News "World of Color – One" coming to Disney California Adventure

CaptinEO

Set list for WoC: One based on the livestream I just watched. Doing it by ear so please correct me if I got anything wrong!

• "Start a Wave"
  • Pocahontas: "Colors of the Wind"
  • Encanto: "Abre Los Ojos", "Waiting on a Miracle"
  • Ratatouille: "Le Festin"
  • Soul: "Feel Soul Good"
  • Coco: "Recuérdame"/"Remember Me"
  • Star Wars: "Star Wars Main Theme", "The Force Theme"
  • The Lion King: "Circle of Life", "Under the Stars", "Lala"
  • Mulan: "Reflection"
  • Moana: "I Am Moana", "Te Ka Attacks"
  • Avengers: "The Avengers"
  • "Start a Wave" reprise (with a "We Go On" tag???)

I'm gonna sit with the show for a bit and try to see the show in person before I formulate an opinion, but my initial thoughts are tending towards disappointment, unfortunately; lots of really great "pictures" in the show that I want them to add to the main WoC show, but nothing particularly stands out in this show. The high winds certainly didn't help as the show was particularly blurry throughout. Feels a bit like a jump from HEA to Enchantment.
So for Disney 100 the oldest animated film they have represented is from 1996? Sounds about right. Each show announcement I joke that they will only have movies from the last 25 years and they always prove me right.

How many nighttime shows need "I Am Moana In It"? It has been in 3 fireworks shows and Fantasmic (at WDW). I like that movie and song too but it's like we get the same songs and movies each show.

wtyy21

So for Disney 100 the oldest animated film they have represented is from 1996? Sounds about right. Each show announcement I joke that they will only have movies from the last 25 years and they always prove me right.

How many nighttime shows need "I Am Moana In It"? It has been in 3 fireworks shows and Fantasmic (at WDW). I like that movie and song too but it's like we get the same songs and movies each show.
Actually the oldest animated they have represented is from 1994 (The Lion King animated film).

Vinnie Mac

I actually really liked this show a lot. Maybe it was my tempered expectations but I thought it had a very thorough narrative that was easy to follow, something usually lacking in WOC..
This is something that made me happy. It actually had a decent element of storytelling which is something that a lot of recent Disney shows have missed.

Disney Analyst

I thought this was going to clip every Disney animated movie or was that the fireworks show?

Fireworks. All World of Color: One promised was to be about how one drop can make a difference. I assume that’s why they chose the IP they did. Something about courage; strength; change; fighting adversity.

Stevek

Brady MacDonald of the OC register called it a dud that lacks energy and power. He's the Disney guy for news locally, not the press Disney was looking for I'm sure. Posting the link in case anyone is a subscriber.

Last edited:

VJ

Brady MacDonald of the OC register called it a dude that lacks energy and power. He's the Disney guy for news locally, not the press Disney was looking for I'm sure. Posting the link in case anyone is a subscriber.

guesses as to how long the show will last?

Figments Friend

Watched the preview ( via video ) and first impressions are this -

Looks pretty with some of the lighting effects.
I like the tricks and light patterns used on the coaster frame and Mick’s Wheel.

Show starts off promising, but then falls into the same overused flow as so many other recent ‘Disney video clip shows’.
I will say however that there were segments that felt fresh in that the same overused song clips were not used.
I personally appreciated the fact that some of the scores by Jerry Goldsmith (Mulan segment ) and Hans Zimmer ( Lion King segment ) were used instead of the typical ‘hit song’ from said films.

I like the ‘message’ that the show is trying to convey.
It truly does only take ONE person to get things started and make a difference.
I speak from first hand experience.

For a show relating to the 100th anniversary of the Company, there is really no cohesive effort to express that here with the exception of the Uncle Walt segments.
All of the segments once the ‘clip show’ begins are all very recent editions, or ‘acquired IP shoutout’ moments.
More a ‘Disney+ advertisement’ then a show celebrating 100 years of this Companies’ accomplishments.

All that being said, it was very windy during the show and we may not be seeing everything that is included as intended.
And as always, one really needs to see something like this IN PERSON before dismissing it.

I will look forward to seeing another showing on a non-windy evening.
There are some good moments here, so it’s not a total loss.

-

MoonRakerSCM

If there's a time to be hokey, sentimental, and nostalgic... one would think a 100th anniversary of a company would be it. All other shows these days are clip shows... but they can't do something special for the 100th?

Disneyland's 50th fireworks... was a tour around the park. It was spectacular... it celebrated the park, hit the nostalgia, hit the new things, and took you on a tour of what was being celebrated.

With an empire so massive and variable as Disney, they could show the evolution of the company from beginning to end celebrating any aspect and it could be just as visually stunning but with an appropriate narrative for the occasion.

Show mickey's evolution from black and white to modern, celebrate the opening of all the parks around the globe, celebrate the animated films from early 2D to stunning 3D, touch on any of the memorable live action films, heck, do something with a cruise line boat on the water for a moment!

A company so globally vast celebrating 100 years of growth and evolution... and they produce a run of the mill clip show.

Creatively bankrupt. I continue my murmurings from recent years... they are in trouble.

mickEblu

Brady MacDonald of the OC register called it a dud that lacks energy and power. He's the Disney guy for news locally, not the press Disney was looking for I'm sure. Posting the link in case anyone is a subscriber.

Guess I’ll be prioritizing the fireworks.

wtyy21

The show would be improved if they replacing/complementing the narrator's voice (It's just takes One) with "Color, Color, Color" chorus like the original WOC and WOC: Celebrate! finales.

brb1006

If there's a time to be hokey, sentimental, and nostalgic... one would think a 100th anniversary of a company would be it. All other shows these days are clip shows... but they can't do something special for the 100th?

Disneyland's 50th fireworks... was a tour around the park. It was spectacular... it celebrated the park, hit the nostalgia, hit the new things, and took you on a tour of what was being celebrated.

With an empire so massive and variable as Disney, they could show the evolution of the company from beginning to end celebrating any aspect and it could be just as visually stunning but with an appropriate narrative for the occasion.

Show mickey's evolution from black and white to modern, celebrate the opening of all the parks around the globe, celebrate the animated films from early 2D to stunning 3D, touch on any of the memorable live action films, heck, do something with a cruise line boat on the water for a moment!

A company so globally vast celebrating 100 years of growth and evolution... and they produce a run of the mill clip show.

Creatively bankrupt. I continue my murmurings from recent years... they are in trouble.
After seeing a video preview of "Wonderous Journeys", I believe they fixed that issue.

TP2000

So...

This is a dancing waters laser show at DCA in that lagoon where the giant ugly rusted ironworks sits out during the day. With songs from movies an 8 year old likes, interspersed with fuzzy cartoons on hazy mist screens. That looks much like every other World of Color dancing waters laser show with the same songs and fuzzy cartoons for the past 13 years?

I think I got it. 🧐

Disney-California-Adventure_Paradies-Bay_World-of-Color-Lagoon_Re-filling-1-Copy.jpg

I'm going to go ride Racers while you kids watch this latest water show thing. I'll meet you at the Carthay fountain after the show!

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

So...

This is a dancing waters laser show at DCA in that lagoon where the giant ugly rusted ironworks sits out during the day. With songs from movies an 8 year old likes, interspersed with fuzzy cartoons on hazy mist screens. That looks much like every other World of Color dancing waters laser show with the same songs and fuzzy cartoons for the past 13 years?

I think I got it. 🧐

Disney-California-Adventure_Paradies-Bay_World-of-Color-Lagoon_Re-filling-1-Copy.jpg

I'm going to go ride Racers while you kids watch this latest water show thing. I'll meet you at the Carthay fountain after the show!

Say what you will about Fantasmic- at least it doesn't absolutely ruin the look of that half of Disneyland.

Steve2753

IMO this show is too overhated for what it is. Not a perfect show but its a step in the right direction; the use of a narrative element along with an encouraging message, decent original theme song, good use of the fountains and lasers. Those elements were completely missing in harmonious and I hope this show stays after the 100th as a seasonal show.

Animaniac93-98

Not a great show. It feels overlong without any connective tissue and the choice of movies at times feels very random (why Ratatouille?).

Certain segments are outright boring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom