Worth the hype?/Unpopular Opinion

HoneyBee1991

Original Poster
Have you ever went to a restaurant that was recommended by everyone and it didn't live up to the hype? Or have you experienced great food at a notoriously "bad" restaurant? Do you have an unpopular opinion on a disney restaurant.

Literally everyone told us that Sanaa was SOOO AMAZING! Guess what? I hated it and my husband thought it was just okay but not worth the price. Other restaurants that didn't live up to the hype or served us food we thought tasted terrible? The lunch at Be Our Guest, satu'li canteen, and dinner at spice road table. 🤢 Spice Road Table also was hands down the worst service I have ever experienced at any restaurant (disney or otherwise).

We also heard a lot of people hate on the food at Crystal Palace. Now we only eat there once and I know the quality of restaurants change regularly. However, when we eat there the food was fantastic.

What about you? What is the "to die for" restaurant you cannot stand? Or what "awful" restaurant would you recommend?

belledream

Funny you say Sanaa cause I sort of felt the same way about it at the time. I think it maybe had to do with what I chose to order (Kenya Coffee Barbecue Sandwich... idk why I was so boring) but I was not impressed. But, I’d definitely give Sanaa (and myself) another chance.

I honestly did not find dinner at ‘Ohana to be amazing. Everything from the noodles to dumplings to meats to bread pudding were, in my opinion, not THAT legendary or deserving of their “cult-following”. I don't find myself longing to go back anytime soon...

And I just love BOG lunch. Yes, it’s overpriced, loud, etc etc but can’t help it. I NEED my tuna salad and salty soups every trip.

GeoDonJac34

A few years back my family tried 50s Prime Time. I know a lot of people love the place, but we were not impressed. I love comfort food, so I was hoping to enjoy, but I thought it was just so so. On the other end, we tried San Angel Inn on our last trip. The place doesn't get much love, but I enjoyed my meal. A little pricey for what I had and a little cramped in there, but better than I expected.

Club Cooloholic

I have loved Crystal Palace and Hoop De as well. Most underrated was Maria and Enzos, Brown Derby, Tokyo Dining and Chefs De Paris. And...if it is possible Cinderella's castle while expensive is pretty good food and great on a super hot day!

Be Our Guest and 1900 Park Fare were so disappointing, I can't see eating there again. Poor service and underwhelming food.

Epcotfan21

One major problem that hits Disney more than any restaurant area is the inconstancy of the food. It's shocking how a sig place can be great one time and puke worthy the next.
This exactly. We had two fantastic meals at California Grill and the third time we went, we were like what the heck happened. Same with Jiko, first time we went it was amazing and the next time it was just an average meal.

People will roll their eyes, but the only place we've had consistently good meals and service is Le Cellier.

Tinkerfan4ever

Hands down... Boma. We have eaten there for both dinner and breakfast and both were just meh.... In general I like the buffets at Disney because I can usually find one thing that I really like. I just didn't have luck here. (Well except the zebra domes, but I wasn't going to make a meal out of that!)

epcotisbest

We go to Sanaa specifically for the bread service, and we love it. Might get some soup or something to go with it, but always the bread service. The Kenya AA press pot coffee is pretty good too.

5029AFF7-11F0-42DA-AC9D-41DC9476C3DB.jpeg

HouCuseChickie

While I love Sanaa, I've come away from a number of raved about spots where I have to question the hype. I made some dietary changes in 2018 due to food sensitivities and don't think it's fair for me to slam any hype since then (in fact, some places are much better when you're not eating from their main menu offerings), but anything I experienced 2017 and earlier is fair game. Tusker House, Liberty Tree, Be Our Guest, Le Cellier, Raglan Road, Narcoosee's, Homecomin' and Boma were all things that just never lived up to the hype, and in some cases were downright bad. There are other things, like 50s, that some people love that I would repeat, but never felt it was "amazing" like I hear from so many.

epcotisbest

While I love Sanaa, I've come away from a number of raved about spots where I have to question the hype. I made some dietary changes in 2018 due to food sensitivities and don't think it's fair for me to slam any hype since then (in fact, some places are much better when you're not eating from their main menu offerings), but anything I experienced 2017 and earlier is fair game. Tusker House, Liberty Tree, Be Our Guest, Le Cellier, Raglan Road, Narcoosee's, Homecomin' and Boma were all things that just never lived up to the hype, and in some cases were downright bad. There are other things, like 50s, that some people love that I would repeat, but never felt it was "amazing" like I hear from so many.

Homecomin' was one of those I left with mixed feelings about. On its own, it was OK. Decent fried chicken, if a little salty. The sides were good and the biscuits alright as well. The fried green tomatoes were good too.
But, and here is the thing, for people who have not grown up in the south, where much better southern cooking is something you had every time you visited your Grannie's house, it probably seems really good.
My grannie's fried chicken, biscuits, potatoes, fried green tomatoes simply blows away anything anywhere.
And here is the other thing, there are dozens of places withing easy driving distance that beats it too. You can go in any small town in Georgia and find some of the best southern cooking around, and, you don't even have to look real hard.
A best for us is Weaver D's in Athens, GA. His motto, "Automatic for the People," was used as an album title for REM. And the southern cooking there, at about 1/3 the price of Homecomin'? Let's just say there is no comparison.
Two pieces of fried chicken with two sides and cornbread at Weaver Ds - $9.
Two pieces of fried chicken with one side and a biscuit at Homecomin' - $29.

chicken.jpg

JIMINYCR

On one of our first trips to WDW, the Brown Derby and Le Celliere were both recommended to us. At the time we were not as financially well off as we are now but our Disney trip was the highlight of our year and we had saved for a long time to do it up right. Those 2 restaurants were pricier than what we normally would have chosen but we were told time after time by many, they were do not miss experiences that were guaranteed to please. Nothing went well at both and we came away feeling they were a waste of time and money. Both meals were disgustingly poor on many fronts. We have been back to retry them, give them another chance to please since then and still dont see the fascination of either. Like others have posted, everyone has different tastes and opinins, these dont seem to match ours.

HouCuseChickie

Homecomin' was one of those I left with mixed feelings about. On its own, it was OK. Decent fried chicken, if a little salty. The sides were good and the biscuits alright as well. The fried green tomatoes were good too.
But, and here is the thing, for people who have not grown up in the south, where much better southern cooking is something you had every time you visited your Grannie's house, it probably seems really good.
My grannie's fried chicken, biscuits, potatoes, fried green tomatoes simply blows away anything anywhere.
And here is the other thing, there are dozens of places withing easy driving distance that beats it too. You can go in any small town in Georgia and find some of the best southern cooking around, and, you don't even have to look real hard.
A best for us is Weaver D's in Athens, GA. His motto, "Automatic for the People," was used as an album title for REM. And the southern cooking there, at about 1/3 the price of Homecomin'? Let's just say there is no comparison.
Two pieces of fried chicken with two sides and cornbread at Weaver Ds - $9.
Two pieces of fried chicken with one side and a biscuit at Homecomin' - $29.

View attachment 461876

My husband tried the chicken and said it was good, but he wasn't blown away by it either. My biggies were the deviled eggs and the mac & cheese. Both were raved about and both fell flat for me. Someone actually thought there was something wrong with me for not thinking his mac & cheese was amazing. Not that I remember living there, but I was born in Georgia and have lived in the south since the early 90s. So, I've had my share of really good southern food. I've also been told by people who have grown up on southern food and soul food that my personal mac & cheese recipe is some of the very best they've ever had...like put their southern grandma to shame. It's one of the things I'd sometimes make for our office food days and group parties where people would pay me to make it (vs. having to bring their own dish). My MIL grew up in Virginia and her southern deviled eggs are better than anything I've ever had. Both DH and I took a bite of the ones at Homecomin', looked at each other and just shook our heads with disappointment.

The cost for it all at Homecomin' also got me. You can go to all kinds of country places and get really good family versions of all of this and pay a fraction of his prices. Yeah, I know...it's Disney and the prices are $$$, but it's one of those places where I wouldn't bother again since I know I can get better locally for a lot less.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Everyone's tastes are going to be different and unfortunately not everyone encounters the same experience.

I will say that I went to Be Our Guest for lunch November 22nd 2012 which was the day it opened and my family LOVED it and we have continued to love it since.
I've now been 10+ times and still love it.
Others claim its all hype but I went in with no bias opinion since everyone was experiencing it for the first time that day.

I had heard terrible things aobut Skipper Canteen but I love Jungle Cruise and wanted to try it.
I really enjoyed it.
I have not gone back since though because they changed the menu and what I want is no longer an option.

Earl Of Sandwich also seems to be a love it or hate it place and personally my family must go at least once every time.

On the other hand everyone said how great Coral Reef is and I don't like seafood or steak so I got the veggie dish which had red sauce which I also don't like so.... I won't go back.
We also sat far away from the aquarium.

HouCuseChickie

Earl Of Sandwich also seems to be a love it or hate it place and personally my family must go at least once every time.

That's another one! I know people love it and that's fine. We used to have a few locally and found other sandwich chains to be better, so we never went back. On the plus side, at least if you don't love it, you haven't spent a ton on your food. So, food disappointment won't hurt the wallet as much.

WDW_Emily

Le Chefs. I honestly think we just had an off night food-wise but we also felt the tables were closer together compared to other restaurants. I'll probably try it again one day but there are a ton of other places I need to go to first.

Underrated: Biergarten in Germany. I went here not looking forward to it but boy was I wrong. I love everything about this place.

HoneyBee1991

Original Poster
Everyone's tastes are going to be different and unfortunately not everyone encounters the same experience.

I will say that I went to Be Our Guest for lunch November 22nd 2012 which was the day it opened and my family LOVED it and we have continued to love it since.
I've now been 10+ times and still love it.
Others claim its all hype but I went in with no bias opinion since everyone was experiencing it for the first time that day.

On the other hand everyone said how great Coral Reef is and I don't like seafood or steak so I got the veggie dish which had red sauce which I also don't like so.... I won't go back.
We also sat far away from the aquarium.

I have to say I did go into lunch at BOG with high hopes. Not just because everyone said it was great but we also eat dinner there 2 years before and absolutely loved the food. We both had a seafood dish that was the highlight of our dining experience that trip. But it was more then both of us being like "we should have just went to Columbia Harbor." The sandwich I ordered was so bad I couldn't finish even half of it. I'm not saying I wouldn't go back, but it would be for breakfast or dinner as the lunch options just are not for us.

I think it's funny that people told you Coral Reef was good because literally every post I have read on it has been "don't go, you'll regret it." 😂 Oddly enough that's not enough to scare me away, my husband really wants to try it so it's on the list for next trip.

Tjaden

I'm going to be a bit of a negative nancy and say just about every sit-down restaurant outside of Monsieur Paul and Sanaa has disappointed me. I think Disney food in general is a bit overrated. Now don't get me wrong as I'll enjoy a Dole Whip, Casey Corner Hot Dog + "cheese", and frozen banana everday of my trip and be perfectly happy but most sit-down options seem pretty average at best. It makes sense though when you look at the volume that they're churning out every day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom