Would You Like To See The Cars Land Sci-fi Drive-In Be Resurrected?

Would You Like To See The Cars Land Sci-fi Drive-In Be Resurrected?

• Total voters

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
One of the coolest parts (IMO) of DCA 2.0 that was cut in the end was a Cars Land version of the Sci-Fi Drive In, that would’ve been right behind Luigi’s Flying Tires.
249E2F32-A968-442A-BFEB-F74F3AE3366D.jpeg

While I don’t think it would’ve been as great as the WDW version (Always fun to see that Tom and Jerry short as part of the show) I think it would’ve been a neat little part of Cars Land. What are your thoughts on seeing this project possibly become a reality someday?

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

One of the coolest parts (IMO) of DCA 2.0 that was cut in the end was a Cars Land version of the Sci-Fi Drive In. While I don’t think it would’ve been as great as the WDW version (Always fun to see that Tom and Jerry short as part of the show), I think it would’ve been a neat little part of Cars Land. What are your thoughts on seeing this project possibly become a reality someday?
I'm for it. Though I'd also be for them turning the area near Monsters Inc. into a non-Cars themed Sci-Fi Dine In.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
I’m in favor of changing all of Cars Land to its original concept of Car Land before Lasseter opened his big mouth.

I’m pretty sure the drive-in was not going to be a copy of what’s offered in Florida.
Definitely, I don’t think they were going to keep the art direction or the B Movie trailer showcase the same. I imagine that it would’ve been a Blue Bayou/Blue Lagoon situation where both restaurants have the same concept (a restaurant with a night time type ambiance where you can see the PoTC boats go by), but not very similar beyond that.

TROR

I’m in favor of changing all of Cars Land to its original concept of Car Land before Lasseter opened his big mouth.

I’m pretty sure the drive-in was not going to be a copy of what’s offered in Florida.
BIG agree. The only good things about Cars Land are Flo’s and RSR. Keep those, tear down the rest. Bring in a World of Motion type attraction, a road trip ride, and Herbie. Mid century small California town obsessed with cars would be so charming and perfect for DCA. They can bring back Paradise Pier and Tower of Terror while they’re at it.

Anyway, regarding the drive in, I say do it but have it be outside. Sure it can’t play movies during the day, but it’s so much more charming outdoors.

Californian Elitist

BIG agree. The only good things about Cars Land are Flo’s and RSR. Keep those, tear down the rest. Bring in a World of Motion type attraction, a road trip ride, and Herbie. Mid century small California town obsessed with cars would be so charming and perfect for DCA. They can bring back Paradise Pier and Tower of Terror while they’re at it.

Anyway, regarding the drive in, I say do it but have it be outside. Sure it can’t play movies during the day, but it’s so much more charming outdoors.

Agree with all of this.

britain

Agree with all of this.

Big boo to all that. Carsland works because it’s a recreation of Radiator Springs. It’s a magic trick pulled off so well, children ask if “this is where they filmed Cars”. Not to mention the flexing of God-like artistic power in fashioning a freaking mountain range that is simultaneously realistic AND whimsically fantastic.

Car-land with it’s ‘Salute to California Car culture’ seemed like a big step back into the DCA 1.0 era of Pizza Oo Mau Mau, Bountiful Valley Farm, etc. Blaaahhh!

Maybe it would have been better funded than DCA 1.0 was, but the concept doesn’t spark the imagination like the audaciousness of making a real Radiator Springs.

TROR

Big boo to all that. Carsland works because it’s a recreation of Radiator Springs. It’s a magic trick pulled off so well, children ask if “this is where they filmed Cars”. Not to mention the flexing of God-like artistic power in fashioning a freaking mountain range that is simultaneously realistic AND whimsically fantastic.

Car-land with it’s ‘Salute to California Car culture’ seemed like a big step back into the DCA 1.0 era of Pizza Oo Mau Mau, Bountiful Valley Farm, etc. Blaaahhh!

Maybe it would have been better funded than DCA 1.0 was, but the concept doesn’t spark the imagination like the audaciousness of making a real Radiator Springs.
Nothing inspires the mind like seeing something from a movie replicated exactly.

TROR

Ahem...

View attachment 375302

And what’s the biggest complaint (admittedly from online speculators, not actual guests who have been there) about Smugglers Run? That we don’t get to walk up the ramp like in the movies.
The biggest complaint about Smuggler's Run is that it's not an indoor dueling coaster because nobody actually cares about piloting the Falcon.

Californian Elitist

Big boo to all of this...

There’s nothing special about a recreation of a fictional place in a movie for what’s supposed to be a themed land at a Disney park. Nothing special at all. Radiator Springs was already laid out, the Imagineers didn’t have to do anything when designing and choosing things to go in and placement. How is that special?

Couldn’t care less about the Cadillac mountain range. It’s beautiful to look at, sure, but again, it’s a replica of what has already been created in a movie.

We don’t know what Car Land would have been. And I find irony in your inclusion of the word “imagination” when referring to Cars Land. What was there to imagine? Radiator Springs already existed before the land. Car Land would have been original, unlike Cars Land, which isn’t original at all. The concept for the Goofy ride that was originally supposed to go in Car Land had more imagination than all of Cars Land. Even “Cruise Street,” the name of the entrance of what would have been Car Land is more original and imaginative than Cars Land.

britain

Exactly. Copying and pasting isn’t imagination.

This isn’t about how “creative” WDI would have been with one project vs. the other. This is about how imaginative the finished product is to experience. Who cares if the idea for a southwestern town populated with cars originated in a Pixar meeting or a WDI meeting?

There’s this big chip on the shoulders of Disney fans out there that fuels this dislike for IP based attractions / lands. Maybe it’s caused by bitterness from some actual imagineers who are bummed that they have to bring to life popular movie IPs rather than create their own? I don’t know.

But in the end, I judge a theme park designer on their creativity using concrete/steel/paint/math/tech, not their creativity in “new story” generation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom