World of Disney Grand Opening

nicholas

Original Poster
I will be visiting the new World of Disney store in NYC in a couple hours. Today is the grand opening, so there might be a lot going on. I wasn't able to get there for Cindy arriving on her coach or Miss Romano making an appearance due to my work schedule. And I'll only get about 15 minutes to look around since it will be over my lunch break, but if anyone has anything they want me to see if I can find, let me know. Sadly, forgot my camera this morning, otherwise I would take pics too.

nicholas

Original Poster
Just got back from the World of Disney on the Grand Opening day. It was pretty crowded. A lot going on. Very clean and bright, which is to be expected considering how new it is.

As far as merchandise, it was pretty much exactly the same as the one in DTD.

Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto were there doing meet and greets, and upstairs there was a Cinderella event going on. Can't remember the name of it though. Basically it's a class where little girls learn (from Lady Serafina - who is that?!) how to be a princess. The proper way to sit, drink tea, stand, etc. As they learn these things they are presented with jewels that represent things like Grace, and Honesty and whatnot. They also receive lace gloves. Then at the very end, they get crowned an official princess by Cinderella herself and get a photo with her. It seemed really cute and the little girls I saw participating seemed to really enjoy it. The only downside was that it cost 80 dollars, which seemed steep. Escpecially considering you can get park admission AND Cindy's breakfast for less and meet more princesses. But whatever.

One thing that confused me was that they were selling Pal Mickeys. And since the main reason to get one is for his interactivity in the parks, I found it odd that they would sell him elsewhere. I mean, that IS the meat and potatoes of a Pal Mickey. Oh well.

They also had Limited Edition (1000) Grand Opening Pins. And since all the pin fiends in Florida like to buy all the LE pins before anyone else can get them and then turn around and sell them on eBay....I figured turnabout is fair play. So I bought an extra one (it was two per guest) and will be selling it on eBay as well. We'll see how they like it. :p It should be up for auction within the next day or so.

EDIT* - Looks like there are ALREADY four of them on eBay. geez

FanofDinsey1981

nicholas said:
Just got back from the World of Disney on the Grand Opening day. It was pretty crowded. A lot going on. Very clean and bright, which is to be expected considering how new it is.

As far as merchandise, it was pretty much exactly the same as the one in DTD.

Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto were there doing meet and greets, and upstairs there was a Cinderella event going on. Can't remember the name of it though. Basically it's a class where little girls learn (from Lady Serafina - who is that?!) how to be a princess. The proper way to sit, drink tea, stand, etc. As they learn these things they are presented with jewels that represent things like Grace, and Honesty and whatnot. They also receive lace gloves. Then at the very end, they get crowned an official princess by Cinderella herself and get a photo with her. It seemed really cute and the little girls I saw participating seemed to really enjoy it. The only downside was that it cost 80 dollars, which seemed steep. Escpecially considering you can get park admission AND Cindy's breakfast for less and meet more princesses. But whatever.

One thing that confused me was that they were selling Pal Mickeys. And since the main reason to get one is for his interactivity in the parks, I found it odd that they would sell him elsewhere. I mean, that IS the meat and potatoes of a Pal Mickey. Oh well.

They also had Limited Edition (1000) Grand Opening Pins. And since all the pin fiends in Florida like to buy all the LE pins before anyone else can get them and then turn around and sell them on eBay....I figured turnabout is fair play. So I bought an extra one (it was two per guest) and will be selling it on eBay as well. We'll see how they like it. :p It should be up for auction within the next day or so.

is it as big as the one in DTD? or is the layout the same?

and it sounds pretty cool!

nicholas

Original Poster
I don't think it's as big, but it's hard to tell since the one at DTD is one story spread out, and this one is three stories. Not sure if you've ever been to the original Disney Store that was there, but it's exactly the same size as it was at that time. If I had to wager a guess, I would say this one is a little smaller (square foot) than the one at DTD, but it might appear bigger because of the three floors.

nicholas

Original Poster
monorail256 said:
Did you happen to see if they sold any of the park music cds (Fantasmic, Wishes...)?

I can't wait to go and see it next month! :D
I did see CD's, but didn't notice which they were. I only had about 15 minutes to see everything since it was my lunch break, but I'll try to stop by maybe tomorrow or Thursday (I have Thursday off, so I might do it then) and see for ya.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom