Worried about the construction for the 50th anniversary

Framboesa

Hello! This week we decided that during the spring of 2021 I will realize my lifetime (+40 years) dream: visiting WDW.
Just started to do some research and figured out that because of the WDW 50 th anniversary (October 2021) probably there will be lots of construction during the time we are planning to be there. This will be our unique opportunity to visit WDW (we travel from Portugal and we are saving money), so, after waiting 40 years for this moment it would be a big disappointment if there were lots of closures and lots of refurbishment going on (specially the Cindy's castle).
What is your opinion? Should i wait until 2022?
Is there any place where i can check what things will be closed?
Thank you!

jaklgreen

I have been going for 25+ years. There is always something under refurbishment and closed. They are trying to get everything done at MK for the anniversary. Like Queen said, Epcot will take longer. Go and enjoy what they have because even if everything is supposed to be open, unexpected closures of rides happen all the time. I was there a week ago and on one day, the walls at Epcot in Future world were in one location, over night the Electric Umbrella restaurant closed and they moved the walls around.

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

I also remember reading somewhere that a Disney Spokesperson said that the castle would not be covered/closed while they update the colors for the 50th gold refurbishment so you should be good to see Cinderella Castle!

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I also remember reading somewhere that a Disney Spokesperson said that the castle would not be covered/closed while they update the colors for the 50th gold refurbishment so you should be good to see Cinderella Castle!
I believe the castle is supposed to be completely painted by the end of this summer so no worries about next spring.

Upvote 0

Framboesa

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your answers! Considering that this will be my only chance o visit WDW we want to make the most of it :) I will figure out what is really important for me to see!

Upvote 0

Eamethyst

Hello! This week we decided that during the spring of 2021 I will realize my lifetime (+40 years) dream: visiting WDW.
Just started to do some research and figured out that because of the WDW 50 th anniversary (October 2021) probably there will be lots of construction during the time we are planning to be there. This will be our unique opportunity to visit WDW (we travel from Portugal and we are saving money), so, after waiting 40 years for this moment it would be a big disappointment if there were lots of closures and lots of refurbishment going on (specially the Cindy's castle).
What is your opinion? Should i wait until 2022?
Is there any place where i can check what things will be closed?
Thank you!
It's totally up to you but if it was me I would wait until 2022. I say this because everything will not be open until 2023. Spaceship East is located at Epcot. It closes on May 26 2020 and will reopen late 2022 or early 2023. Epcot will still have renovations going on in 2020, 2021, 2022. Magic kingdom, Hollywood studios have new rides, attractions coming. You never know if a ride will take longer to open. The Disney website shows closed rides. I'm not sure where on the site it is.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

It's totally up to you but if it was me I would wait until 2022. I say this because everything will not be open until 2023. Spaceship East is located at Epcot. It closes on May 26 2020 and will reopen late 2022 or early 2023. Epcot will still have renovations going on in 2020, 2021, 2022. Magic kingdom, Hollywood studios have new rides, attractions coming. You never know if a ride will take longer to open. The Disney website shows closed rides. I'm not sure where on the site it is.

But then there is a chance that another big ride is shut down for refurb. The parks are in a constant state of upkeep and change. I don't think that I have ever been there where every single thing was open.

Upvote 0

Eamethyst

But then there is a chance that another big ride is shut down for refurb. The parks are in a constant state of upkeep and change. I don't think that I have ever been there where every single thing was open.
Thats true. This isn't just one ride. It's Epcot that under construction. MK, Epcot, HS( formally known as MGM), Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, AK. Out of all of those parks Epcot was like the forgotten child. It was last for everything except for opening. Rides, attractions come and go but Epcot was suppose to be about the future, history, learning. Mk was for kids, rides, etc. HS was entertainment, movies, Ak that's just obvious animals, etc. People spend so much money to come down here to Florida and enjoy themselves at all of the parks. A family isn't going travel across the country and spend their entire trip at one park. They want to go to all of the parks. it's sorta a disappointment that you travel so far and one of the parks is under huge construction. I'm not complaining that Disney is renovating. I think it's a very good thing to do and its been a long time coming. If I was coming from another country or even another state I would wait until Epcot wasn't under construction. I would want to see everything at every park. I know that's my opinion. Not everyone shares the same opinion or will agree with me. I can remember a time 20 years ago or longer when a ride or attraction wasn't closed to do to refurb or renovating.

Of what I've seen with Disney over all of the years. Disney hasn't done this big of a renovation ever on a park at one time. I'm not talking about just building a new ride, or land. Disney is working hard to update things that should of been years ago. It's every couple of years that Disney adds a new ride. its every year they refurbish a ride, attraction or close something down for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Framboesa

Original Poster
A family isn't going travel across the country and spend their entire trip at one park. They want to go to all of the parks. it's sorta a disappointment that you travel so far and one of the parks is under huge construction.

Yes, we will travel from Lisbon, Portugal, it will take us one entire day and expensive flights to arrive to Orlando. That's precisely my point, how massive will it be... :)

Upvote 0

Rob562

Of what I've seen with Disney over all of the years. Disney hasn't done this big of a renovation ever on a park at one time. I'm not talking about just building a new ride, or land. Disney is working hard to update things that should of been years ago. It's every couple of years that Disney adds a new ride. its every year they refurbish a ride, attraction or close something down for whatever reason.

You should read up on the history of California Adventure. Epcot's central spine renovation doesn't hold a candle to it at its worst.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom