Woman gives birth after running Chicago marathon

Phonedave

I saw this on FB

While I was milling about at the pre-start of this year's F&W I noticed a clearly pregnant woman there. I was a bit taken aback by it. She looked to be a good ways into her pregnancy and was getting ready to run.

-dave

DisneyRunner

The radio show this morning was discussing this, as well. A lady called in and said she ran 20 miles a day, I believe that is what she said, and her doctor told her to cut back. So, she ran 15 miles a day instead.:ROFLOL: Her route was around a major medical complex in WI.

JillC LI

I heard about this. Unbelievable. But if it were me, why take the risk to run that long that far into your pregnancy?

sweetpee_1993

I saw that! Man, if she can do it and her doctor okay'd it then kudos to her! I know when I got to that point with both my boys I was ready to do anything to jump-start labor...then again, as big and uncomfortable as I was (w/my 2nd people swore I was carrying twins) I likely would've died from the misery. I only wish I'd stayed in better physical condition during my pregnancies. I wouldn't be in the boat I'm in now if I had. :cool: Good for her!

Phonedave

I agree. Running a marathon is tough on anybody never mind someone that is pregnant. Here's a link to a story about a runner that died while running the Chicago marathon this weekend.

http://news.yahoo.com/male-runner-collapses-chicago-marathon-dies-230050914.html

Not to discount the runners death, but the last bit of that article was interesting.

The said most deaths in marathons or other endurance events come just before the end (the guy in the article collapsed 500 yards from the finish)

They article said they think it might have something to do with being exhausted and then an adrenline rush hits you as you near the finish. I don't know, I just thought that was interesting.

-dave

fmingo36

Original Poster
Not to discount the runners death, but the last bit of that article was interesting.

The said most deaths in marathons or other endurance events come just before the end (the guy in the article collapsed 500 yards from the finish)

They article said they think it might have something to do with being exhausted and then an adrenline rush hits you as you near the finish. I don't know, I just thought that was interesting.

-dave

I actually know someone that passed away while running a 10K and yes he was not far from the finish line. He died from cardiac arrest.

Whenever I'm at the starting line of a race, I'm usually thinking things like "I hope my knees don't give me too much trouble. I hope I have the right stuff to fuel me throughout the race. I hope I'm not last." I never think.."Gee, I hope I don't die while trying to cross the finish line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom