Wonderful World Of Disney Sunday night. Still miss it

Animaniac93-98

They tried this in the late 90s with some big-ratings titles like Cinderella, but I think Disney doesn't feel like the cost of producing new anthology content (or showing old stuff) is worth it when compared with series like Once Upon a Time.

They need to bring back the Vault Disney programing block on Disney Channel. What parent is letting their tween watch re-runs of prime-time content at 2:00am anyway?

Californian Elitist

I remember being a kid in the 90's and watching Vault Disney on the Disney Channel. I watched all the classics, including The Wonderful World of Disney, Zorro and lots of others. I looked forward to these classic shows and films. Now the kids nowadays have absolute trash to watch. It's a shame and it makes me angry.

jw24

Also, I don't think it would do well in the TV ratings considering how there are so much programming a potential WWOD would have compete against. I mean, on Sunday, it has to compete against Sunday Night Football (Which is getting record ratings because people can't afford to go to games these days.), animated sitcoms block on FOX, the Amazing Race on CBS. Saturdays? Well, college football takes over every Saturday night with more often than not, the biggest game of the week so there's really no timeslot for it unless you want to do after college football is over. But then again, would people watch it on TV to begin with? I don't really know if movies airing on TV generate big ratings plus with all the technology of obtaining digital copies, Netflix and all that stuff, there's really no need for a Wonderful World revival these days.

Uncle Remus

Original Poster
Also, I don't think it would do well in the TV ratings considering how there are so much programming a potential WWOD would have compete against. I mean, on Sunday, it has to compete against Sunday Night Football (Which is getting record ratings because people can't afford to go to games these days.), animated sitcoms block on FOX, the Amazing Race on CBS. Saturdays? Well, college football takes over every Saturday night with more often than not, the biggest game of the week so there's really no timeslot for it unless you want to do after college football is over. But then again, would people watch it on TV to begin with? I don't really know if movies airing on TV generate big ratings plus with all the technology of obtaining digital copies, Netflix and all that stuff, there's really no need for a Wonderful World revival these days.

My 6 year old daughter doesn't watch football and I don't allow my kids to watch the animated sitcom block on fox. Too much adult humor. I get what you're saying but its not like all the other channels go to dead air and play the national anthem during football. If they played it on a disney station and not ABC it would be catering to those who are already watching said disney station and may pull in some others.

bethymouse

Ah... the good old days!;) I also remember the Disney Saturday mornings before cable TV and all of the 24/7 cartoon channels!:grumpy:

jw24

My 6 year old daughter doesn't watch football and I don't allow my kids to watch the animated sitcom block on fox. Too much adult humor. I get what you're saying but its not like all the other channels go to dead air and play the national anthem during football. If they played it on a disney station and not ABC it would be catering to those who are already watching said disney station and may pull in some others.

ABC Family tends to play the Disney classics movies more often than not these days (Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior every once in a while.) Not everyone can afford cable these days and a lot are cutting back on cable bills. So they turn to the internet like iTunes, Netflix or YouTube to see those movies. You can watch those digital copies a fraction of what the DVD/Blu-Rays disc in stores cost or use P2P programs to get them for free even.

Last edited:

Uncle Remus

Original Poster
ABC Family tends to play the Disney classics movies more often than not these days (Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior every once in a while.) Not everyone can afford cable these days and a lot are cutting back on cable bills. So they turn to the internet like iTunes, Netflix or YouTube to see those movies. You can watch those digital copies a fraction of what the DVD/Blu-Rays disc in stores cost or use P2P programs to get them for free even.

Yes, I'm aware of technology. I'm aware of where one can watch old disney movies. WWoD wasn't just old movies. I am also aware that more people can afford cable now then when it first came out. Cable wasn't even available to everyone. Point it is there are in fact channels on television still. Despite all of the reasons you listed. Disney has more than a handful of those channels.

It would cool and I believe beneficial if every now and again they had a WWoD special. Maybe a monthly special say the first Sunday of every month. Or even a Friday evening when parents are either out or spending time at home with the kids. If they are already airing programming despite football, Bart Simpson, netflix and youtube why not bring back new WWoD? Just a thought was all

Minnie1976

I think I watched that back in the late 50's or 60's as a child. It was wonderful. Never thought I would ever go to Disneyland all the way in California. Of course, Disney World wasn't heard of back then.

KathyJetson

I have the Disney Family Movies on demand. They show a lot of the old WWoD movies and old theater releases from the 1960's to today. I love watching them with my son. They change them a couple times a month. I have Time Warner cable and its a free channel on my line up.

prberk

Yes, I'm aware of technology. I'm aware of where one can watch old disney movies. WWoD wasn't just old movies. I am also aware that more people can afford cable now then when it first came out. Cable wasn't even available to everyone. Point it is there are in fact channels on television still. Despite all of the reasons you listed. Disney has more than a handful of those channels.

It would cool and I believe beneficial if every now and again they had a WWoD special. Maybe a monthly special say the first Sunday of every month. Or even a Friday evening when parents are either out or spending time at home with the kids. If they are already airing programming despite football, Bart Simpson, netflix and youtube why not bring back new WWoD? Just a thought was all

I completely agree. It was more than just a chance to see a Disney movie already on DVD. It was a lot of things. To some kids and families, it was an event, something to look forward to (some weeks more than others). It was consistently family-friendly programming (and I mean truly family-friendly, not as a code-word or "kiddie"). It often ran the gamut from classic Disney films (animated AND live-action) to nature specials and very often specials based in the parks. The intros were always interesting and tied the show to something current or worth learning.

All of that is still relevant today, and with the right host(s), could be very well-done and well-received.

Here is the clincher, both then and now: It was always also useful as a commercial for the parks or upcoming movies. Walt himself used it that way. He stood inside Disneyland's Frontierland as he introduced a Western, etc. He also took time to mention new movies he was working on, as he showed us some of the marvels of animation.

What the company does not realize is that it would be an effective commercial vehicle still, to help introduce new things, or remind an audience about WDW or DL from time to time, while still producing a nice show every week.

My two cents...

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
I would love to see it come back, maybe World of Color return. Put a face to Disney and Disney films. Maybe monthly special that shows off the work Disney is doing whether Park,Film, or charity related.

prberk

By the way, the long-time theme song from it (used in the '70s at least) is out there on some of the Disney anthology albums. Do a search on iTunes or other places and you will find it. I enjoy listening to it from time to time in a Disney mix, especially on the way to Florida...

MOXOMUMD

If, and that's a totally whimsical if, they brought it back, who would they have host it.......o_O. Hmmmm, the possibilities. Mario Lopez? Ryan Seachrist? Mike Wazowski? (Helllllooo humans! :joyfull:)

prberk

If, and that's a totally whimsical if, they brought it back, who would they have host it.......o_O. Hmmmm, the possibilities. Mario Lopez? Ryan Seachrist? Mike Wazowski? (Helllllooo humans! :joyfull:)

Either Bob Iger (like Eisner did) or someone with a strong Disney tie, like John Lasseter or even Julie Andrews. Mario Lopez would do a good job, but might come across too plastic. The magic that "Uncle Walt" brought was mostly in the fact that he actually believed in the projects (and shows) he was introducing.

The Walt Disney Treasures DVD series had a nice set called, "Your Host, Walt Disney," that showcased a lot of his best hosting appearances. It is worth watching. Find it on e-Bay if you don't have it.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

Either Bob Iger (like Eisner did) or someone with a strong Disney tie, like John Lasseter or even Julie Andrews. Mario Lopez would do a good job, but might come across too plastic. The magic the "Uncle Walt" brought was mostly in the fact that he actually believed in the projects (and shows) he was introducing.

The Walt Disney Treasures DVD series had a nice set called, "Your Host, Walt Disney," that showcased a lot of his best hosting appearances. It is worth watching. Find it on e-Bay if you don't have it.
I was just thinking of who they had host the Christmas parades.....except Mike of course. :cyclops:

prberk

I was just thinking of who they had host the Christmas parades.....except Mike of course. :cyclops:

Hence my comment about coming across as too plastic. I hate the modern day Christmas "Disney Parks" crass commercials, um, I mean "parade". They actually used to have the parade live, prior to 1997 or so, and it actually acted like a parade and was fun to watch without seeming so obviously fake and an infomercial for "Disney Parks." It was live from Walt Disney World, and said so. The crowd was not so obviously fake, and the hosts (though perky enough) were not always pre-taped and pretending that it was not 7 a.m. in Disneyland like they do today.

And that is part of what I am talking about with this whole thing. Disney used to know how to do a TV show (like the WWD on Sunday nights) that had cross-promotional elements but was not so crass and obvious. The old, live Walt Disney World Very Merry Christmas Parade was a nice show, that gently advertised WDW (and you would assume people on the West Coast thought of DL naturally) in a family-friendly way that actually made you want to visit sometime.

Macy's live Thanksgiving Day parade on NBC clearly has commercial elements that benefit Macy's and New York, but it is not nearly as crass and fake. Walt's old WWD intros worked the same way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom