worst orlando hotel ever

stitch82

Original Poster
i thought i'd give this a mention in here...

i spent one night at the econo lodge hawaiian in orlando a few weeks ago, and it was the absolute worst hotel i've ever stayed at. the room was very dirty and reeked of mildew, there were bugs everywhere, the door did not lock properly, the staff was grouchy and unwilling to allow me to switch rooms or cancel my room entirely without being charged. :mad: it was definately the most negative hotel experience i've ever had, and i travel quite frequently. needless to say, i found another hotel the next morning...

no matter what articles are printed about the disney hotels losing their magic, after one night at the econo lodge even the all-star resorts seem like heaven!! :sohappy:

speck76

You get what you pay for.

If you want to pay $35 for a room, you will get a $35 room.......

Don't expect Maine Lobster for the price of Chicken McNuggets.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
almost everything on 192 sucks... and the north end of I-Drive. Areas that need massive revitalizing... but then where will the cheap Orlando hotels exist?

As far as Nikki Bird, that hotels scores have been getting lower and lower to the point that it's owners have put it up for sale and it's going to lose it's Holiday Inn Flag soon

homer424

mkt said:
As far as Nikki Bird, that hotels scores have been getting lower and lower to the point that it's owners have put it up for sale and it's going to lose it's Holiday Inn Flag soon

Doesn't surprise me. Nikki Bird used to be our favorite hotel to stay at-but it steadily declined and our last trip in 2003 sealed the deal for us. It was a bad experience and when we complained, the manager copped a 'tude and told us we should have complained sooner so they could do something. I told her if complained any sooner, I would have been complaining before anything happened. :brick:

barnum42

Was this the place just past the Big Orange, opposite Krispy Kreme?

I've stayed there a couple of times for two weeks each and had no problems. The rooms were clean and the bloke on the main desk was cheerful enough. The girl who was front desk in the evenings was a bit miserable - impeccably turned out, but zero personality.

I had a problem with the sink plug and the aircon was rattling, both were fixed when I notified the front desk.

I used the room only to sleep and it fulfilled that function. The free pastries in the morning helped me fuel up for the day. Except when they had a party from some allegedly Christian group who swiped the lot of them.

EDIT - It was the Quality Inn Polynesian I stayed at

stitch82

Original Poster
speck76 said:
You get what you pay for.

If you want to pay $35 for a room, you will get a $35 room.......

Don't expect Maine Lobster for the price of Chicken McNuggets.

for $35, i could have dealt. or just given up the cash & left. they were charging about twice that, and i thought that wasn't worth it.

also...can't you imagine...McLobster. :hurl:

barnum42 said:
Was this the place just past the Big Orange, opposite Krispy Kreme?

um...not sure that i remember a giant orange, but i wasn't really looking around.

barnum42

stitch82 said:
for $35, i could have dealt. or just given up the cash & left. they were charging about twice that, and i thought that wasn't worth it.
I paid less than $30 for my room (a lot less on one occasion). I noticed the official rates in the foyer, they were the same as Disney Value Resorts, which really surprised me. I'd never pay those prices, but for what I paid, I was happy.

speck76

stitch82 said:

um...not sure that i remember a giant orange, but i wasn't really looking around.

you should have been a more informed guest, and taken the responsibility to shop around a bit more.

If in the hotel name are the words Econo-, Budget-, or anything of the like, chances are, it will be crap.

stitch82

Original Poster
it was one of the last rooms i could find, as i didn't have much warning to shop around. normally i find *very* nice deals. (hooray for expedia!) also, i have stayed at some nice econo lodges and thought this would be similar, or at least average. i simply was disappointed, and thought it might be a useful post for our friends in the planning stages.

barnum, i am glad it worked out for you...that would be a great deal of savings!

mkt

Premium Member
stitch82 said:
it was one of the last rooms i could find, as i didn't have much warning to shop around. normally i find *very* nice deals. (hooray for expedia!) also, i have stayed at some nice econo lodges and thought this would be similar, or at least average. i simply was disappointed, and thought it might be a useful post for our friends in the planning stages.

barnum, i am glad it worked out for you...that would be a great deal of savings!

why try explaining this to us, when you could just as easily contact their corporate 1-800 number and ask to speak to whomever you complain to about a stay. Usually when it goes to corporate, the hotel has no choice but to listen to you.

As far as Expedia goes, read this: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=58880

you can usually get a better deal booking through the hotel directly ;)

speck76

Rarely will you get a better deal through Expedia or Hotels.com anymore.

Most hotels now offer a "Best Price Guarantee", which means that if you find a lower rate outside of the hotels own distribution channels, they will beat the price.

Expedia and Hotels.com were big for hotels after 9/11, but they have outlived their usefullness. The sites charge the hotels a 18-25% booking fee, which is pretty outrageous considering hotels pay travel agents a 10% commission, and if a guest books through the hotels own channels, the cost is minimal (especially if a guest books online).

Since the economy is coming back, more and more hotels are restricting Expedia and hotels.com to only sell the slowest seasons of the year.....

Magic Maker

Sorry to hear you had a difficult stay, but lesson learned I suppose.

I have never stayed at an Econolodge, and I never will. And I vow to avoid 192 altogether, but that's because I live here and I know there is so much more out here.

barnum42

Magic Maker said:
And I vow to avoid 192 altogether, but that's because I live here.
If you live there and vow to avoid it, that must make it tricky getting home after a long day's safari! :lol:

AEfx

stitch82 said:

Actually, McDonalds does offer a Lobster Roll regionally (at least in New England). Never had it myself (I prefer hot lobster) but I have heard many old time Mainers who swear by it. Costs between $5-6 I believe. Apparently, McDonalds doesn't freeze the meat and it is/was delivered fresh.

I say "is/was" because I can't recall seeing them promoted this year. Haven't been to a McD's to see, perhaps they didn't do the promotion this year. If they aren't, it's the first time in a long time - I believe they started appearing in the early-90's.

AEfx

Debbie

mkt said:
almost everything on 192 sucks... and the north end of I-Drive. Areas that need massive revitalizing... but then where will the cheap Orlando hotels exist?

Interesting this topic is current as my dad is thinking about going to a convention/reunion for his Army outfit and the information he received said that there are a block of rooms reserved at the Ramada Gateway? on 192 west for $65.00 per nite
Rob, since you are knowledgeable of this area; could you tell me if this place is also a dump? If you had to stay ANYwhere on 192, where would it be?
BTW: How is the hotel by the big Orange nowdays? I know someone who's mother insist on staying there because it's cheap.

Which Holiday Inn is the Nikki Bird? and help me get my map back in my head...........what is w 192 and what is east? Is the Old Time (forgot the name)(the amusement type area that's been there for 20+ years) on the west side and the east side is where you go into Magic Kingdom (if you keep going)? or do I have it reversed?

mkt

Premium Member
The Ramada gateway isn't hard to ignore at the price they sell rooms for. But not THAT hard.

It's one of the better offerings on US 192

stitch82

Original Poster
AEfx said:
Actually, McDonalds does offer a Lobster Roll regionally (at least in New England). Never had it myself (I prefer hot lobster) but I have heard many old time Mainers who swear by it. Costs between $5-6 I believe. Apparently, McDonalds doesn't freeze the meat and it is/was delivered fresh.

I say "is/was" because I can't recall seeing them promoted this year. Haven't been to a McD's to see, perhaps they didn't do the promotion this year. If they aren't, it's the first time in a long time - I believe they started appearing in the early-90's.

AEfx

interesting...thanks for the info! i guess i shouldn't really be shocked or anything, knowing they have different foods regionally/internationally, but i had no idea. neato.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom