News Wonderful World of Animation nighttime show coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Apologize in advance for my question. I watched the video on YouTube and there were comments that this was a preshow? Is that accurate? Is there another movie based fw show that will follow? And do we still have the Star Wars fw show? That was pretty impressive the last time we were there in 2017...
Yes it plays before the nightly Star Wars firework show.

Animaniac93-98

Watching both Movie Magic again (which I saw in person last year) and the new show on YoutTube now, I think I like both equally. Maybe a slight edge to animation for its use of pyrotechnics.

Looked carefully during montages for more obscure references, and I noticed the following were in the show:

- The Black Cauldron
- The Rescuers Down Under
- Oliver and Company
- The AristoCats
- Home on the Range
- Ichabod and Mr. Toad (or at least Ichabod with the Headless Horseman)

Didn't see Great Mouse Detective, Atlantis or Treasure Planet, but maybe I missed them.

VJ

Honestly, the show feels really... hollow. Like the intent was to cram as many Disney/Pixar animated movie references as possible into the show, without much thought for everything else. It's not really cohesive, it just... it is what it is, really. A bunch of Disney movie clips and "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?!" being thrown at you nonstop with the obligatory Walt tribute at the end. Doesn't do much for me personally. Shrug.

JohnD

Honestly, the show feels really... hollow. Like the intent was to cram as many Disney/Pixar animated movie references as possible into the show, without much thought for everything else. It's not really cohesive, it just... it is what it is, really. A bunch of Disney movie clips and "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?!" being thrown at you nonstop with the obligatory Walt tribute at the end. Doesn't do much for me personally. Shrug.

Um, that is the intent. “Wonderful World of Animation.” What did you think you were going to get from a Disney animation projection show?I tell you what: Don’t go to any projection show. You’ll be extremely disappointed.

I can see you commenting on the Star Wars show: “Like the intent was to cram as many Star Wars movie references as possible into the show, without much thought for everything else.”

Kman101

and moving......they are just slapping clips together anymore, I fear the new epcot show after forever.

I think Epcot's will be better (*shudders*).

This is just a true clip fest. Epcot's should at least have some sort of story (I'd hope!!).

I saw it in person last night. It was better in person. The images are very very clear. Some OK effects. It's better seeing it all in person. I just watched it again on youtube and had the same 'meh' feeling but I enjoyed it in person. Nothing amazing, a few good sections, a nice nod. But there's just so many clips to look at. It starts off promising but it's sort of all over the place. I guess I'm mixed on it. Not awful but could be better.

I liked the Incredibles section, I liked the Wreck it Ralph (hi, Owl City) section, I liked whoever snuck in Yzma, I liked the Mickey through the years ending (ends with current animation style Mickey) and the Fantasia (Sorceror Mickey) beginning and of course throw in Walt's "it all started with a mouse" ... they spent "longer" segments on Mickey, Snow White (randomly inserted, I felt, but it was nice they included her in a longer segment), Sleeping Beauty, Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Aladdin, Wreck it Ralph (2), Toy Story (4), The Incredibles, a villains section starting off with Hades highlighted ... and a few others (Moana, Zootopia). The rest of 90 years of animation are all shoved into short clips you have to try and catch. I thought they specifically highlighted "relevant" properties and most suit the current park.

VJ

Um, that is the intent. “Wonderful World of Animation.” What did you think you were going to get from a Disney animation projection show?I tell you what: Don’t go to any projection show. You’ll be extremely disappointed.

I can see you commenting on the Star Wars show: “Like the intent was to cram as many Star Wars movie references as possible into the show, without much thought for everything else.”
I'm glad you could get enjoyment out of the show. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Seems to me these shows are probably cheaper to produce compared to doing fireworks.

They can only do those types of shows now. The new fireworks launching pad is too close to a major road and forests to have major fireworks shows anymore.

mightynine

Needs a little more kinetic motion outside of the projections to shake off a slightly lifeless feeling at points. Either by firework or the spotlights or...something.

Maybe that feeling comes across better in person.

Kman101

You like it.

Some don't.

It's not that serious ;) relax :)

Kman101

Needs a little more kinetic motion outside of the projections to shake off a slightly lifeless feeling at points. Either by firework or the spotlights or...something.

Maybe that feeling comes across better in person.

It does come across better in person. I was surprised how much I liked it, after just about hating it when I watched a video of it (I still think it's lacking in parts and could have been a little better; I liked some segments). It's worth a see to judge for yourself. Those looking for a fireworks show, which I think is what most want to say when they complain, will be disappointed no matter what.

JohnD

You like it.

Some don't.

It's not that serious ;) relax :)

It’s not a matter of liking or disliking. It’s criticizing an animation clip show for being an animation clip show. No matter the theme of a projection clip show, that’s what they do.

Kman101

Honestly, I found it to be boring.
I usually like nostalgia/clip type of shows, but it’s becoming to ubiquitous and feels overdone.

Sort of over the whole projection thing too. It was clever at first. Now it’s old hat and not very impressive.

Did you see it in person? I had a complete opposite reaction seeing it in person. Again, it has flaws for sure.

It's simply a clip fest celebrating 90 years of animation, bookened by Mickey. It's not that deep :)

Kman101

It’s not a matter of liking or disliking. It’s criticizing an animation clip show for being an animation clip show. No matter the theme of a projection clip show, that’s what they do.

OK.

Personally, some of the criticism is valid.

You think the show is perfect and well done? I liked it seeing it in person but even I think it could have been done better. It's not awful and folks criticizing it likely haven't seen it in person. Still, relax. It's honestly not that deep or serious. It's just a projection show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom