World of Disney Store Redesign Coming

dweezil78

Original Poster
Didn't see this posted here yet -- looks like World of Disney is being redone this year w/ other changes like Disney Home opening in the former D-Street space.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...eyland-and-walt-disney-world-resorts-in-2018/

I hope the re-do isn't like the bland/generic new Disney Stores popping up at malls that is trying to be Apple Store-like but instead just feels lame and uninspired (and very un-Disney).

mickEblu

Didn't see this posted here yet -- looks like World of Disney is being redone this year w/ other changes like Disney Home opening in the former D-Street space.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...eyland-and-walt-disney-world-resorts-in-2018/

I hope the re-do isn't like the bland/generic new Disney Stores popping up at malls that is trying to be Apple Store-like but instead just feels lame and uninspired (and very un-Disney).

I think the inside of the World of Disney store already has that generic feel you re talking about. It sounds like they re trying to improve the design and make it feel more Disney. I remember in the early to mid 90s when the Disney stores were special and felt more like a Disneyana store at the mall. They carried collectables, books and a variety of merchandise. Not to mention All of the moving figures along the walls and ceilings. Not sure at what at what point they came the bland stores of today.

dweezil78

Original Poster
I think the inside of the World of Disney store already has that generic feel you re talking about. It sounds like they re trying to improve the design and make it feel more Disney. I remember in the early to mid 90s when the Disney stores were special and felt more like a Disneyana store at the mall. They carried collectables, books and a variety of merchandise. Not to mention All of the moving figures along the walls and ceilings. Not sure at what at what point they came the bland stores of today.

Yeah! The original Disney stores w/ moving characters and all the collectible stuff were the best. It always felt like you had a little slice of the park in your hometown with those. Over the years they just got lamer and lamer w/ more generic merch and now this latest design they're rolling out is, IMO, the worst iteration yet. (See below).

Disney-store-X3.jpg

TwilightZone

Yeah! The original Disney stores w/ moving characters and all the collectible stuff were the best. It always felt like you had a little slice of the park in your hometown with those. Over the years they just got lamer and lamer w/ more generic merch and now this latest design they're rolling out is, IMO, the worst iteration yet. (See below).

View attachment 255629
as someone who grew up with the san-fran disney store, this is the saddest thing ever. Looks like the disney aisle in a jc-penny, not the disney store.

View attachment 255629
this image is to be the NEW look of World of Disney? Or is this a disney store?

mickEblu

View attachment 255629

What the heck is that? It looks like an old outdated department store.

Curious Constance

View attachment 255629
Disney has no idea who they are anymore because they're trying to be all things to all people. Disney fans are NOT going to be attracted to this design. Kids or adults. DUMB.

D

Deleted member 107043

I agree with what everyone is saying, but since there's nothing in those stores I'm interested in buying I don't care too much about their design.

TP2000

View attachment 255629

Holy crap, is that what Disney Stores look like now? No wonder Disney's consumer products division is struggling so much now, as malls in general die a quickening death. What the heck would be the point of going to visit a sterile environment like that instead of just staying home and shopping online?

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Disney stores used to be really fun and had stuff you couldn't find at any other store. Now they look just like Target or JC Penney, so no longer fun, and they have the same stuff you can buy anywhere else, and they charge way more than JC Penney or Target. So why go to the Disney store anymore? They used to be a little Disney fix for my family who lives hundreds of miles from the parks. We'd always make it a point to visit the store when we went to Portland. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to visit that newly designed store.

Phroobar

Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland has been compared to a Disney store with it's minimum movement AA figures. Now that Disney Stores don't have even this does that mean rides will follow suit?

Pressler may have been a complete screw up and over his head running DLR but at least his Disney stores looked nice. Now he's a corporate pirate.

D

Deleted member 107043

According to The NY Times the beta design for the new Disney Store design was rolled out last summer at Northridge Fashion Center. The success of that revamp will be the basis for the new look being rolled out across the chain, as others here have said.

“We really want to learn as we go, especially through the holidays, so we’re going to roll the new look out slowly,” Paul Gainer, executive vice president for Disney Stores Worldwide, said in an interview on Monday. “So far, we’re really thrilled with the results.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...y-stores.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom