Would the DVC be right for me?

durangojim

Original Poster
We spend about 20 days at WDW each year usually at WL or GF and after AP discounts wind up spending about $7500 on rooms. We're wondering if it would be worth it to join the DVC, but the thing is that we're picky about where we stay. We love th GF and also the rooms at the WL, we're not crazy about villas. Can you still stayin regular rooms if you belong to the DVC and can you still go when you want or are you confined to certain times of year? We usually go for xmas, memorial day, and sometime in the fall for MNSSHP. Thanks!

sweetale

We are brand new DVC members and as of yet do not know how everything works, so if I "misspeak" forgive me. I know that you can still stay in a "regular", non-DVC room on Disney property and your points will apply. This applies to any resort on property including the campgrounds! Whether you are ever "blocked" from dates, no. But, when you can make reservations depends on where your "home resort" is located. You can make reservations up to 11 months in advance at your home resort (i.e. Saratoga Springs). All other DVC resorts you can make reservations up to 7 months in advance. For the non-DVC resorts, I'm not sure about that.
It can be difficult, then, to get ressies during busy times if you are not staying at your home resort. I would be prepared to have a few back-up hotels.
DVC is a big investment that really pays off through the years. So I would say that if you plan on continuing to stay 20 plus days a year throughout the next 5 years or so, it would be worth it.
I know I'm not the most knowledgable about DVC, but I hope this helps!:wave:
~Amy

pacochran

What was said earlier was true, and you get to book at other Disney Resorts 11 months in advance, as that is what we did this year. Our home resort is BCV but this year we are going to be staying at the AKL Savannah View room. You may want to look at the point schedule for the various resorts to see if it is worth it, for the amount of time you stay. We are staying at AKL for 4 days at the end of December and it is costing us 158 points.

If you are going to want to stay 20 days and stay at GF or WL it might take a substantial amount of points for you to buy. I don't know how this will show but below is a current point use schedule for a couple of the resorts.
<TABLE class=tableMain cellPadding=2 width=728 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=6><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="30%"><NOBR></NOBR><NOBR></NOBR><NOBR>Walt Disney World</NOBR>
</TD><TD width="2%">® </TD><TD width="68%">Resort in Florida</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%">2006 Reservation Points* Per Night</TD><TD align=right width="50%">The Disney Collection</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=resortName vAlign=top align=middle width=146><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Resort Name</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=season vAlign=top width=119><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>ROOM CATEGORY</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=season vAlign=top width=110><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>VALUE SEASON </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Jan 1 - Feb 15</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>July 5 - Oct 4</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Nov 26 - Dec 19</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=season vAlign=top width=110><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>REGULAR SEASON
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Apr 23 - Jul 4</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Oct 5 - Nov 25</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=season vAlign=top width=110><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>PEAK SEASON
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Feb 16 - Apr 22</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=season vAlign=top width=110><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>HOLIDAY SEASON </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Dec 20 - 31 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Disney's Grand Floridian
Resort & Spa
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Garden View</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Lagoon View</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Royal Palm Club</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>40</TD><TD align=middle>72</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>48</TD><TD align=middle>86</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>70</TD><TD align=middle>126</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>46</TD><TD align=middle>83</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>55</TD><TD align=middle>99</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>79</TD><TD align=middle>142</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>53</TD><TD align=middle>95</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>64</TD><TD align=middle>115</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>89</TD><TD align=middle>160</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>62</TD><TD align=middle>112</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>71</TD><TD align=middle>128</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>99</TD><TD align=middle>178</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=row><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Disney's Polynesian
Resort
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=row><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Garden View</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Lagoon View</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>King Kamehameha Club</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=row><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>36</TD><TD align=middle>65</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>46</TD><TD align=middle>83</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>59</TD><TD align=middle>106</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=row><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>41</TD><TD align=middle>74</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>52</TD><TD align=middle>94</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>67</TD><TD align=middle>119</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=row><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>49</TD><TD align=middle>88</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>60</TD><TD align=middle>108</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>75</TD><TD align=middle>134</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=row><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>56</TD><TD align=middle>101</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>67</TD><TD align=middle>121</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>84</TD><TD align=middle>149</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Disney's Yacht Club
Resort
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Standard View</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Water or Pool View</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Regatta Club</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>35</TD><TD align=middle>63</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>41</TD><TD align=middle>74</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>57</TD><TD align=middle>103</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>39</TD><TD align=middle>70</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>47</TD><TD align=middle>85</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>64</TD><TD align=middle>115</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>47</TD><TD align=middle>85</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>55</TD><TD align=middle>99</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>71</TD><TD align=middle>128</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=rowAlt><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Sun-Thur</TD><TD align=middle>Fri-Sat</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>53</TD><TD align=middle>95</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>61</TD><TD align=middle>110</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>79</TD><TD align=middle>142</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have been told by a number of people that the best indicator for DVC membership is 1 week or more per year in a deluxe resort. If you meet or exceed this criteria DVC is something that should be seriously considered. If you have not already I would take the DVC tour and get a package worked out but do not immediately buy. Take the information you get from the tour and take it to one of the DVC resellers and see what they can come up with. As with anything make sure they are comparing apples to apples. (ie points, time left on contract etc) Depending on what incentives Disney is offering it can go either way as to who to buy from but it is important to know that buying directly from Disney is not your only option. One of the biggest advantages to buying from a reseller is that you can buy into pretty much and DVC resort. If I am not mistaken the only DVC resort you can currently buy into through Disney is Saratoga Springs.

Here is a good article on if DVC is right for you.

bears163

we have been DVC members for 2 years now. Yes you can use your points at other resorts besides the main DVC resorts. BUT the points are alot more for the non DVC resorts per night. If you are not going to stay at the DVC i doubt it would be worth it. Yes you book your home resort 11 months prior & 7 months at non main resort. i have been told as long as you go for a week a year in 10 years it would cover the cost of the amount you would have to pay for the points. you can go anytime of the year you want as long as there are rooms open & you have points.

slappy magoo

Why not check out the photos of the rooms at the DVC resorts at allearsnet.com? They have representative photos of all forms of the rooms-studios, 1 BRs, 2 BRs and any Grand Villas if those resorts have 'em. That'll give you an idea as to whether or not they'll be right for you, and/or how many points you should buy.

There is also THIS option to consider. When you are a DVC member, you get Annual Passes cheaper than the general public. And when you get an annual pass, there are often big discounts on hotel rooms. You could get enough points to cover 10 days worth of your trip, then use your annual pass to get savings on any other resort you'd like to visit. It would still save you a lot of cash, and you get to stay at twice as many nice resorts. Stay at the Boardwalk vilas, walking distance from Epcot, then go to a monorail resort.

DisneyPhD

We spend about 20 days at WDW each year usually at WL or GF and after AP discounts wind up spending about $7500 on rooms. We're wondering if it would be worth it to join the DVC, but the thing is that we're picky about where we stay. We love th GF and also the rooms at the WL, we're not crazy about villas. Can you still stayin regular rooms if you belong to the DVC and can you still go when you want or are you confined to certain times of year? We usually go for xmas, memorial day, and sometime in the fall for MNSSHP. Thanks!

I'm not sure why you don't care for the villas. A studio is pretty much the same size as a regular hotel room but has a kitchenette (small fridge, sink, microwave and cupboards).
You cannot use points for "regular" WL rooms but can at the DVC part of the resort. The same is true at BW, BC and YC. Staying at the DVC resorts is really where you get the best value, although a quick calculation using pacochran's numbers, GF would "cost" about $6200 in the value of your points (1032 points over 21 nights @ $6 per point)and so would still be a bit less than what you've been paying. However, the same amount of time in VWL studio would cost around $1800 (about 300 points over 21 nights at $6 per point). The point rates for non-DVC resorts change each year just like the rack rates do whereas DVC point values are set. So if your heart is set on staying at GF every time then DVC is probably not for you. As others have said, take the tour and talk to the guides about your vacation habits. They'll be able to give you a good idea if DVC is right for you.

Note that my estimates are representative of my situation and don't take into account any costs for loan interest and so are very conservative.

darthjohnny

I have heard if you like staying at the DVC resorts/and or villas, DVC is a great thing to let you stay in the great rooms, especially the bigger one, two, and three bedrooms rooms. But I have been told if you intend to just use your points at WDW hotels, it is a lot of times cheaper to just pay for the room regularly. I believe, I could be wrong, but the DVC point prices are set up a year in advance. But I think there is more leeway in setting cheaper rates for regular hotel rooms at Disney, but again, I'm not sure.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm not sure why you don't care for the villas. A studio is pretty much the same size as a regular hotel room but has a kitchenette (small fridge, sink, microwave and cupboards).
You cannot use points for "regular" WL rooms but can at the DVC part of the resort. The same is true at BW, BC and YC. Staying at the DVC resorts is really where you get the best value, although a quick calculation using pacochran's numbers, GF would "cost" about $6200 in the value of your points (1032 points over 21 nights @ $6 per point)and so would still be a bit less than what you've been paying. However, the same amount of time in VWL studio would cost around $1800 (about 300 points over 21 nights at $6 per point). The point rates for non-DVC resorts change each year just like the rack rates do whereas DVC point values are set. So if your heart is set on staying at GF every time then DVC is probably not for you. As others have said, take the tour and talk to the guides about your vacation habits. They'll be able to give you a good idea if DVC is right for you.

Note that my estimates are representative of my situation and don't take into account any costs for loan interest and so are very conservative.

I couldnt have said it any better. If you are not "willing" to stay in the DVC resort rooms, I dont think this is the program for you. If you would be willing to use the DVC resorts and villas, you would come out ahead, especially after year 10.

Craig & Lisa

We have been members since 03 and it turned out to be the best investment we could have taken. First off it saved us a TON on where we stay, and we bought into SSR, ( our first home is BCV ). We have stayed at BCV only once, but most times we have stayed at OKW, which is a really great place very quiet, their own buses, fantastic pool with a neat slide. It's also great because out of all the DVC resorts it was the first, and the least expensive for points no matter what type room you get. The one thing I mention to people who ask is the fact that the 2 bedroom has a bigger kitchen than my house. We have found it to be our favorite place to stay when we use DVC. Our only regret is that we did not get into it sooner. 46 days till our 3rd visit this year with a group of 10 at OKW, can't wait...can't wait. :sohappy: :sohappy:

Magic Maker

May I ask why you do not like Villas?

It's ok to not like them, I am just curious about the reason why you don't want to stay in a Villa.

You could certainly stay at Grand FL, if you are a member you have to stay in the Villas for Beach Club, BWalk, and W. Lodge.

You are doing the right thing, sort of, by talking to us, but you should at least let Disney give the info too. Either go to disneyvacationclub.com or BETTER YET take about an hour and a half next time you are down as go to an Open House. This way at least you see the Villas and decide if you the villas would work for you.

If you want to know more about the Open House ask me - it's what I do for a living.

durangojim

Original Poster
I appreciate all of the comments and info. It's not that we don't like the villas, it just that we like some of the other places more. We did do the WL Villas open house back when I was in college but bying timeshare wasn't even in my mind at that time. We leave tomorrow for the GF so maybe we'll take a tour and get some info straight from the horse's mouth. It's just hard to know what our future holds for usin terms of Disney, we have a 1 y/o and will eventually have another child but I have no way of knowing if we'll still continue to go to WDW as often as we do now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Magic Maker

Ya... trust me if you have one child and eventually another on the way, you WILL be coming back to WDW.

And if not, you've got 550 destinations around the world.

slappy magoo

Heck, even if you don't think you'll be going to WDW too often once kid #2 arrives, you can always bank one years' points, and borrow another years' points. Even if you only get 150 points (the minimum you can buy direct from Disney, that gives you 450 points every three years, which would give you 2 1/2-4 weeks in a studio, depending on the time of year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom