News Wondrous Journeys firework show coming to Disneyland

TrainsOfDisney

Where is Steve Davison nowadays, anyway? He used to be the face they'd always put out onstage to represent whatever latest marketing campaign came along. But you don't see or hear from him much lately.
He didn’t lead Wonderous. I think he’s doing more with the international parks now.

Wonderous feels like a Davison show though, and I mean that in a very positive way.

waltography

Castle projections didn't turn on until the quartet this evening (photo from a TikTok livestream below). The entire intro through the Blue Fairy had a dark castle save for the projections in the archway.

IMG_1765.jpg

VJ

He didn’t lead Wonderous. I think he’s doing more with the international parks now.

Wonderous feels like a Davison show though, and I mean that in a very positive way.
the last thing he did for the american parks was harmonious - i think he was involved with tokyo disneysea's new nighttime show?

VJ

Was he the lead for Harmonious!?
he was featured in early promo videos for the show but he stopped appearing in those promo videos closer to the show premiere, so... maybe? perhaps? i'm not sure honestly - but considering mark hammond did the music, i wouldn't be shocked

PiratesMansion

Wonder what it would be like if all the Magic Kingdom parks had Wondrous Journeys?
It wouldn't be possible for every Disney park to have the exact same fireworks/projection show for a number of reasons:

1. Every park has different fireworks restrictions, and only WDW can really do whatever they want with fireworks. DLR has stricter regulations about what they can do, when, and how when compared to WDW, and the internationals tend to be even more strict than DLR.
2. You'd also have to redo the projections for every new show. Tokyo and Magic Kingdom could ostensibly share some projections because they have the same castle, but even then you'd have to make projections for MK's Main Street, which is a place where many gather to watch the fireworks/projection shows, that wouldn't be used Tokyo's World Bazaar, which pointedly is not used for that purpose. With other parks, you're starting over completely from scratch because you'd have to design each set of projections differently to fit each castle. And of course you have all of the other areas that utilize projections that, even if they're the "same", are just different enough to again require them to start from scratch.
3. Different markets want/need different things from fireworks/projection shows. Tokyo's actual fireworks are super short and old school and have nothing to do with their projection shows. Because of different regulations, the focus of the show is necessarily different: in the US, the projections supplement the fireworks; in the international parks it's the opposite. Different properties attach to different properties or may have different styles. Pacing needs may be different also; Tokyo has done some projection shows that, were they to be put in the US just as they were in Japan, would probably be perceived by some as slow or boring. HEA probably wouldn't play as successfully in Shanghai because the focus of the resort (and knowledge of Disney's past films) is more blatantly on Disney, the multimedia conglomerate vs. other markets. And so on.

So you get to the point where there's really no incentive for them to share fireworks shows, which is why it's never been done. The closest you get is one fireworks show borrowing music from another, and that's probably all that it's ever going to be.

wtyy21

Wonder what it would be like if all the Magic Kingdom parks had Wondrous Journeys?
Magic Kingdom-style parks already had WJ-equivalent nighttime show of its own right. Magic Kingdom have Happily Ever After, which set to return on April 3. HKDL had Momentous, Shanghai Disneyland had Illuminate. The special mention is at Disneyland Paris, which had Disney Dreams that set to return on April 12 (same month as HEA and Epcot Forever).

Having same show at all theme parks sounds boring, and looks like Fantasy in The Sky happen again due to lack of uniqueness of the nighttime show.

PiratesMansion

I meant with only having Walt Disney Animation Studios while still having the same restrictions.
Given that Disney sees itself first and foremost as a conglomerate of popular IP, many of which are very popular in other countries, that's unlikely under current leadership.

The only place I could see potentially going for something like it would be Tokyo, as they very much focus on the animated movies first and foremost over there, and tend to give a little more attention to the older movies than the other parks do.

But no way would it happen in Shanghai, perhaps not even in Hong Kong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom