Woman Denied Entry at MK For Trying To Bring In Baby Bengal Tiger

chiefs11

20/20 just did a story about this kind of stuff the other night. They got some fake certificates saying various animals were for emotional support then took them on flights. I think they took a rabbit and some weird albino hedgehog. They even had a photo of someone who took a miniature horse on a flight as their 'comfort animal'. The world has truly gone mad.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
She must have flown in a private jet, because it would seem to be a bit tough to load a kitty like that into the commercial airline. At least I would think so. o_O I just cannot imagine she came here without the tiger and just went to the local Petsmart and pick one up as a souvenir?
That was my assumption as well. While private jets do still have to go through customs, it is my understanding that it is not uncommon for customs to be rather lax if it is there at all at smaller regional airports.

kpilcher

OK. This is not QUITE what it seems. First I talked to Disney PR -- They hadn't heard of this. So my station (WKMG Local 6) reached out to Central Florida Zoo. Here's what they told us:

Hi WKMG
This is not, as you say, “for real”. David Tetzlaff, took in a Bengal cat a the request of a call from a Disney property. The animal is nota Bengal tiger; it is a ten day old Bengal cat, which is basically a domestic species, largely available in the private sector. The animal’s mother and siblings passed away and the Disney guests who brought it with them on vacation are hand-rearing the animal at present. The animal will be returned to them tomorrow.
Sorry I am just getting back to you, we have a lot going on this week preparing for a big event this weekend, Brews Around the Zoo, which sold out today!
All the best,
Shonna

ABQ

OK. This is not QUITE what it seems. First I talked to Disney PR -- They hadn't heard of this. So my station (WKMG Local 6) reached out to Central Florida Zoo. Here's what they told us:

Hi WKMG
This is not, as you say, “for real”. David Tetzlaff, took in a Bengal cat a the request of a call from a Disney property. The animal is nota Bengal tiger; it is a ten day old Bengal cat, which is basically a domestic species, largely available in the private sector. The animal’s mother and siblings passed away and the Disney guests who brought it with them on vacation are hand-rearing the animal at present. The animal will be returned to them tomorrow.
Sorry I am just getting back to you, we have a lot going on this week preparing for a big event this weekend, Brews Around the Zoo, which sold out today!
All the best,
Shonna
Oh well then, that's a different story entirely. Now tell me more about Brews Around the Zoo? ;)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Hi WKMG
All the best,
Shonna
That makes a bit more sense.

fillerup

Hi WKMG
All the best,
Shonna

Seriously folks. These things aren't as difficult as you make them sometimes.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Hi WKMG
All the best,
Shonna

Of course Disney PR hadnt heard.... LOL.

So its just a housecat that someone tried to take into the parks with them?

DisneyDebRob

Am I the only one wondering why this story doesn't appear in any Orlando area media?

If you go to the four TV stations and the Sentinel and do a search on the word tiger, all you get are stories wondering if Tiger Woods can win the Masters.

Maybe that explains why the woman who answered the phone when I called the Central Florida Zoo had no idea what I was talking about.

I left a message for the Zoo's VP that was mentioned in the story but he hasn't called back. Probably thinks I'm crazy.
No he can't win the masters.;)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Seems like it, Dave! Though it does have stripes like a Tiger. <G>

Apparently the kid who started all this is some CM that works at CBR who posted the now-deleted quote to facebook. Someone screen grabbed it and make it the basis for their article.

Once again the difference between real journalism (who with one email cleared it up) and a blogger (who's just trying to get free stuff from Disney or just page clicks)

EOD K9

I apologize for not quoting the post, but there was a post saying that CMs wont take control of animals. I can attest that at least once it did happen. The wife and I were walking in the parking lot of DHS when a women saw my t-shirt (it had a K9 logo and my agency on it) and said there was a dog locked in a car. I approached the vehicle and there was a small dog in there with the windows cracked. It was a warm day and I was of course concerned. Long story short, my K9 buddy from Disney showed up, another security CM, and they jimmied the lock open. The animal was taken to the kennels over at the studios and a note left on the vehicle.

The Mom

Premium Member
Of course Disney PR hadnt heard.... LOL.

So its just a housecat that someone tried to take into the parks with them?

More like a housecat on steroids. ;) They are a wild/domestic blend (and I wonder how the poor housecat made out in that encounter!) similar to the Savannah cats.

They are much larger than housecats, and have varying degrees of "wildness" Some are wonderful pets, others appear to be very dangerous.

But they certainly look like a wild cat. :eek:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Stupid is a given, illegal is also given. Cub or not this animals holder needs to have a permit to have such an animal. This woman should have been arrested and the animal taken away. I will make a wild assumption that since she is from Dubai and carrying a tiger cub that she is quite wealthy and spending huge $$$$ @ Disney and was given a special consideration by all and was able to walk. She should be in all kinds of trouble.

Ah, ok, I didn't see where it said she didn't have a permit. In that case she is doing something illegal.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I apologize for not quoting the post, but there was a post saying that CMs wont take control of animals. I can attest that at least once it did happen. The wife and I were walking in the parking lot of DHS when a women saw my t-shirt (it had a K9 logo and my agency on it) and said there was a dog locked in a car. I approached the vehicle and there was a small dog in there with the windows cracked. It was a warm day and I was of course concerned. Long story short, my K9 buddy from Disney showed up, another security CM, and they jimmied the lock open. The animal was taken to the kennels over at the studios and a note left on the vehicle.

Well thats a "doing the right thing" and "excellent guest service".....

The bit you are quoting is in that article that as it turns out had a lot wrong. (The guests are not from Dubai)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom