Would an annual pass be worth it?

Scor1pion

Trying to figure out if buying an annual pass would be worth it. My family and I live in NY. We make it down to WDW every year. Thinking of maybe trying for twice over the next 12 months. What type of discounts on rooms and such if any do annual pass holders get?

I see there is an offer right now Cool Summer Offer but since I'm not a pass holder I can't see the details. I haven't booked this years trip yet, some family issues keeping us in limbo. I am curious though if it would be worth it for me to buy the annual passes for this trip and have them for the next since I'd have to buy tickets anyway.

lazyboy97o

I don't know about offers, but I have noticed that when a lot of people are looking at when they break even with discounts they are looking at buying Annual Passes for each family member. That often doesn't work out very well because of the way ticket prices are front loaded. It seems people forget that only one person (whoever will be doing the booking and paying) needs the Annual Pass in order to get the discounts.

Upvote 0

bee

I believe the breakeven point for number of days visiting the parks is 11. The resort discounts tend to be around 15-35% off, depending on the dates and the resort type (with deluxes having a higher discount rate than moderates and values). Some restaurants offer a 10-20% discount for passholders, and you are also eligible to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card, which gives you 20% off most table service restaurants in WDW.

Upvote 0

Scor1pion

Original Poster
I don't know about offers, but I have noticed that when a lot of people are looking at when they break even with discounts they are looking at buying Annual Passes for each family member. That often doesn't work out very well because of the way ticket prices are front loaded. It seems people forget that only one person (whoever will be doing the booking and paying) needs the Annual Pass in order to get the discounts.

And then just buy the remaining needed tickets for the rest of the group at the gate or online somewhere?

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

And then just buy the remaining needed tickets for the rest of the group at the gate or online somewhere?
Yes, wherever you normally buy your tickets. It just depends on your number of days each trip. Maybe it was just for Florida residents or something like that, but I think some of the children prices were done away with for Annual Passes, so if you have young kids that could be another factor.

Upvote 0

bee

Only get an AP if it makes sense when you consider only park admission. Discounts and perks are not guaranteed and can be withdrawn at any time and have been in recent years.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment If you must have some sort of room discount to break even.
That's an excellent point, and precisely the reason we did not renew our APs this year. We did not (and still do not!) know if we'll actually be in the parks enough days to justify having APs, and the potential resort discounts are not enough pull for us right now.

Upvote 0

Scor1pion

Original Poster
Only get an AP if it makes sense when you consider only park admission. Discounts and perks are not guaranteed and can be withdrawn at any time and have been in recent years.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment If you must have some sort of room discount to break even.

Good to know, thanks. One trip a year would most likely always be on-site (roughly 7 day stay) while the second trip of the year would very possibly be off site (3-4 days).

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Good to know, thanks. One trip a year would most likely always be on-site (roughly 7 day stay) while the second trip of the year would very possibly be off site (3-4 days).
An AP would be a better deal at $697 if you were to get a 7 day park hopper and a 4 day park hopper ticket which comes in at $817.

Upvote 0

Scor1pion

Original Poster
An AP would be a better deal at $697 if you were to get a 7 day park hopper and a 4 day park hopper ticket which comes in at $817.

Just went and did some math. Even a 6 day PH and a 3 day PH would come in at 760 so an annual pass would still be cheaper. Plus if I stay off site one of those trips parking would be included.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just went and did some math. Even a 6 day PH and a 3 day PH would come in at 760 so an annual pass would still be cheaper. Plus if I stay off site one of those trips parking would be included.
Correct.

You also might want to look into the Tables in Wonderland card. The cost is $100 per year and it gets you a 20% discount (including alcohol) at nearly all table service and a select few counter service restaurants on property for up to a party of 9. It will save you money if you see yourself spending more than $500 at qualifying restaurants.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

The AP is even more worth it if you can stagger your trips in such a way that you get two years worth of trips on one AP. For example, we did trips in February 2014, October 2014, and January 2015 all on one AP - we moved the winter trip to January the second year to make sure it was covered under 2014's pass.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Quoting this for truth. The other discounts are nice, but are subject to change at any time. Many of the discounts are similar to those offered to Disney Visa or DVC members. Room discounts used to be 10-15% better for APs, or just for APs, but lately they are often coming out right around the same date as those for the GP, and are maybe 5% better if you are lucky. If you can swing those 11ish park days in a 366 days, then its worth it. In your case however, if one of your trips would be offsite you could factor in the $15 (or whatever parking is up to now) savings each day.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

As noted if you are going on two or more trips totaling 11 days or more. Yes get the AP. For me it has also come in handy as I had a business trip to Orlando and was able to go to the parks for a couple of nights.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I believe the breakeven point for number of days visiting the parks is 11. The resort discounts tend to be around 15-35% off, depending on the dates and the resort type (with deluxes having a higher discount rate than moderates and values). Some restaurants offer a 10-20% discount for passholders, and you are also eligible to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card, which gives you 20% off most table service restaurants in WDW.
Also you get 10% discount in most merchandise stores in the parks and Downtown Disney. (You don't have to spend a minimum of $50 like with the Disney Visa discount). The only stores not included is like Curl in DD, the new shoe stores there, etc that are not Disney owned. 98% of mercandise stores take the AP for the 10% discount. :)
Just like others noted if you will do 11 days or more in a year then the AP is definately worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scor1pion

Original Poster
When does the count down clock start on an annual pass? Do the days start ticking away when you buy it or from first day of use?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

When does the count down clock start on an annual pass? Do the days start ticking away when you buy it or from first day of use?

Depends on what/where you buy. If you purchase online or at a Disney Store, you get a voucher that needs to be redeemed at a ticket window at the parks. But either once that is redeemed, or once you buy a new AP at a ticket window, then the timer starts.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom