Woman Rushed To Hospital Unconcious After Riding Disney Rollercoaster

wdwfan22

Original Poster
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A Disney spokeswoman says a woman has been taken to the hospital after riding Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom.

Disney says the woman was unconscious, but breathing when she was transported.

An anonymous Disney cast member told WFTV the woman has died, however Disney officials will not confirm that.

The ride has been shut down and the incident is currently being investigated by law enforcement and Disney.

taken from wftv

Wonder why the ride was shut down? Seems like a health issue to me not a safety related issue

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Whenever there is any type of incident like this they always shut down the attraction until they can confirm it wasn't a malfunction that caused the injury.

wdwfan22

Original Poster
The Orlando Sentinel is now reporting that once technicians have finished inspecting the ride, it will be reopened to other guests.

earldw28

There seems to be conflicting reports right now on her status, hopefully she is not dead as some reports are saying. Very sad when stuff like this happens but there isn't anything Disney or any other theme park in the world can do about it. If people have medical conditions even they aren't aware of all of the ride warning signs in the world can't prevent these extremely unfortunate events. Hope she's ok.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
The bad thing about this is if she does make it she will probably blame Disney and the ride and sue. If she doesn't make it the family will probably blame Disney and the ride and sue. Either way Disney gets screwed.

BenS

The bad thing about this is if she does make it she will probably blame Disney and the ride and sue. If she doesn't make it the family will probably blame Disney and the ride and sue. Either way Disney gets screwed.

Disney will be fine. I'm sure they have some crazy liability insurance for this kind of thing. Honestly I'm more worried about the woman and her family than the wealthy corporation.

A lawsuit would be baseless anyway. Disney puts up plenty of warning signs about heart conditions, etc. It's a well known fact that grief can turn to anger, so I understand why these lawsuits happen. (honestly it's the ambulance chasing lawyers who prey on this that I can't stand)

Sarabell

If it´s due to a medical condition then Disney can´t really be blamed. There are all kinds of warnings. My mom suffers from high blood pressure, and she was in line for RnRC 2 years ago and when she read the warnings she decided to get out of the line and skip the ride... that´s the responsible thing to do.
She wasn´t so responsible afterwards riding the Hulk coaster in IOA though...:lookaroun

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Disney will be fine. I'm sure they have some crazy liability insurance for this kind of thing. Honestly I'm more worried about the woman and her family than the wealthy corporation.

A lawsuit would be baseless anyway. Disney puts up plenty of warning signs about heart conditions, etc. It's a well known fact that grief can turn to anger, so I understand why these lawsuits happen. (honestly it's the ambulance chasing lawyers who prey on this that I can't stand)

Disney will receive bad press for this even if she fully recovers it is just the way the media works.. whatever it takes to make a good story. I hope she does fully recover and comes to the conclusion that she should not blame Disney for this and just stay away from thrill rides.

fillerup

Disney will be fine. I'm sure they have some crazy liability insurance for this kind of thing.

It's fairly likely that a company as large as Disney is probably self-insured. So settlement in this case, if there is one, or any other comes directly off the bottom line.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I wonder how many people rushed to the TTA Peoplemover to get pictures of Space Mountain with the lights on... :rolleyes:

Heart's out for the woman.

GymLeaderPhil

Space Mountain has not reopened since this morning and will probably not resume operations tonight. FastPass was disabled as soon as it went down.

Neverland

I don't think it reopened. Other attractions in the park were instructed to accept Space Mountain FPs, which usually only happens if the ride is down the whole day.

Skooterkid

Space Mountain being closed for a whole 2 days will be a massive annoyance to guests. I remember when Space Mountain was being refurbished back in 2009 and I really missed it, much more than I ever thought I would. It left a big hole in my vacation, as its usually the ride I head to first upon entering the Magic Kingdom. Of course, Disney are doing the right thing, safety always has to come first.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
did the woman reads the warning in Space Mountain! Also Space Mountain reopened let!

Jeany, there's no way of knowing what the woman's condition was, and how Space Mountain may have impacted it.

And hopefully the ride will reopen today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom