Worried about the cold

Noodlebum

Hi, I'm going to Disney World next Thursday for 9 days and looking at the weather forecast, it looks pretty cold at times (sunny but highs of 17 celcius, lows of 5?). Has anyone been there recently and have any advice on what to pack - do I actually need a coat for the mornings/evenings? I've only ever been to Disney in October when it was ultra hot and humid so not sure what to expect now, and whether I should be packing more jeans/coats. Obviously I don't want to be stuck carrying those around if it's not that bad/heats up during the day.

I'm from the UK if that helps put anything into perspective cold-wise.... it's around 6-13 degrees and cloudy/rainy at the moment, and I wouldn't be going anywhere without my warm coat and boots.

Any advice for those who have been there very recently/in those temperatures would be handy. Thank you :)

John park hopper

Here in the colonies we use Fahrenheit so it's much warmer (joking) Average temps for Feb low to mid 70's during the day low 60's at night. I would pack a sweater and some jeans. Copied from Accuweather

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
1/26
69°
47°
Hist. Avg.
71°/50°
1/27
73°
56°
Hist. Avg.
71°/50°
1/28
70°
51°
Hist. Avg.
71°/51°
1/29
73°
48°
Hist. Avg.
72°/51°
1/30
72°
54°
Hist. Avg.
72°/51°
1/31
75°
59°
Hist. Avg.
72°/51°
64°
54°
Hist. Avg.
72°/51°
64°
47°
Hist. Avg.
72°/51°
74°
45°
Hist. Avg.
72°/52°
76°
51°
Hist. Avg.
72°/52°
81°
57°
Hist. Avg.
72°/52°
87°
69°
Hist. Avg.
72°/52°
79°
51°
Hist. Avg.
72°/52°
72°
47°
Hist. Avg.
72°/52°

Upvote 0

Noodlebum

Original Poster
Thanks John, I have packed a couple of sweaters, leggings and a denim jacket in terms of warm clothes, and am going to wear jeans on the flight over, so maybe I'll pack another pair of non-bulky jeans :) just worried I'll need a scarf and gloves for the early mornings and fireworks, which seems insane considering how hot I was all hours in October!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've spent whole days in a winter coat in WDW in February. It can get quite chilly. I've also done a full trip in February where shorts and short sleeves were comfortable all day.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Right now in Central Florida, at 10AM it’s 59F. That is cold. But by mid day it will be perfect. The temperature in Central Florida in the “winter” is erratic, some days cold, some days hot. I like to joke, in Central Florida winter lasts two weeks, NOT IN A ROW 😀

Be sure to bring at least one pair of jeans and a hoodie for the cold mornings and nights so you are not forced to buy a hoodie for $65 at the parks.

Yes, winter in Central Florida can have some cold mornings and evenings but it’s by far THE BEST time to visit the parks! The air is crisp and clean and there are none of those days where the air is so hot and humid it hits you when you step out of the door like walking through hot soup.

Upvote 0

Noodlebum

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I feel a bit better and will hope the hoodie/denim jacket combo would be fine for the early mornings/late evenings. It looks set to warm up again the second half of the holiday which will be nice, as much as I am looking forward to not melting in queues this time around :)

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If the temps seem chilly for you then you should pack accordingly.

With those temps I'd probably pack mostly pants, a couple zip up hoodies, and maybe a packable down puffer coat because with the humidity added in the lows can feel much colder.
And this recommendation is coming from someone that lives in the Buffalo NY area and walks 2 miles outside every day year round so I know what cold is lol.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

OP, I am in the same boat. We are arriving next Tuesday through the first week of March. I just checked the weather forecast, and it is cooler than usual - highs in the low to mid 60's and maybe mid 40's at night for a couple of nights. So, I adjusted my packing. I am wearing jeans down there with layers of clothing. I come from a very cold climate, so I have plenty of those:) I am taking more long sleeved t-shirts and less short sleeves. I wear capris so that will be okay. I have been in Florida when it was colder, and borrowed my husbands sweaters to try and stay warm. Now, I have learned my lesson, and will pack my own sweaters, sweatshirts, and my Disney hoodie. I am just glad to be where they are flowers, green grass (no snow), and warmth in the middle of the day.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Disneys had some closures of the water parks which is a good indication of how chilly its been on some days. We always prepare just in case anyway so we are not caught off guard like we were one time. That trip forced us to go into the gift shops and buy high priced sweatshirts that we would have normally avoided.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Disneys had some closures of the water parks which is a good indication of how chilly its been on some days. We always prepare just in case anyway so we are not caught off guard like we were one time. That trip forced us to go into the gift shops and buy high priced sweatshirts that we would have normally avoided.
Been there, done that. Those so called sweatshirts are not warm enough for cold weather. I tried to find one that would keep me warm, but ended up wearing my husbands extra sweaters, LOL! I guess they are "sweatshirts" for warm weather.

Upvote 0

Noodlebum

Original Poster
I've got a big scarf which is warm without being too bulky and which is wide so can wear as a sort-of shawl as well, which I'm hoping may come useful to have in my bag :) I'll have to report back on how it all went! Thanks again for all your comments it's been really useful

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
To be honest I would rather have 60 degrees and low humidity rather than the 95 degrees and high humidity we experienced the first part of May last year. The heat just sucks the life out of me
Haha I'm the opposite. I rather sweat it out in August and then walk into an air conditioned attraction, restaurant, or shop until I cool off then go back out. Rinse and repeat.
If its gonna be chilly I at least need to be very prepared for it by wearing pants and a coat and even then I still end up cold and it makes my trip not as enjoyable.
I'm going in August and likely November so in November I'm bringing my winter coat.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
You are from Niagara NY I was stationed in Rome NY (years ago) to the east of you-- the winters were brutal. How do you survive the winters?

LOL.
Last year we kept warm on those -35*F wind chill days by doing a lot of shoveling.
This year winter really hasn't even come yet and probably will just skip us altogether God willing.
Knock on wood I've only had to do some hardcore shoveling like 5 times.
Temps have been in the 30's much of the time and lake Erie is only 2.8% iced and that's on the west end so nowhere near us.
As long as we don't have a major lake effect from the wide open waters we'll get off easy.

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

Also keep in mind that for the most part you will be in the blazing sun so it should feel pretty cozy during the day even if the weather shows the temperature as cold, and then chilly at night.

This weekend was pretty cold in Orlando, when I looked at the weather it said high of 60 and low of 50. I got scared and layered up. I then spent all day feeling really warm due to the sun and regretted the sweater, but it was perfect at night.

As others have said, pack a sweater for the nights but make sure that you are layered and able to take the sweater off during the day.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

It's all about packable layers. Mornings and late nights may be brisk, but having long pants and a jacket on mid day will be uncomfortable. Thin jackets or long sleeves that you can shove in a backpack usually work well for us.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Plan on bringing a coat or sweatshirt every day, maybe something a bit thicker at night. Pools are still doable as they are heated but prepare for it to be cold when you are out of the water.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom