Worst Disney World hotel experience thread

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I want to say about 6-7 years go Disney outsourced all Bell services, they are not Disney Cast anymore, unless there is something new I don't know Bell services in the past were always super helpful and available but I have noticed on our trips since it's been outsourced they just don't care.
Strange, as all of the Bell Services people we have seen are all Disney CMs with a Disney name tag.

aliceismad

Using this logic it wouldn't be part of a stay at at Disney resort to provide bus or other transportation to the parks, or games at the pool, or resort luggage check in, or package delivery including groceries from outside vendors, but they do. Suppose I arrived at the resort with a suitcase and a case of water. Am I then expected to hump it to my room because I have a case of water?
~NM
Disney advertises all of those things as part of their resort. I suppose it's none of their business what bags you have, so they should take care of your groceries. But when they deliver my luggage, they usually do it when it's convenient for them as part of their regular rounds or however they do things, not right away. I don't know. I was just curious as to whether that's a standard thing or not because it had never occurred to me before.

Last edited:

Ninja Mom

Disney advertises all of those things as part of their resort. I suppose it's none of their business what bags you have, so they should take care of your groceries. But when they deliver my luggage, they usually do it when it's convenient for them as part of their regular rounds or however they do things, not right away. I don't know. I was just curious as to whether that's a standard thing or not because it have never occurred to me before.

I'm sure if you let Disney know that you had a special need, say groceries that needed to be delivered to your room ASAP BECAUSE Bell services said that they had no room in their refrigerator for the groceries that needed to be refrigerated, that it would be reasonable for Bell services to help you out so that your groceries didn't spoil.

The groceries that needed cold storage were packed in two plastic Walmart bags, separately from the rest of the items that did not need refrigeration. In my original post I requested that these items be placed in cold storage if I had to wait and I was told there was no room in the fridge. Link: (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-experience-thread.951566/page-6#post-8532153)

I agree with you that it's reasonable to expect that to wait... a reasonable amount of time. However when the alternative is that your lunch meat spoils after sitting outside on a very hot day in Florida for over an hour (probably longer after witnessing these kids not doing their jobs) then it's entirely reasonable that I request a more timely delivery by bell services to my room.

I would bet all my Disney Dollars that the GM of the resort would agree with me as well. The hotel staff is supposed to provide assistance to the guests. Under all of the circumstances described in my original post, I had a reasonable expectation that I would receive the assistance that I required, especially since Disney said they could not put my two bags in their fridges.

~NM

bpadair32

I fail to understand the logic that because I had a large order and I was personally asking for assistance, THAT was an over the top expectation, but if I contracted with an outside grocery delivery provider THEN it would be ok for Disney to help with the delivery of groceries to my room.
I don't think it is a standard expectation at most resorts that you are going to go to a grocery store and then expect bell services to lug the stuff around. I really don't.

Should the little kids or the 76 year old Grand Pop in my traveling party be expected to carry groceries to rooms that were located far from the main building? How about the cases of water?
No, but they could carry some lighter options. When we go to Vero Beach we go to the grocery store and all 5 of us including the 3 year old carry something.
Why not my groceries?
Bell services are there to assist with luggage. Groceries are not luggage. I see no problem with asking them to help, but I do not see where people think that they are entitled to have bell services bring a golf cart to help you get your obviously large grocery order to your room. That just seems a little over the top to me.

Minthorne

Checked into All Star Movies this past December for the arrival night before moving to the Dolphin. Arrived on DME and had bags delivered to the room. When we arrived the room wasn't ready so we checked out carry on bag with bell services. When we received the room ready text we were very please to find all our DME bags and bags checked at bell services already in the room. HOWEVER, there was also 1 extra bag that did not belong to us. We called Bell Services and the came and got the bag. The about 5 minutes later 2 other CM came to the room looking for the bag.

No this wasn't a really bad experience for us. We didn't fold, spindle or mutilate the bag that didn't belong to us, but I felt a little creeped that it could have been our bags that were left in a different room for someone else to rummage through.

Ninja Mom

I don't think it is a standard expectation at most resorts that you are going to go to a grocery store and then expect bell services to lug the stuff around. I really don't.

No, but they could carry some lighter options. When we go to Vero Beach we go to the grocery store and all 5 of us including the 3 year old carry something.

Bell services are there to assist with luggage. Groceries are not luggage. I see no problem with asking them to help, but I do not see where people think that they are entitled to have bell services bring a golf cart to help you get your obviously large grocery order to your room. That just seems a little over the top to me.

But Bell Services Does in fact assist with grocery delivery to the room.
We shall agree to disagree.

People__

IF YOU NEED SOMETHING THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR TRIP, BRING IT IN YOUR CARRY ON BAGS!!!

That should be a Travel Law or something. The airlines might lose your bags, and then what? I understand not wanting to haul a bunch of stuff around, but half of these horror stories wouldn't exist if people had just packed their carry on bags properly.

But suppose you have a special needs person that needs food items that must be kept refrigerated, and that you can't transport them in your luggage. You may be blessed with simpler needs but for some of us life is not that easy.

I have not had success with Garden Grocer and the like securing these needed items within the time frame that we will know what is needed and when it will be needed.

It's simple. I needed Bell service's help transporting groceries to my room, which they were not able to do in a timely manner and were not able to store perishables in the fridge. Of course they should help me.

~NM

Kamikaze

But suppose you have a special needs person that needs food items that must be kept refrigerated, and that you can't transport them in your luggage. You may be blessed with simpler needs but for some of us life is not that easy.

Are you saying you bag check a cooler? You know you can bring a medical cooler through security as long as you declare it as such, right? And it doesn't even count as a carry on.

Ninja Mom

While we did not consider this option, at the time of this experience the rules from TSA were tighter. Your scenario may not have been possible during the dates of this trip. Besides, it was easier just to go to Walmart and get all the items that were needed above the ones that we could take in advance.

~NM

aliceismad

I see no problem with asking them to help, but I do not see where people think that they are entitled to have bell services bring a golf cart to help you get your obviously large grocery order to your room. That just seems a little over the top to me.
I guess this is what bugged me. I would never expect bell services to transport me or whatever baggage immediately, unless I arranged for it ahead of time with the concierge or guest services (or disability services if there is a medical need).

Kamikaze

While we did not consider this option, at the time of this experience the rules from TSA were tighter. Your scenario may not have been possible during the dates of this trip. Besides, it was easier just to go to Walmart and get all the items that were needed above the ones that we could take in advance.

~NM

No, its been possible since day 1 of the TSA. And even when they tighten food rules, medical exemptions are still exemptions.

I'm also not understanding now how this is Disney's fault. Are you saying that you didn't bring the food that 'required' refrigeration, but instead went to Walmart and purchased them before your room was ready, and its Disney's fault that you did that?

Last edited:

Ninja Mom

I guess this is what bugged me. I would never expect bell services to transport me or whatever baggage immediately, unless I arranged for it ahead of time with the concierge or guest services (or disability services if there is a medical need).

During previous trips with the same traveling party, we did not have any problems getting assistance with our groceries from bell services. Therefore we did not think, nor could we have anticipated the need for a special request for assistance that was in fact regularly provided by bell services.

No, its been possible since day 1 of the TSA. And even when they tighten food rules, medical exemptions are still exemptions.

I'm also not understanding now how this is Disney's fault. Are you saying that you didn't bring the food that 'required' refrigeration, but instead went to Walmart and purchased them before your room was ready, and its Disney's fault that you did that?

No not at all, this has nothing to do with it being Disney's fault. I'm not understanding why you are thinking that. Re-read post 86. This is about the kids working the Bell Services station not assisting guests who need help transporting groceries to their room at the resort.

There have been thoughts that it's not Bell Services job to help guests with groceries but it's okay for them to deliver groceries to rooms if the guest used an outside grocery vendor. That makes no sense to me.

The bottom line is I needed assistance from Bell Services and they were goofing off. Re-read post 86.

I'd like to point out that I have consistently been able to have Bell Services assist me with transport of groceries to my room during stays previous to this, and after this stay, at Riverside. Some posters are expressing views that it's not Bell Services job to assist guests with groceries. Based on my actual, successful experiences getting assistance with grocery transport, it is not an issue that they do this. The issue was CM's that were socializing and not assisting guests when they should have been.

People will argue that they think that Bell services should not have to do that. Other people will think it is there job. I'm just relating my experiences about a troublesome interaction at Riverside. As is the nature of posting on these board, it's become a debate about whether or not Bell service should have helped a guest with groceries. I feel it's ridiculous that there is a thought that Bell Services should not have to help me transport items, whether they be groceries or whatever a guest needs for their stay to their room.

So there you have it.

~NM

Last edited:

Kamikaze

No not at all, this has nothing to do with it being Disney's fault. I'm not understanding why you are thinking that. Re-read post 86. This is about the kids working the Bell Services station not assisting guests who need help transporting groceries to their room at the resort.

There have been thoughts that it's not Bell Services job to help guests with groceries but it's okay for them to deliver groceries to rooms if the guest used an outside grocery vendor. That makes no sense to me.

The bottom line is I needed assistance from Bell Services and they were goofing off. Re-read post 86.

I'd like to point out that I have consistently been able to have Bell Services assist me with transport of groceries to my room during stays previous to this, and after this stay, at Riverside. Some posters are expressing views that it's not Bell Services job to assist guests with groceries. Based on my actual, successful experiences getting assistance with grocery transport, it is not an issue that they do this. The issue was CM's that were socializing and not assisting guests when they should have been.

People will argue that they think that Bell services should not have to do that. Other people will think it is there job. I'm just relating my experiences about a troublesome interaction at Riverside. As is the nature of posting on these board, it's become a debate about whether or not Bell service should have helped a guest with groceries. I feel it's ridiculous that there is a thought that Bell Services should not have to help me transport items, whether they be groceries or whatever a guest needs for their stay to their room.

So there you have it.

~NM

They don't have to help you transport items, but it is their job.
However - it isn't their job to do so right at that moment. Meaning they can certainly 'goof off' or do whatever the else they need/want to do while your groceries/luggage/matching shirts with a terrible pun/whatever can sit and wait. Now, if you explained the situation - 'These are perishable items for medical reasons and I need them brought up ASAP', I can't imagine a single CM that wouldn't find someone to do it. But you didn't do that, did you?

Also, I didn't read your original post nor was that what I was commenting on. I was only replying to the part where you were talking about bringing food/necessities through TSA.

Ninja Mom

However - it isn't their job to do so right at that moment. Meaning they can certainly 'goof off' or do whatever the else they need/want to do while your groceries/luggage/matching shirts with a terrible pun/whatever can sit and wait. Now, if you explained the situation - 'These are perishable items for medical reasons and I need them brought up ASAP', I can't imagine a single CM that wouldn't find someone to do it. But you didn't do that, did you?

Also, I didn't read your original post nor was that what I was commenting on. I was only replying to the part where you were talking about bringing food/necessities through TSA.
There is no need to argue with me. I am merely relating my experience. Your mileage may vary. Good luck with your Disney trips.

~NM

daisyduckie

So right. I've used bell services many times to bring groceries to my room. But they do it at their convenience. If there was a medical need for something they have then I would expect to tell them so to expedite things.

daisyduckie

Genuinely curious here. Is it a CM's job to help someone get groceries to their room? I guess yes if you consider groceries "luggage"? I dunno. Maybe it's just me. On one hand, I would expect Disney to help with such a thing if they can because that's what I've encountered with CMs, but on the other hand, I personally would never have expected them to help with my groceries or have asked them to. Especially if it was 3 families' worth of stuff. I would expect those families to be helping. But I've never gotten groceries at WDW so maybe I'm just unfamiliar with how that works? ETA: This does not mean I don't agree that the CMs were being rude or unhelpful. I'm just genuinely curious as to whether this is a common service at WDW.

I don't think it is common. Bringing up groceries that a service delivered to the resort and they were already holding for you? Sure. Going out and getting a large order of anything, I don't think so. In my stays Bell Services has never been the type of service where you walk up and demand they help you then and there. They seem to help in the order of request. That is, if 10 people prior to you need their service, then they will get it first. You are put into a virtual queue. At least to me that seems how it has always worked.

ninjaprincesst

This is a myth that other companies don’t give great customer service. Usually have had BETTER customer service at non Disney hotels.
Recently stayed at Hyatt house across from Universal week of Christmas. Short story version: minor mess up with room category, fixed the next day, manager was able to add an extra day we wanted (remember extremely busy week ), and discounted the stay. Total stay ended up being same price for 4 days plus we had drinks at the bar two separate nights charged to room, as the original 3 night stay. Plus no peeling wallpaper, outdated outlets falling out of wall, dust in corners of room- all of which we’ve experienced at Disney resorts. In 2015 stayed pre Reno beach club room where wall paper was literally coming in strips off wall, carpet worn and frayed. Same trip stayed in Royal Pacific pre Reno room that was in perfect condition (in fact we wondered why the resort was due for Reno as it wasn’t in great shape!)

But the worst at Disney resorts is the luggage delivery- if you arrive after 5 pm forget getting luggage before midnight🙄🙄🙄. Oh and no call to tell you that BS has the bags but they stop delivering at midnight if they get behind- and the condescending attitude when you show up asking YET AGAIN where bags are

That is odd becuse almost everytime our bags are at our room by the time we are, and the only time we had any issue was when one of our bags was missing, I called about it , the called back n more than a minute later and told us Southwest had put the bag on a different flight it had now arrived at MCO and was on it's way to us. We alway s fly in in the morning, maybe that is the defference?

ninjaprincesst

Using this logic it wouldn't be part of a stay at at Disney resort to provide bus or other transportation to the parks, or games at the pool, or resort luggage check in, or package delivery including groceries from outside vendors, but they do. Suppose I arrived at the resort with a suitcase and a case of water. Am I then expected to hump it to my room because I have a case of water?

It's not the size of my grocery order or the fact that it was even a grocery order. It's that bell services is expected to help guests. I presented a reasonable request to transport items to my room and I was being ignored because the kids that were working the bell services desk were socializing and not paying attention.

I fail to understand the logic that because I had a large order and I was personally asking for assistance, THAT was an over the top expectation, but if I contracted with an outside grocery delivery provider THEN it would be ok for Disney to help with the delivery of groceries to my room.

Should the little kids or the 76 year old Grand Pop in my traveling party be expected to carry groceries to rooms that were located far from the main building? How about the cases of water? No.... I'm thinking that it was totally reasonable to request assistance from Bell services and if they were getting slammed with requests I would have to have waited. What I saw was that they were not busy and there was a lot of socializing, including from the cart drivers who were driving up and then departing for their next scheduled run after hanging out socializing for awhile. I was standing right there. I could hear the conversations.

If I had had a car then it would not have been a problem, but I took the magical express to the resort and a cab to the store. I really can't understand the "logic" you are using to think that bell service doesn't have to help their guests with items that need to be transported to their room. They transported me and my suitcases to my room. Why not my groceries?

~NM
It seems to me groceries , if assistance was needed should have been prearranged. You know they have a legal right to take a break and there is nothing that says they need to be at beck and call because someone chose to go grocery shopping on vacation. Personally I am on vacation, I cook the other 51 weeks of the year there is not enough money to pay me to buy groceries and cook on vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom