World Showcase Hotels?

_caleb

Original Poster
Has Disney ever considered building hotels themed to countries as part of the pavilions in World Showcase? Does anyone know anything about this?

_caleb

Original Poster
Think about the logistics around what you are asking.
In what sense?

I know someone who owns hotels in a country that has always been rumored to be "Coming soon!" to World Showcase who claims this was part of initial conversations about their country's pavilion. I have no idea how it would work, I'm just curious if that's ever been actually considered.

_caleb

Original Poster
Actually wouldn’t be too hard if they really wanted to do it, depending on which pavilion it is. The back of Canada or Italy probably be the easiest to build a road/entrance to a road outside of the park. I guess it would depend if they wanted a traditional hotel or a super boutique/limited hotel.
Yeah. I would imagine it would have to be the boutique/limited sort of thing. I suppose hotels could be built in unused pavilion lots.

Anyway, I think the Westcot concept may actually be what the person I heard from was referring to.

castlecake2.0

Yeah. I would imagine it would have to be the boutique/limited sort of thing. I suppose hotels could be built in unused pavilion lots.

Anyway, I think the Westcot concept may actually be what the person I heard from was referring to.
Im daydreaming up ideas about this now during my conference call lol. Too bad the hotel in Canada wasn’t bigger, it could only fit 1 room in it realistically. I’m picturing the other side of the street could be made to look like old québec houses and house the hotel in there, building it above the loading dock below...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I want to say that Tony Baxter had proposed a Westcot where California Adventures currently sits. That plan had multiple hotels within its World Showcase where people could dine and stay at a country's hotel, all within the park. Of course Eisner thought that was to expensive and cheaped out on the original California Adventures.

TrainsOfDisney

I want to say that Tony Baxter had proposed a Westcot where California Adventures currently sits. That plan had multiple hotels within its World Showcase where people could dine and stay at a country's hotel, all within the park. Of course Eisner thought that was to expensive and cheaped out on the original California Adventures.
Westcot was more than a proposal, it was announced by the company in 1991.
If only...

_caleb

Original Poster
Wow! This is all very informative! I actually asked the question thinking everyone would scoff and I could reach out to the person I mentioned and tell them they were mistaken about hotels in World Showcase. But it sounds like his claims could be valid!

It seems like a really neat idea, and I'm with @TrainChasers in feeling sad Westcot was never built. I remember when Disney announced it, and for years our (DL-frequenting) family would talk about "when we get our own EPCOT Center..."

For some reason, I never knew about hotels being part of the idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom