Would anyone like an update or see some fixes to Fantasmic?

Sketch105

Original Poster
After years of avoiding it due to my patience for waiting an hour for a show, I decided to take in a showing of Fantasmic.

The show is still fantastic, especially when viewed from a great seat- the canoes from Pocahontas quietly coming around the riverbend, the floating barges full of characters, the quirky musical bubble interludes, and the fiery demise of Maleficent leading to the finale Steamboat are all still wonderful.

BUT..

putting aside the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" statement, what would you like to see done to the show to "plus" it?

I would love some new, high def projectors for the water screens, and for inclusion of some newer characters (without deleting too many oldies but goodies).

Oh, and the dragon from Disneyland?

Thoughts?

The Tuna

I am definitely in the minority but i found Fantasmic to be the worst of the night time shows. I don't know what it is I'm missing that everyone else gets about it.

Chef Mickey

I see 3 major problems with the show as it sits today.

1) It relies far too much on video projection.

2) The show feels "old" because nothing after about 1998 is featured.

3) The Pocahontas scene is tired and not the best option even originally. Eisner wanted it, so it happened. Peter Pan's sequence at Disneyland is better, but I think they could update that with a newer scene from a more recent or even more classic movie. Pocahontas never was one of the more popular movies.

That said, it's one of my favorite shows on property. I think they could add more effects, pyrotechnics, fireworks, and other "scenes" in favor of all the time projections are made on the water screens. The projection scenes last too long. I know they probably use this to prep the next scene, but it needs better execution. I don't like "watching a movie" during a live show.

Last edited:

yedliW

I saw it for the first time about a year and a half ago and I would have to say I was thoroughly underwhelmed with it. Add in the insane wait required (and less than comfortable aluminum bleachers to sit on for an hour or more before the show starts), and I have little (if any) desire to see it again, especially if I am traveling with people who have seen it again.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Anything can always use improvements but still love the whole show and me and DH never miss it! Gives me goosebumps still every single time when Mickey appears at the top at the end. :)

JIMINYCR

They need to do something more to keep guests occupied with a pre-fantasmic show. Maybe have retractable screens that show Disney classic shorts or movie clips. Then before the show starts they disappear. The CM's that try getting guests attention as others file in before the show begins cant do it. And I totally agree... a change in the show away from Pocahontas would be most welcomed.

Cmdr_Crimson

I honestly think they should revamp it and add the Pixar characters and animated films past 1997..Scrap the Pocahontas sequence for a PoTC with Captain Jack Sparrow & Barbosa sword fight on the mountain..

osucbsb

We loved it. We did the dinner package at Mama Melrose's, which the meal in itself was fantastic. With the dinner, we got our seats right in the center and we got to the show about 30 minutes in advance.

Last edited:

FettFan

Wouldn't mind if they scrapped Fantasmic altogether and built a new version of World of Color in that arena.

graphite1326

I see 3 major problems with the show as it sits today.

1) It relies far too much on video projection.

2) The show feels "old" because nothing after about 1998 is featured.

3) The Pocahontas scene is tired and not the best option even originally. Eisner wanted it, so it happened. Peter Pan's sequence at Disneyland is better, but I think they could update that with a newer scene from a more recent or even more classic movie. Pocahontas never was one of the more popular movies.

That said, it's one of my favorite shows on property. I think they could add more effects, pyrotechnics, fireworks, and other "scenes" in favor of all the time projections are made on the water screens. The projection scenes last too long. I know they probably use this to prep the next scene, but it needs better execution. I don't like "watching a movie" during a live show.
I never figured out why the Pocahontas scene was in there. It doesn't seem to fit and interrupts the flow of the show. Eisner is gone so lets get rid of it and replace it with something new.

graphite1326

They need to do something more to keep guests occupied with a pre-fantasmic show. Maybe have retractable screens that show Disney classic shorts or movie clips. Then before the show starts they disappear. The CM's that try getting guests attention as others file in before the show begins cant do it. And I totally agree... a change in the show away from Pocahontas would be most welcomed.
Didn't they used to have a comedian do a show while people were coming in?

graphite1326

Last few times I went there were two or three people (CM's ) trying to entertain the crowds but they were failing miserably with lame routines.
Correct me if I'm wrong, and this quite a while ago; it seems they used to have professional comedians for this show and for the Indiana Jones Stunt show.

DisneyJunkie

For me, I'd just like them to fix it so it's a decent show. I've seen it one time a few years back just to see what I had been missing, and I just wasn't overly impressed by it. Nothing really wow'd me.

Chef Mickey

I never figured out why the Pocahontas scene was in there. It doesn't seem to fit and interrupts the flow of the show. Eisner is gone so lets get rid of it and replace it with something new.
A true example of the laziness/lack of motivation the current management has to change anything to disrupt the cash cow.

It doesn't make sense in there, does it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom