Would Disneyland ever do a Christmas overlay based on the horrible ‘Star Wars Holiday Special’? -OCR

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Ok, let me state that I was given a bootleg DVD of the special over a decade ago, so I truly know how bad it is... Worse than Superstar Limo, so stock up on your favorite beverage or maybe take advantage of the legal recreational items in California.... 9link to the full 2 hour special is in the article.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/0...ed-on-the-horrible-star-wars-holiday-special/

>>Some critics have called the “Star Wars Holiday Special” the worst two hours in television history. But it also provides a most glorious example of 1970s cheese and might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious productions ever made. All this means that the chances that Disney even would acknowledge the existence of the “Star Wars Holiday Special,” much less create anything within Disneyland themed to it, are so small that not even C-3PO could calculate them.

But I can’t stop smiling at the crazy idea of this happening. Imagine a temporary, holidays-only Tree of Life in the middle of Galaxy’s Edge, with red robed-Wookiees gathered around several times a day singing about the meaning of Life Day. And then imagine the stunned, confused looks of anyone under the age of 45 in the crowd as a few older, Gen-X visitors around them double over in laughter as they get the reference.<<

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Lucas, Ford, and Hamill would all have to die first before that happens as I'm sure they would all try to stop it from happening.

FerretAfros

It's unlikely that they would delve too deep into the Star Wars Holiday Special, but I wouldn't think it's entirely out of the question. They included clips from the Holiday Special on the big screen for the Galactic Breakfast character meal at the Sci-Fi Dine-In during Star Wars Weekends in 2014 & 2015 in WDW, so it wouldn't be the first time that it's been used in the parks since Disney's acquisition.
https://samsdisneydiary.com/2015/03...ars-weekend-galactic-breakfast-at-the-sci-fi/

Plus, the Holiday Special's guest star Bea Arthur is a Disney Legend, so there's an opportunity for synergy. They could promote cheesecake as a special menu item, and maybe serve it on the lanai

In all likelihood, they will have holiday decorations of some sort in the Star Wars land once it's operating. Similar to what they did in Carsland, it may not happen in the first year or two, and it likely won't be too closely tied to what's in the films (though I expect some references to Life Day), but I would be surprised if they didn't do anything

Ismael Flores

so decided to watch as much as i could during my commute on the train and just have to say WOW. It really is bad, what is up that Chewbacca family? sadly now i need to watch it more to see how the whole mess ends

Kramerica

The Star Wars Holiday Special is painfully bad. It's not even funny bad. It's just REALLY REALLY bad. Lucas has been known to say that if he had enough time and a hammer that he would track down every copy and smash it. No, no I don't think we'll ever see Itchy, Lumpy and Stinky celebrating life day in the Disney parks, thank goodness.

Red Letter Media, the best channel on Youtube did a round table discussion of it though, and that is worth watching. If you're curious about the special itself or atleast want a good laugh. Watch these guys-

Rich T

Love the Tree of Life idea, but two additional things would really get me on board for this (and neither include Itchy's VR "adult fun"). 1) A Mr. Toad-style dark ride based on the animated 3PO/R2/Boba Fett sequence, and 2) Space Mtn. audio playing Starship's "Light the Sky on Fire."

Last edited:

Rich T

Yeah, it's obviously not that bad. Typical Star Wars being elevated to a ridiculous status by fanboys. It was a lame awkward variety show tied to Star Wars, not the worst thing ever.
I watched it on its original broadcast and it's haunted me ever since. Yeah, it is that bad (except for the animated bit). It makes the 2 Ewok films look like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

TROR

Decided to sit through all 2 hours (commercials included) in 2015 leading up to The Force Awakens. Frankly, it's terrible. That said, I would completely support having a shop or restaurant decorated to celebrate Life Day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom