specifically centered around a movie. Would you expect to see a generic, space-related attraction in Galaxy’s Edge? Some random ride about landing on Mars? Or a random fantasy attraction in WWoHP? I don’t see it making sense.

The land will most likely be stagnant, unless they tear it down or continue to replace Luigi’s ride with another boring one. They’re not going to get rid of Racers. There seems to be no movement for Mater’s. The only changes we will most likely see with be new menu items, new merchandise, and holiday overlays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom