Would could Disney World REALISTICALLY do with the resort that you would like?

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
The other similar threat had plenty of interesting responses, but many, quite frankly, will never happen. As much as we love Disney, it is a publicly traded company that exists in its present form to make money for its shareholders (and to a lesser extend, pay back corporate bondholders). Disney's renowned reputation for ingenuity and customer service, ultimately, are merely means to that end.

Although the entire resort is extremely large, if you look at the birds-eye views from Google Earth, you can see that the actual parks are rather constrained by geography and the logistics support they need to operate (particularly Epcot and Hollywood Studios, less so Animal Kingdom).

So, keeping in mind the limitations that Disney isn't going to invest in the money-losing proposition of bringing back extinct attractions, or moving away from IP-integration, or over-spending on attractions that can't possibly pay for themselves, and there are certain real-world limitations on how much they can fit in the existing parks (space, logistics, the fact that Florida has a high water table, so you can build almost nothing underground)... what REALISTIC additions to the resort as a whole would you like to see?

Here's a resort hotel that I would like to see... theme it on the gorgeous hotels you find in the Alps, like this one, for example:

It would be a call-back to Walt's European trips, the architectural style fits existing Disney IPs like Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasyland and the Matterhorn, and it's one that the Imagineers would have a field day emulating.

Parks: At least one new country at Epcot (there isn't much room here for expansion)... maybe the Low Countries, Brazil or Thailand. And maybe fill the large empty building behind Germany with a German-themed ride. An Autobahn-themed coaster would be cool, but probably redundant with Test Track in the same park, so perhaps a something like a scenic Sommerrodelbahn (mountain coaster or luge).

A South American or Australian themed area to Animal Kingdom, not forgetting to add some live animal exhibits. Who wouldn't love to see kangaroos, capybaras, alpacas and macaws? An Andes-themed mountain ride.

Find something, anything, to fit in the mostly empty spaces at the Magic Kingdom, like the Diamond Horseshoe (a Woody's Round-up animatronic or puppet show?) and Stitches Great Escape. Any new attractions to offset the Magic Kingdom crowds we all complain about.

And eventually, a 5th park, but I admit, I can't think of good idea for one.

Smiley/OCD

The other similar threat had plenty of interesting responses, but many, quite frankly, will never happen. As much as we love Disney, it is a publicly traded company that exists in its present form to make money for its shareholders (and to a lesser extend, pay back corporate bondholders). Disney's renowned reputation for ingenuity and customer service, ultimately, are merely means to that end.

Although the entire resort is extremely large, if you look at the birds-eye views from Google Earth, you can see that the actual parks are rather constrained by geography and the logistics support they need to operate (particularly Epcot and Hollywood Studios, less so Animal Kingdom).

So, keeping in mind the limitations that Disney isn't going to invest in the money-losing proposition of bringing back extinct attractions, or moving away from IP-integration, or over-spending on attractions that can't possibly pay for themselves, and there are certain real-world limitations on how much they can fit in the existing parks (space, logistics, the fact that Florida has a high water table, so you can build almost nothing underground)... what REALISTIC additions to the resort as a whole would you like to see?

Here's a resort hotel that I would like to see... theme it on the gorgeous hotels you find in the Alps, like this one, for example:

It would be a call-back to Walt's European trips, the architectural style fits existing Disney IPs like Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasyland and the Matterhorn, and it's one that the Imagineers would have a field day emulating.

Parks: At least one new country at Epcot (there isn't much room here for expansion)... maybe the Low Countries, Brazil or Thailand. And maybe fill the large empty building behind Germany with a German-themed ride. An Autobahn-themed coaster would be cool, but probably redundant with Test Track in the same park, so perhaps a something like a scenic Sommerrodelbahn (mountain coaster or luge).

A South American or Australian themed area to Animal Kingdom, not forgetting to add some live animal exhibits. Who wouldn't love to see kangaroos, capybaras, alpacas and macaws? An Andes-themed mountain ride.

Find something, anything, to fit in the mostly empty spaces at the Magic Kingdom, like the Diamond Horseshoe (a Woody's Round-up animatronic or puppet show?) and Stitches Great Escape. Any new attractions to offset the Magic Kingdom crowds we all complain about.

You make some interesting points...at Epcot, it's been discussed ad nauseam, there is room for two, potentially 3 new countries in the WS. The problem is that the original concept had each country involved with ideas and $$$...that's not going to happen in 2019, so it will be up to Disney to go it alone unless they get REAL lucky.
In the MK, I agree that something has to be done with the Diamond Horseshoe and Stitch. My only fear is that TSI will eventually go bye bye. It's one of those iconic attractions and my DF still loves it. Open Aunt Polly's permanently. It's such a great place to relax and unwind. The problem is that it's such a big piece of property, I feel it's just a matter of time before something is going to take it's place. We're also fans of the speedway, but again, the only thing I would like to see take it's place would be a Cars Radiator Springs style attraction. It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of DLR's version (although that would be great!), but as much as I love the smell of gasoline and exhaust, those rails make driving them nearly impossible. As far as the 5th gate goes, people are asking for a villain's themed park. Let's see what's announced at D23 later this year...We can only hope!

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
You make some interesting points...at Epcot, it's been discussed ad nauseam, there is room for two, potentially 3 new countries in the WS. The problem is that the original concept had each country involved with ideas and $$$...that's not going to happen in 2019, so it will be up to Disney to go it alone unless they get REAL lucky.
In the MK, I agree that something has to be done with the Diamond Horseshoe and Stitch. My only fear is that TSI will eventually go bye bye. It's one of those iconic attractions and my DF still loves it. Open Aunt Polly's permanently. It's such a great place to relax and unwind. The problem is that it's such a big piece of property, I feel it's just a matter of time before something is going to take it's place. We're also fans of the speedway, but again, the only thing I would like to see take it's place would be a Cars Radiator Springs style attraction. It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of DLR's version (although that would be great!), but as much as I love the smell of gasoline and exhaust, those rails make driving them nearly impossible. As far as the 5th gate goes, people are asking for a villain's themed park. Let's see what's announced at D23 later this year...We can only hope!
Whether it stays themed as Tom Sawyer's Island or becomes something else, Rivers of America and some kind of themed island in the middle are probably permanent features, if for no other reason than they're an integral part of the pumping system for all the other water attractions in the park. They would need to re-engineer and re-pipe almost everything if they ever decided to get rid of it.

Smiley/OCD

Whether it stays themed as Tom Sawyer's Island or becomes something else, Rivers of America and some kind of themed island in the middle are probably permanent features, if for no other reason than they're an integral part of the pumping system for all the other water attractions in the park. They would need to re-engineer and re-pipe almost everything if they ever decided to get rid of it.
That is true, but rumors have been thrown about that the Liberty Belle riverboat would be one day docked permanently and converted to a restaurant. If that's the case, a bridge could be built to the island, the Rivers of America could remain just as is, and the island converted to anything.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Build a slate of additions to all four parks that raise daily ride capacity...something always a hallmark of Disney parks...never be “finished”.

Stop trying to sell amusement park gates 2-3 times per day...it’s messing with things that need not be messed with.

More mouse ears...I can never find a new pair 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There is still room for about 8 more countries in showcase without breaking a sweat.

But ZERO have been built since the mid 80’s...so that’s not gonna happen.
People overlook the simple truth here: there’s no money in it for Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I love your ideas...

‘Cept for the 5th park...that’s a no go for a lot of reason that will never change

Smiley/OCD

There is still room for about 8 more countries in showcase without breaking a sweat.

But ZERO have been built since the mid 80’s...so that’s not gonna happen.
People overlook the simple truth here: there’s no money in it for Disney.
I'm just going on @marni1971's posts...if I recall he said two, potentially 3, maybe there could be more? We're both looking for the same thing, not to close existing attractions, but ADD (as long as it's done tastefully, not shoe horned in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm just going on @marni1971's posts...if I recall he said two, potentially 3, maybe there could be more? We're both looking for the same thing, not to close existing attractions, but ADD (as long as it's done tastefully, not shoe horned in.

He alludes to a lot...and I bet some of that is warranted. WDI has always had Epcot as their “go to” rumor bank when things get slow...

But the simple reality is that no countries have been put in motion really since the park was opened. Morocco was already assured and I GUESS Norway can be a net add but the park was still in infancy. And that was a collapse/disaster arrangement on the private sponsor end.

They have had 30 years to prove me wrong...but nobody has claimed the belt

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I generally stay at my home resort of Beach club villas so basically I can't comment on the resorts. I love my resort and don't need any additions to it.
My only other suggestion was an African based resort and that's been done.

lol, people here would hate my idea for any of the parks, I would love Wakanda land from Black Panther. (ducking the poison darts now)

Shouldigo12

How many people spend days/half days at the resorts, I wonder? Encouraging people to spend time at the resorts is the only thing I can think of that would take some people out of the parks while still keeping them on Disney property. At least in the case of on-site guests.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
How many people spend days/half days at the resorts, I wonder? Encouraging people to spend time at the resorts is the only thing I can think of that would take some people out of the parks while still keeping them on Disney property. At least in the case of on-site guests.
Because our visits are usually 7-10 days, we often spend the afternoons at the resort pool (or one of the water parks) to escape the heat/crowds/insanity that usually descends upon the parks by 1 pm. At least where we usually stay (the Wilderness Lodge), the pool area capacity isn't remotely big enough to make a dent in the park crowds, though.

CLEtoWDW

I have a very unpopular resort(s) idea. Take the wrecking ball to all the value resorts and use the land to build a combination 5th gate and embedded new resorts. The value resorts are clearly a volume play and I’d challenge Disney to instead go for more resorts like what’s being built at Coronado Springs. As for the 5th gate I don’t necessarily have any specific ideas but I’m sure Disney would have some ideas in mind.

Shouldigo12

Because our visits are usually 7-10 days, we often spend the afternoons at the resort pool (or one of the water parks) to escape the heat/crowds/insanity that usually descends upon the parks by 1 pm. At least where we usually stay (the Wilderness Lodge), the pool area capacity isn't remotely big enough to make a dent in the park crowds, though.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much of a dent it would actually make, especially since not every guest sleeps onsite. There are more than just the pools though- I remember when I was looking at the different resorts I woukd see things for activities like boating or I think even horseback riding.

I think at the least it would be worth their effort to make the different activities (not just the pools) more well known.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom