Worth the hype?/Unpopular Opinion

Phonedave

Interesting. I just gave about the same ratings. Always loved 'Ohana to the point it was a must do every trip. Now, just ok. I'll give it another shot. The other was the Cape May Cafe. Price was crazy, but I guess about on point for a Disney restaurant. Service was as you described. Unforgivable was they couldn't keep the buffet stocked with all the expensive items, or in other words, the stuff people came in for. Giving them another chance this upcoming trip and hoping they will be better this time.

My kids always loved 'Ohana, while I like it. Last time we went (which was a while ago) my then 15 year old make the comment as we were leaving "Dad, we don't need to come here anymore" and I didn't disagree.

In Cape May Cafe, my waitress totally bailed on me for the entire time (I wanted an other drink) and the food they did put out was not good at all. Overcooked seafood, ribs that were like leather, desserts with ice crystals still in them, clams that were more sand than clams, just bad all around.

ddbowdoin

Ok, here we go...

preface: my opinions are definitely staggered based on previous lifestyle choices that would certainly impact me today.

I have always struggled with eating habits, mainly portions, like many people.

Overrated (but worth it for experience) : SciFi , the experience makes it worth it. The food is boring and overpriced but that’s Disney.

overrated (and not worth it) : LeCellier

it’s touted as a high end steak house and simply isn’t, overpriced (not the issue) but for what you get. I’ve eaten at too many high end steak houses around the US so this experience was ruined for me based on previous experience and the hype of people gassing it up.

Hockey89

overrated (and not worth it) : LeCellier
it’s touted as a high end steak house and simply isn’t, overpriced (not the issue) but for what you get. I’ve eaten at too many high end steak houses around the US so this experience was ruined for me based on previous experience and the hype of people gassing it up.
Comparing it to Grill 23 or big your high end steak place in your city and it's not even close... Same with the YM steakhouse....Night and day

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
After reading over this thread, I'd have to agree on some of these too. And if I'd go back over my old posts, I'm sure I was pushing some of my favorites too that may be more hype than not.

I love Sanna bread service. We go for lunch on our first day back every year. But we don't do dinner anymore. They changed the menu and nothing excites me there anymore. LeCellier and Coral Reef are no goes for me as well. I've done LeCellier at least 4 times, never came out satisfied. Usually it OK to less than ok for me. Worst dinner ever at Coral Reef, don't get Alligator sausage if they still have it. The view is spectacular though.

For me, my most consistent great meal every time has be Victoria and Alberts, but we can't do that one every year. To expensive. But Tiffins has been great every time we've gone (3 times so far since they opened). And believe it or not Liberty Tree Tavern and Garden Grill have always been fun and a good "home cooked" meal kind of dinner every time.

We've eaten at most of all the sit downs in all the parks and resorts now, and we have favorites, but even they have disappointed us from time to time like Jiko, Flying Fish, Monsieur Paul. But like was said before, they change quality all the time. So we still go back every couple of years to see if they stepped up again. Well, except one...looking at you LeCellier, you've had you chances.

Hcalvert

I used to love Sunshine Grill... my wife and I would always hop in there and grab eggs, bacon , a pastry and juice.

not eating any sugar these days has really sucked the joy out of Disney snacks for me.
I really liked the savory snack I got at Sunshine Grill last July--it was a cheese sampler with strawberries and grapes.

Last edited:

awoogala

We finally did Brown Derby a year ago- the drinks were good. The food was- not. The cobb salad was probably the worst cobb salad I've ever had in my life- soggy, tasteless. None of us were impressed with anything we ordered. I might try again, though- different days, different people working in the kitchen, all adds up to a different experience depending.
I also find recommendations have to be taken with a grain of salt- someone might have eaten there 6 months or a year ago- things can obviously change in that time.
I've never had a bad meal or bad time at Spice Road Table, so my suggestion would be different than op.

HoneyBee1991

Original Poster
And believe it or not Liberty Tree Tavern and Garden Grill have always been fun and a good "home cooked" meal kind of dinner every time.

I totally agree with you on Garden grille being nice. But Liberty Tree Tavern is another one that I cringe over whenever I hear or see someone rave about. The service wasn't great (not terrible, I have for sure experienced worse but it did rub me the wrong way). And this restaurant is SO LOUD!!! Like nightmare level, little children squeal and you can hear it clear on the other side of the restaurant loud. Why does no one ever mention that in their reviews? To some people this really does matter. On top of that I don't think it's a good value for some pretty basic food.

ThisisnotDetroit

Garden Grill surprised us in a very good way. We booked it because it was one of the few that we had never tried, and I wanted to check out the scenes from The Land from a different angle. We went into it expecting gross food and bad service, but the service and the character interactions were fantastic! Maybe we were just really hot that day, but the strawberry shortcake dessert made us super happy. The rest of the meal was yummy, too!

I LOVE Jiko. I think it is the best meal that we have had at Disney. Another one that we booked because we hadn't tried it previously. So insanely delicious. Service was superb.

Surprisingly, we hated Sanaa. For us, the food was nothing special and lacked in flavor. Super unpopular opinion - the atmosphere felt like a chain restaurant in an airport.

I was disappointed by 50's Prime Time. We were seated a TV table. We got a fun server. We ordered the fried cheese. But, still...both my mom and I left feeling indifferent about it. The food was okay, but nothing special. I think we had just built it up too much in our minds.

John park hopper

Having been to Good Turn restaurant in the early 80's and then it became the Garden Grill I was totally disappointed when we tried it and will never go back

UNCgolf

I was disappointed by 50's Prime Time. We were seated a TV table. We got a fun server. We ordered the fried cheese. But, still...both my mom and I left feeling indifferent about it. The food was okay, but nothing special. I think we had just built it up too much in our minds.

Yeah, the food at 50's Prime Time is nothing special. I'm pretty sure the mashed potatoes I had last time I was there were of the instant variety; they certainly tasted like it.

I think most people go for the atmosphere. The food is decent enough that it's fun to eat there in the setting.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I really like Story Book Dining at Artist's Point. The first time we went for the character interaction as we were with 5 kids, but we've have been back since because we like the food, especially the apps and the desserts and the Blackberry alcohol drink. We got the prime rib each time, which was too much food. So, when we go back, we're trying a different entree. My son gets the pasta is happy with it. I know this place gets a lot of gripes, but based on experience, it has one of the better food with character dining.

We went to 50s and were not impressed. I also think Sci-Fi is iffy, but I don't mind their BBQ burger. They serve horrible steaks.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I totally agree with you on Garden grille being nice. But Liberty Tree Tavern is another one that I cringe over whenever I hear or see someone rave about. The service wasn't great (not terrible, I have for sure experienced worse but it did rub me the wrong way). And this restaurant is SO LOUD!!! Like nightmare level, little children squeal and you can hear it clear on the other side of the restaurant loud. Why does no one ever mention that in their reviews? To some people this really does matter. On top of that I don't think it's a good value for some pretty basic food.
I agree LTT is very loud. And if you can believe it, it used to be even louder when it was a character dinner. But we liked it better then. Nothing like seeing Chip and Dale really get into be mischievous. They would slide across the floors, put the roll flour on peoples faces. (The rolls they server are very flour powdery) We've never seen them act that way in any other setting or charter meal.
And when the Not So Scary party was going, they were all in there Halloween costumes too. Alas, no more character dinner.

And the whole place does runs a bit slow (from waiting to be seated to end of the meal), but I think that may be because of the layout of the place. It very broken up and multi-leveled. Very crowded seating and table positions, and difficult to move around in.

But we still like the meal.

JoshQuillin

Oh no! I love Sanaa! However I've only been there for lunch so I can't speak to the dinner service. For me it would have to be Tony's at MK, Flame Tree BBQ (Counter Service I know but it's so hyped) at AK, Monsieur Paul at Epcot, and everything inside Galaxy's Edge at HS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom