Worst Disney World hotel experience thread

Muffinpants

Screenshot_20190128-083044.png

wdwfan22

This experience was definitely a case of Bell Services employees not behaving as they had in the past. I feel it is their job to help me transport items to my room as they had every other time. Others disagree. I had done the grocery run many times before without any problems getting help from Bell services so, in this case, all the issues were unexpected. I would have loved to have taken care of things either myself or with my family. My experiences were that things unexpectedly did not work out. I could not have foreseen that the bell services kids were goofing off and were not interested in helping me (or from my observations, the other guests).

When I stay at Pop I always have the ride drop me off closest to my room and then I haul the groceries myself. Keep in mind that I had left the family off at the check in building and that I never received any texts, either from Disney saying that the room was ready or from my family saying that they were in a room. So Naturally I would go back to where I left everyone.

I didn't put this in my original account, but I had even asked Bell services for a luggage cart so I could get to the room and they refused to lend me one. So no cart for self transport, No room in the fridge for 2 plastic bags of cold groceries and no one interested in helping me out, transporting me to my room as they were on the way to go pick up a check out's luggage.

For the other posters that can't comprehend why this was a problem, I probably can't help you to understand it any better. jaklgreen, I appreciate your efforts to help with your suggestions. They are good ones which I do when the situation enables them. This experience was definitely an unexpected exception to my usual experiences with getting items, to my room.
~NM

Bell services at Disney Value/Moderate resorts is to provide luggage assistant to Guests, not transport groceries or other items. And no they will not allow you to use their equipment for such as again it's luggage assistance.

Club Cooloholic

Bell services at Disney Value/Moderate resorts is to provide luggage assistant to Guests, not transport groceries or other items. And no they will not allow you to use their equipment for such as again it's luggage assistance.
I am always fascinated that someone staying at a room that does not have a kitchen is buying so much stuff from a grocery store. When I read cases plural of water I laughed. And why would staff think you have ice cream, you have no freezer.

Skibum1970

We usually bring two cases of Costco water and three cases of Gatorade.
And two boxes of snacks and breakfast cereal/oatmeal
But I also bring a small cart to move all of it from the car to the room.

We stayed at OKW last November and purchased bread, lunch mean, pretzals, bottled water, and some sodas. Saved a ton of money. Didn't need the kitchen because we weren't cooking meals but the microwave was nice to heat up the sandwiches. Small difference was that we had rented a car and parked next to where our room is and the room was ready upon our arrival.

Regarding the OP's post, what I don't understand is going to the grocery store prior to the rooms being ready. I get the time saving component but I really hate having to hold onto things until the room is ready. While I will store a carry-on with the concierge, I wouldn't hand him/her my bags of groceries. From PORS, you can get to a grocery store (it isn't Walmart but I don't know where Walmart is) in about 15 minutes. So, it doesn't take that long or waste that much time to wait until the room is ready. However, that is just my opinion.

MediocreAtBest

I realize this is lengthy but I actually left out a lot, so my apologies for that but Christmas week 2010 at AKL was more like experiencing being the target of a hidden cam prank show. I don't know that I'd believe all this happened, esp in one week at Disney, if it hadn't happened to us, the worst being felony drug theft by staff. If you make it reading to the end, lol, you're def patient person and thank you!

Although my AKL Christmas week experience has now been 8 years ago, it was truly so horrific that as much as my family loves WDW, we have yet to return. We're now grandparents and would desperately love to take him this fall, thus why I'm here, but we lost all trust in Disney, as I'm sure most would in our shoes. And I hate that.

We arrived exhausted very late at night (it was possibly very early in the morning) but it was abt midnight, +-2 hours. We were there to celebrate my daughter's engagement. They were unable to put us in the computer as they were down but they said we could just check in/register the following morning. Because we couldn't check in, we couldn't get an electronic room key - by their computer, we weren't even in a room but we didn't care bc Disney!

I awoke early and left my family sleeping to explore the gorgeous lodge. Abt 2 hrs later I'm ready to return & realize I couldn't even remember the floor we were on, let alone room number, I guess bc I was exhausted at check in. I went to the lobby to ask, assuming it would've at least been written down we were in the hotel. Nope. The manager couldn't tell me our room number and had no suggestions on how to find my room. So I went to every floor ovet and over, walking up and down the halls figuring eventually I'll run into my family, knowing they wouldn't leave the resort without me. After 90 minutes and upset and frustrated, I went back to the lobby hoping somehow, someone could help me. By coincidence it was the manager who talked to me bc others were busy. It was roughly 10a by now. He offered to let me guess at room numbers and take me to those room. He knocked and if no answer, he used his key to open the doors and allow me to peek in as I'd immediately recognize our belongings. 30 min later no luck and the manager had to go. I was beyond upset by this point and in desperation and anger, I started on the 2nd floor and walked down the hall screaming my husband's name and did the same on way back to the elevator. Finally on 6th my husband heard me screaming for him and opened the door. I broke down crying like a hypersensitive, fruitcake, wallflower. Almost 4 hours had passed. I perked up, it's Disney!

My husband went to check us in and came back saying we had to switch rooms bc we weren't actually in a Savannah room view that we'd paid (dearly!) for. But our room wasn't ready yet and bc the current room was going to someone else, we had to wait in the room until our Savannah room was ready so we could remove all our belongings and they could clean. Ok. Another setback but lets finally go do Disney, day 1!

On day 2 after dinner I realized the surprise welcome cake for my family I'd ordered to have in room on arrival. They were apologetic and said they couldn't give me a cake from the bakery I'd ordered but offered me a pre made one. Staff did feel bad and were extremely quick bring a cake and a major amt of plates, etc to our room. We were still all good though! Disney! When I cut the cake, it's half frozen. Deep breath!

Day 4 abt 10a I discovered that sometime between the previous morning someone had went through our suitcase, found our medicine in a bag with a key, STOLE our medicine, but thankfully, kindly left our spare house key. I was now livid. I called front desk and security came up and took a report and started an investigation. He told us we had a right to report the theft to the police. He had already explained he would know who every person was that entered our room and would go from there. I asked for assurance a thorough investigation would happen & (my family assumed it was the housekeeper, security didn't want to guess) when the person responsible was found, he would take appropriate action so I declined calling police.

We had to have the medicine bc it'd be too long going without until we got home and to dr, so we called our respective doctor's offices and told the doctors would call in the med to the pharmacy we gave them. I guess the manager was aware of the theft when we walked through the lobby to go to the pharmacy bc he caught up to us and told us they'd take care of getting us to CVS and to take one of the several taxis parked in front. Our doctors weren't fast abt calling CVS and by the time we finally arrived back at AKL it was almost time to leave for dinner reservation. The day was spent dealing with our stolen med. We were given $100 comp.

The final straw was when I asked on 2nd to last day why my daughter and fiance's engagement hadn't even been recognized, as it had been hyped at time of reservation that they'd be given tons congrats, a few surprises and at least one surprise cake bc that's how Disney rolls. They hadn't even received a congrats, let alone token or cake. The waitress looked on their computer and there was no mention of any engagement and explained the lack of ... everything. Our celebration and Christmas week at Disney had been crap.

Back at AKL my husband was angry and talked to whoever and they gave us a free night to stay the following night. These aren't the only bad experiences, just the worst, and it was very obvious by then managers were avoiding eye contact with us when we would walk through the lobby. Not sure if it was bc they knew it was bc even they recognized our week had far too many screw ups, even for a cheap dump hotel but inexcusable when the week was a Disney resort & cost $12,000... or maybe they started ignoring us bc the number of Disney staff-caused things that went far-too-wrong, thus forcing mgmt to respond, and they were tired of dealing with us. To us, it sermed like the second but we were just as tired of dealing with problems they caused us as they were of dealing with us.

Had we received an apology at the end of our week for all that had happened, it probably would've helped a lot but instead by day 4/5, the managers started intentionally ignoring us, quickly looking the other way or even walking into the side area to leave the desk. If Disney weren't famed for staff exceptionalism & at least a smile every time, that we initially experienced by resort staff, it likely wouldn't have been so obvious when the smiles & eager to help changed to blatent ignoring. Maybe they still have record of that week, even 8 years later but even if not, I feel free speaking about staff stealing meds, special cakes not delivered, blah blah, because it's the truth, whether they have record still or not. Side note: we know we were complacent bc it was Disney & it was irresponsible of us not to lock our meds in safe; "Disney love" isn't felt by a housekeeper wanting drugs! Also, I didn't ask for special engagement things to happen or be given to our daughter & fiance, I was asked if we were celebrating anything at reservation time & the CS rep giddily told me of the things staff would do, how characters would acknowledge their engagement, numetous times by staff every day, doing this and that. When told this will be their experience, then get nothing, it's disappointing & would've been better to not promise anything to me for the couple. Last, this was a pretty big breech of trust, mainly bc we had history of wonderful times prior to that week, and maybe those prior times are why that week still feels like and no trust. Managers ignoring you, ensuring you get the message they're tired of dealing with your problems they caused, broke that Disney love feeling and trust. We hope to just get over it though, and return this fall! I know he would love it! Oh, and we had to leave at 9p on the free night bc a snowstorm had occured earlier that day, our cat sitter left, and we worried about our cats and electricity going out! That we had to leave instead of staying for the free night is obv no fault of Disney.

Chi84

Premium Member
I realize this is lengthy but I actually left out a lot, so my apologies for that but Christmas week 2010 at AKL was more like experiencing being the target of a hidden cam prank show. I don't know that I'd believe all this happened, esp in one week at Disney, if it hadn't happened to us, the worst being felony drug theft by staff. If you make it reading to the end, lol, you're def patient person and thank you!

Although my AKL Christmas week experience has now been 8 years ago, it was truly so horrific that as much as my family loves WDW, we have yet to return. We're now grandparents and would desperately love to take him this fall, thus why I'm here, but we lost all trust in Disney, as I'm sure most would in our shoes. And I hate that.

We arrived exhausted very late at night (it was possibly very early in the morning) but it was abt midnight, +-2 hours. We were there to celebrate my daughter's engagement. They were unable to put us in the computer as they were down but they said we could just check in/register the following morning. Because we couldn't check in, we couldn't get an electronic room key - by their computer, we weren't even in a room but we didn't care bc Disney!

I awoke early and left my family sleeping to explore the gorgeous lodge. Abt 2 hrs later I'm ready to return & realize I couldn't even remember the floor we were on, let alone room number, I guess bc I was exhausted at check in. I went to the lobby to ask, assuming it would've at least been written down we were in the hotel. Nope. The manager couldn't tell me our room number and had no suggestions on how to find my room. So I went to every floor ovet and over, walking up and down the halls figuring eventually I'll run into my family, knowing they wouldn't leave the resort without me. After 90 minutes and upset and frustrated, I went back to the lobby hoping somehow, someone could help me. By coincidence it was the manager who talked to me bc others were busy. It was roughly 10a by now. He offered to let me guess at room numbers and take me to those room. He knocked and if no answer, he used his key to open the doors and allow me to peek in as I'd immediately recognize our belongings. 30 min later no luck and the manager had to go. I was beyond upset by this point and in desperation and anger, I started on the 2nd floor and walked down the hall screaming my husband's name and did the same on way back to the elevator. Finally on 6th my husband heard me screaming for him and opened the door. I broke down crying like a hypersensitive, fruitcake, wallflower. Almost 4 hours had passed. I perked up, it's Disney!

My husband went to check us in and came back saying we had to switch rooms bc we weren't actually in a Savannah room view that we'd paid (dearly!) for. But our room wasn't ready yet and bc the current room was going to someone else, we had to wait in the room until our Savannah room was ready so we could remove all our belongings and they could clean. Ok. Another setback but lets finally go do Disney, day 1!

On day 2 after dinner I realized the surprise welcome cake for my family I'd ordered to have in room on arrival. They were apologetic and said they couldn't give me a cake from the bakery I'd ordered but offered me a pre made one. Staff did feel bad and were extremely quick bring a cake and a major amt of plates, etc to our room. We were still all good though! Disney! When I cut the cake, it's half frozen. Deep breath!

Day 4 abt 10a I discovered that sometime between the previous morning someone had went through our suitcase, found our medicine in a bag with a key, STOLE our medicine, but thankfully, kindly left our spare house key. I was now livid. I called front desk and security came up and took a report and started an investigation. He told us we had a right to report the theft to the police. He had already explained he would know who every person was that entered our room and would go from there. I asked for assurance a thorough investigation would happen & (my family assumed it was the housekeeper, security didn't want to guess) when the person responsible was found, he would take appropriate action so I declined calling police.

We had to have the medicine bc it'd be too long going without until we got home and to dr, so we called our respective doctor's offices and told the doctors would call in the med to the pharmacy we gave them. I guess the manager was aware of the theft when we walked through the lobby to go to the pharmacy bc he caught up to us and told us they'd take care of getting us to CVS and to take one of the several taxis parked in front. Our doctors weren't fast abt calling CVS and by the time we finally arrived back at AKL it was almost time to leave for dinner reservation. The day was spent dealing with our stolen med. We were given $100 comp.

The final straw was when I asked on 2nd to last day why my daughter and fiance's engagement hadn't even been recognized, as it had been hyped at time of reservation that they'd be given tons congrats, a few surprises and at least one surprise cake bc that's how Disney rolls. They hadn't even received a congrats, let alone token or cake. The waitress looked on their computer and there was no mention of any engagement and explained the lack of ... everything. Our celebration and Christmas week at Disney had been crap.

Back at AKL my husband was angry and talked to whoever and they gave us a free night to stay the following night. These aren't the only bad experiences, just the worst, and it was very obvious by then managers were avoiding eye contact with us when we would walk through the lobby. Not sure if it was bc they knew it was bc even they recognized our week had far too many screw ups, even for a cheap dump hotel but inexcusable when the week was a Disney resort & cost $12,000... or maybe they started ignoring us bc the number of Disney staff-caused things that went far-too-wrong, thus forcing mgmt to respond, and they were tired of dealing with us. To us, it sermed like the second but we were just as tired of dealing with problems they caused us as they were of dealing with us.

Had we received an apology at the end of our week for all that had happened, it probably would've helped a lot but instead by day 4/5, the managers started intentionally ignoring us, quickly looking the other way or even walking into the side area to leave the desk. If Disney weren't famed for staff exceptionalism & at least a smile every time, that we initially experienced by resort staff, it likely wouldn't have been so obvious when the smiles & eager to help changed to blatent ignoring. Maybe they still have record of that week, even 8 years later but even if not, I feel free speaking about staff stealing meds, special cakes not delivered, blah blah, because it's the truth, whether they have record still or not. Side note: we know we were complacent bc it was Disney & it was irresponsible of us not to lock our meds in safe; "Disney love" isn't felt by a housekeeper wanting drugs! Also, I didn't ask for special engagement things to happen or be given to our daughter & fiance, I was asked if we were celebrating anything at reservation time & the CS rep giddily told me of the things staff would do, how characters would acknowledge their engagement, numetous times by staff every day, doing this and that. When told this will be their experience, then get nothing, it's disappointing & would've been better to not promise anything to me for the couple. Last, this was a pretty big breech of trust, mainly bc we had history of wonderful times prior to that week, and maybe those prior times are why that week still feels like *** and no trust. Managers ignoring you, ensuring you get the message they're tired of dealing with your problems they caused, broke that Disney love feeling and trust. We hope to just get over it though, and return this fall! I know he would love it! Oh, and we had to leave at 9p on the free night bc a snowstorm had occured earlier that day, our cat sitter left, and we worried about our cats and electricity going out! That we had to leave instead of staying for the free night is obv no fault of Disney.
Nice try but nowhere near Katiebug level . ..

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Had we received an apology at the end of our week for all that had happened, it probably would've helped a lot but instead by day 4/5, the managers started intentionally ignoring us, quickly looking the other way or even walking into the side area to leave the desk. If Disney weren't famed for staff exceptionalism & at least a smile every time, that we initially experienced by resort staff, it likely wouldn't have been so obvious when the smiles & eager to help changed to blatent ignoring. Maybe they still have record of that week, even 8 years later but even if not, I feel free speaking about staff stealing meds, special cakes not delivered, blah blah, because it's the truth, whether they have record still or not. Side note: we know we were complacent bc it was Disney & it was irresponsible of us not to lock our meds in safe; "Disney love" isn't felt by a housekeeper wanting drugs! Also, I didn't ask for special engagement things to happen or be given to our daughter & fiance, I was asked if we were celebrating anything at reservation time & the CS rep giddily told me of the things staff would do, how characters would acknowledge their engagement, numetous times by staff every day, doing this and that. When told this will be their experience, then get nothing, it's disappointing & would've been better to not promise anything to me for the couple. Last, this was a pretty big breech of trust, mainly bc we had history of wonderful times prior to that week, and maybe those prior times are why that week still feels like *** and no trust. Managers ignoring you, ensuring you get the message they're tired of dealing with your problems they caused, broke that Disney love feeling and trust. We hope to just get over it though, and return this fall! I know he would love it! Oh, and we had to leave at 9p on the free night bc a snowstorm had occured earlier that day, our cat sitter left, and we worried about our cats and electricity going out! That we had to leave instead of staying for the free night is obv no fault of Disney.
Don't quit your day job.

MediocreAtBest

Uh... ok? Was this not a post asking for personal experiences? I'm sure Disney keeps records so as long as they can verify, I couldn't care less whether or not you can. Are you typically this rude to people IRL? Bc if so, I'm sure you have spend plenty of alone time wondering why.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Larry! Appreciate it :rolleyes:
Don't quit your day job.

Chi84

Premium Member
Uh... ok? Was this not a post asking for personal experiences? I'm sure Disney keeps records so as long as they can verify, I couldn't care less whether or not you can. Are you typically this rude to people IRL? Bc if so, I'm sure you have spend plenty of alone time wondering why.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Larry! Appreciate it :rolleyes:
If you wanted people to believe you, you shouldn't have put in the part about Disney offering to provide a free cake.

MediocreAtBest

If you wanted people to believe you, you shouldn't have put in the part about Disney offering to provide a free cake.
They tag your acct that an engagement is being celebrated, then yes, at least once at one of the dinner reservations, they will bring either one of the small, square cakes that are made & frozen and unthawed whwn needed. The cake is brought to the table after dinner, or restaurant staff bring some other kind of special sweet treat after dinner. Surely someone who has celebrated an engagement at WDW will be along and verify that the couple gets special treatment. I'm not sure why you think it's impossible that staff unthaw and bring a cheap ___ cake to your table, yes, for free. They will also occasionally do so for those celebrating other occasions too. The cake I'd ordered to be in room on arrival was bigger, made fresh day of arrival, not previously frozen, and delivered to room, which anyone can order. Obv that cake wouldn't have been free and I knew how much it'd cost when I ordered it.

You believe stolen drugs but think I'd lie abt some cheap cake they give away left and right for celebrations? Lol ok.

MediocreAtBest

To clarify, the cake description below is what I ordered and had expected but didn't receive. The cake they replaced it with was the same small, square freebies and still partially frozen when the woman brought it to our room. That's how I know cakes are made in advance, then frozen, for use at restaurants to serve. If you've ordered a slice of cake after dinner, that's likely the cake you were served. And they're are, without doubt, delicious.

From my prior post:
"The cake I'd ordered to be in room on arrival was bigger, made fresh day of arrival, not previously frozen, and delivered to room, which anyone can order. Obv that cake wouldn't have been free and I knew how much it'd cost when I ordered it."

Chi84

Premium Member
They tag your acct that an engagement is being celebrated, then yes, at least once at one of the dinner reservations, they will bring either one of the small, square cakes that are made & frozen and unthawed whwn needed. The cake is brought to the table after dinner, or restaurant staff bring some other kind of special sweet treat after dinner. Surely someone who has celebrated an engagement at WDW will be along and verify that the couple gets special treatment. I'm not sure why you think it's impossible that staff unthaw and bring a cheap ___ cake to your table, yes, for free. They will also occasionally do so for those celebrating other occasions too. The cake I'd ordered to be in room on arrival was bigger, made fresh day of arrival, not previously frozen, and delivered to room, which anyone can order. Obv that cake wouldn't have been free and I knew how much it'd cost when I ordered it.

You believe stolen drugs but think I'd lie abt some cheap cake they give away left and right for celebrations? Lol ok.
Good heavens no. I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that I believed any part of that post. I was just pointing out that it says something telling about Disney that the least believable part of it was Disney offering a free cake!

Last edited:

MediocreAtBest

I wrote enough in my post to identify the male supervisor/manager who worked daylight shift frequently on Christmas week, 2010. It wasn't a jolly review I gave him. If he were to read what I wrote and it *wasn't* true, he could take me to civil court for defamation of character (libel), alleging I damaged his work rep & possibility of future higher earnings. But guess what? He has no case bc what I wrote is true and could be sworn to by not just me in any civil proceedings AND now having read numerous other posts on separate topic, I know Disney does, in fact, keep records of past guests' who stay at their resorts, a practice which they continue to do to this day.

Do you think I'd know it was a male security working daylight the day my medication was stolen and could be easily and quickly proven by Disney employment records and surely an employee was fired for theft (as security said anyone who entered our room during time of theft could be identified bc every time any employee uses their electronic key to unlock any door on WDW property, the data is saved on computer software which security can look at and identify every door every employee unlocks). Chances are high the housekeeper in my room that day was shown to be the only person to enter my room that day. She would have been required to have a drug test and absolutely would have been fired if positive. How would I know of this process and that security had the ability to identify employees who had entered our room? How would I know security advises guests who are victims of crime on Disney property that they have a right to call Orange County sheriff's office to report the crime to them, as well? How would I know the male supervisor has a master metal key that unlocks every guest room in 2010 and *did not* use electronic key card, as security (surely unintentionally) had told every employee uses to enter guest rooms? How would I know this very specific response security would take in 2010 when guests reported drug thefts at AKL? And guess what? Security would also offer to fax a copy of their report to doctor's offices to verify a report was filed with WDW security that medication was stolen medication.

This info is specific and detailed enough that it could be proven. I'm not debating this any further with you - just by my knowing the security response to drug theft and that supervisors used one physical key to unlock to any and every guest room at AKL in 2010. I have now given enough specific detail to prove what I wrote was true. Only witless trolls would now continue claiming I'm lying.

I'll no longer reply to personal attacks or silly drivel debating what happened to my family that week, but would gladly answer specific questions.

Good heavens no. I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that I believed any part of that post. I was just pointing out that it says something that the least believable part of it was Disney offering a free cake!

Let me clue you in here: I've identified by at least gender, the supervisor what I've

jaklgreen

So you never got the $50+ dollar cake that you specialty ordered? Did they refund your money? And why do you keep saying UNthawed? (I apologize if English is not your first language, it is just thawed) I don't think it is customary for them to give someone a whole cake just because they get engaged. There are so many engagements at WDW that they would be handing them out left and right. Maybe a small cupcake. If you get a free cake for getting engaged, we should tell them that we just got engaged every trip. :p:p

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Naw. I believe the stolen drugs. What I don't believe is that the desk checked you in without leaving some sort of paper trail on where they put you.

jaklgreen

"The cake I'd ordered to be in room on arrival was bigger, made fresh day of arrival, not previously frozen

If you only knew........

I can say for certain that they always freeze cakes. No one will decorate a freshly baked cake. I worked at a decorator for years and the cakes where never baked and iced the same day. Cakes freeze so well that most people truly believe that they were made that day, like the OP posted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom