Wondering if people still sending postcards from WDW ?

AstridJMF

Original Poster
Friends and family look forward to receiving post cards from me. I've been sending them for so many years, that it's always a part of a vacation trip to WDW! (I also think part of the appeal of receiving a Disney postcard in the mail, is that at least it's not another bill to open for the recipient! ;) )
LOL I send myself always one from WDW or any places I'm going, I like it and better than bills like you said lol

AstridJMF

Original Poster
I always send postcards, but then again, I'm French Canadian so maybe it IS a French thing. There's just something about getting a "real" letter in the mail that just isn't quite the same.
...however, this past summer I sent 4 from Disney, but only two were received :(
LOL I think you are right! its a tradition and we are lots of models in Disneyland paris so I thought it was maybe americans dont send many from their vacations :)
I have usually a list of 20/25 people to send one, yeah french people send vacations postcards,! Even lots of people collect them here :) I have myself a few from my grand parents and it is nice to look at them and read what they were saying at this time :)

Phonedave

I have sent a few in the recent past - but not as many as I used to. I cannot recall the last time I received a post card (aside from one I sent myself) or for that matter, a hand written letter (and no, a typed Christmas "Johnny got the lead in the play" letter does not count)

-dave

NiarrNDisney

I totally send out post cards from the parks (I like the special stamp they put on the back) though there seems to be limited designs I have had luck finding different images for not much money at all at the Character Shop at the Prime Outlets right outside of Downtown/Disney Springs.

AstridJMF

Original Poster
I have sent a few in the recent past - but not as many as I used to. I cannot recall the last time I received a post card (aside from one I sent myself) or for that matter, a hand written letter (and no, a typed Christmas "Johnny got the lead in the play" letter does not count)

-dave
lol!
here we send lots of postcards when we are going in vacations . When you go to France, you can buy TONS of postcards because it is a ritual!
strangely we dont send for holidays... only people on vacations lol

AstridJMF

Original Poster
When I worked at WDW last year, I had customers buying postcards daily and also looking to purchase stamps to mail them directly from the park. So, I think it's still a pretty popular practice :)
yeah because when I asked a CM, another guest wondering the same, where they were... Like the CM said they only have few and she had difficulties to find them in the store.
They are only a few choices and from the 90s mostly but in Disneyland Paris there are lots, thats why I was wondering :)

blueboxdoctor

Sad when the fun stuff from yesteryear is replaced with electronic babble and electronic garbage. We used to send ourselves a postcard all the time. My mom would send them to her friends.

So it's electronic garbage which would then make post cards physical garbage? I mean, most people don't keep them forever, same for cards. Plus, things sent digitally can be more personalized, especially if you have even a basic photo editing app and some creativity.

Monorail_Red_77

Last time we stayed on property, back in Sep. We stayed at Poly. They had free resort themed postcards at the front desk check-in area. They had three or four different versions. They all were free. Then we went to the gift shop, bought a stamp and mailed them right from the mail drop in the lobby. I don't know if all of the resorts on property have them as we don't always send them. But I know Poly does at least.

Rob562

Last time we stayed on property, back in Sep. We stayed at Poly. They had free resort themed postcards at the front desk check-in area. They had three or four different versions. They all were free. Then we went to the gift shop, bought a stamp and mailed them right from the mail drop in the lobby. I don't know if all of the resorts on property have them as we don't always send them. But I know Poly does at least.

All Disney resorts should have at least one resort-specific postcard available for sale in the gift shop. (I think the All-Stars are all one design to cover all three) I've been sending them from the resorts I stay in for quite a while.

I'd think the free ones you describe would only be at the upper levels of Deluxe resorts...

-Rob

CaptainAmerica

All Disney resorts should have at least one resort-specific postcard available for sale in the gift shop. (I think the All-Stars are all one design to cover all three) I've been sending them from the resorts I stay in for quite a while.

I'd think the free ones you describe would only be at the upper levels of Deluxe resorts...

-Rob
Sounds right. I sent a few from DAKL in April and they had several resort-specific options but they were not free.

wdwjmp239

What is a postcard?

Lol. I remember as recent as 5 years ago, i would purchase about 20 post cards,then i would sit by the pool, eat breakfast, and write them out then mail in the lobby. Up until about 3 years ago i would still purchase but haven't sent a card sent. But with apps, texting, social media that killed apps.

When I was younger, my dad and I used to go to the hotel gift stores, pick up a few post cards to fill out in the lobby, and mail out. Those were the days.

wdwjmp239

I just send E mails from the Imagination kiosks . That is if Windows 98 hasn't crashed on the terminal

Ever have one of those kiosks lock up when you put your full e-mail address in and you can't get the screen unstuck? That happened to me about 4 years ago. All I know is that when I got home, my e-mail box was filled up with some rather "entertaining" (and some questionable) material. Needless to say, I had to sign up for another e-mail address. Now, I just stay the hell away from those kiosks. ;)

FigmentPigments

I always send a postcard every time I go to Disney, and I live in the US. I go to MK and get their special stamp saying it was mailed on Main Street. Then I drop it in one of the many mailboxes in the Magic Kingdom. If you do it near a photopass photographer, he or she will take your picture mailing your postcard. I also like to mail postcards to myself. It's like a little memento of the dates, weather, and the special things that happened on my trip. Without these postcards, my trips would start running together.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There are always postcards. Almost at any location.

However, I've honestly never heard of anyone actually sending a postcard to anyone. Except when I sent one two weeks ago from Hawaii to a friend back home. That was the first postcard I ever sent.. I felt kind of ripped off, TBH. Cuz my friend just sent a text the day she got it saying "thanks for the postcard.. But it was kind of pointless sending it. I mean we're texting right now anyways"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom