WL vs AKL

ada0801

Original Poster
A bit about our group: 3 rooms (6 adults, 10 yo, 2 8yo, 3 yo). We have stayed WL before and its our favorite. Never AKL. 1 adult has Stage4 Breast cancer and travel is a bit hard on her bones. 7 or 8 nights, 8 days. Not sure of the view yet. For sure Courtyard view at WL... Savannah view at AKL is a bit more expensive.

Thoughts?

What is your favorite and why?

DisneyJoe

For us it depends on the trip. If we plan on visiting MK often, we would opt for WL. If we were taking more of a relaxing visit and perhaps not visiting MK as often, we'd do AKL. With the kids in your group, I'd say WL.

lostpro9het

Regardless of trip, for us, its AKL. IMO, the kids would like all the kids activities at AKL, the animal viewing, and Kidani’s pool and kids water area. Some of the best food options, Sanaa & Jiko, are there in addition to some great lounges. AKL is our favorite because of the above as well as fantastic theming and if you drive or have a rental, there is a dunkin donuts less than 5 minutes away ;):D!

correcaminos

Regardless of trip, for us, its AKL. IMO, the kids would like all the kids activities at AKL, the animal viewing, and Kidani’s pool and kids water area. Some of the best food options, Sanaa & Jiko, are there in addition to some great lounges. AKL is our favorite because of the above as well as fantastic theming and if you drive or have a rental, there is a dunkin donuts less than 5 minutes away ;):D!
I agree with this! Well not the dunkin donuts ;) but seriously the rest is true.

I think staying in new places is also fun so if you liked WL I bet you will really like AKL. Very similar but different in theme. Plus animals and a lot more fun activities all around. Yes WL has the boat to MK but otherwise transportation is similar. If renting a scooter for the adult with cancer (wishing all the best for them) I'd pick AKL as the boats to MK aren't always good for ECVs.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I agree with this! Well not the dunkin donuts ;) but seriously the rest is true.

I think staying in new places is also fun so if you liked WL I bet you will really like AKL. Very similar but different in theme. Plus animals and a lot more fun activities all around. Yes WL has the boat to MK but otherwise transportation is similar.

The pastries in AK (and other areas in and around the parks) are not inexpensive, but they're worth the price and are far better than the garbage you find trucked into Dunkin Donuts.

MegRuss626

With someone having travel difficulties due to health reasons, the savannah room might be a nice option in case they might have an off day and need to stay back in the room. They can sit on the balcony and watch the animals. And the resort itself is stunning.

ada0801

Original Poster
Question for you AKL experts: can one of us have a savannah room and the rest a standard and us all still be close together?

DisneyPrincess5

We’ve stayed at both and while both have their unique beauty and charm, I’d always choose WL because we love MK and prefer to be closer to it and we also love being close to a body of water. So peaceful and relaxing for us.

Either way, you’ll have a great trip! Just choose where you’ll want and what’s most comfortable for your travel mate with cancer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I like both...or at least I did before the dvc retrofit at wilderness...

And while you can't go wrong, I prefer all because it's unique...much moreso than any other Disney property.

But it's a lot of walking too...so if you have a traveler that needs a lot of rest, that might not be ideal. Stage 4 is rough at wdw.

DisneyDoug85

I've stayed at both within the last couple years. We're staying at Wilderness Lodge again next fall. I LOVE both resorts but Wilderness just has something about it that i can't seem to get enough of. If it were me, i'd stay there. You'll definitely love AKL too though.

ada0801

Original Poster
I like both...or at least I did before the dvc retrofit at wilderness...

And while you can't go wrong, I prefer all because it's unique...much moreso than any other Disney property.

But it's a lot of walking too...so if you have a traveler that needs a lot of rest, that might not be ideal. Stage 4 is rough at wdw.

She has been to Disney since her diagnosis. We just take it at her pace and take plenty of breaks. A wheelchair and assitance pass is our saving grace too.

Seeshark

Might be a bit difficult given the number of people and the health issues, but what about splitting the trip between the two resorts? I find the actual resort switch to be quite simple, just requires a little more meal planning if using the dining plan. For example, you could stay at WL for the days you want to go to the MK, then move over to AKL for the days you want to go to the other parks. WL and AKL are my top two resorts - maybe I'd give the AKL the slight edge for the resort itself and WL for the location. Since you haven't done AKL, I suppose that would be my differentiator, particularly if you're looking at the Jambo House. Other than going to AK, staying at AKL can mean a lot of time on buses - particularly if you go to the park early, come back in the afternoon, then go back out elsewhere for dinner or back to the park, that sort of thing.

Matty H

I've only stayed at each of those once, WL about 10 years ago and AK about 3 years ago. In my limited experience, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. :)

(That said, WL was under a lot of construction recently, for the new DVC properties. I hear it's nearly done and pretty unobtrusive. But, the new vegetation is now very young, if that's something that matters to you.)

spock8113

It's a toss-up, but w/kids, the AKL. But be prepared to walk! The AKL is much larger and the halls go on for ever.
Like many of the value motels, structurally there are many similarities but the theme-ing makes those
similarities disappear.
WL is much like the old Yellowstone Lodge. Go out by the pool at dusk, sip a rum and coke and wait for the rabbits
to appear. (non-rum induced).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom