Without a car, can you live, work, and play at WDW?

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Hello,

I'm recently unemployed. Yeah, fun having your job outsourced to somewhere far far away. Anyway, just as a slight possibility, I want to apply for some WDW professional jobs. It seems that the mouse has some great opportunities that would fit my resume. However, I don't drive, and never will.

Now I need to ask, does anyone on these boards live, work, and play in Orlando without a car? Or, do you know someone who does this? Even better, know anyone who is blind or visually impaired that does this? That's my situation.

Now, I've heard about the Lynx transportation system. I even visited their website. However, what is the true extent of their service? Can a professional work at WDW and use this system to get to apartments out in Orlando or a surrounding location? How much of a pain is it to use? Waiting more than 45 minutes for a bus is quite painful. I come from Chicago, I know, I'm spoiled with the CTA.

I'm actually looking to have a conversation with anyone who may have a true experience in this area. I need to pick someone's brain, because if this is actually possible, why should I deny myself the opportunity due to ignorance of the local area?

Ryan

will_rogers

Lynx is ok. I don't use it but I tend to study/analyze cities and urban growth. Comparitely, It has a lot to be desired for. It's really designed for the poor and people who don't mind waiting all day for a bus that smells like hell. Not the most professional-friendsly. I visit Chicago often. The CTA is AMAZING. I'll put it like this.

LYNX: Six Flags
CTA:Tokyo Disneyland

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
That really stinks.

Wow, for such a large urban area, I'm disappointed. I guess it is similar to an overgrown suburb. I've seen cities like this before, Los Angeles comes to mind first. Public transportation is just a nightmare. I just don't understand how we're all supposed to help the environment out if good large public transit systems just don't exist.

I had a terrible realization after a recent annual physical, food tastes too good. When you visit restaurants, ordering the low fat or healthy dishes does reduce the flavor factor, thus the enjoyment. So, I'm assuming that there is some way to make things taste good and cut the fat, but the price is too much for the market to handel. Thus, our transportation issue. Getting transportation up to the point where someone would give up their car is possible, but the market won't invest. Since the market in this case is a local government body, they probably don't have the cash. Now, why bother with public transportation if you can just drive?

How sad.

juan

There is an apartment complex within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom -- I think it's called Buena Vista something

The Mom

Premium Member
It is virtually impossible to survive in Orlando, and most areas of Florida, without a car....especially if you think you will be in mid to upper management.

The expectation is that you will be able to drive, so meetings etc may be some distance from your actual workplace.

Walking distance from anyplace in WDW does not mean that you are allowed to walk anywhere. Plus, roadways in the area are NOT pedestrian friendly!

The comparison to LA is very appropriate. Orlando (and Jacksonville, for that matter) are "cities" with a small number of people living within the urban core, but the majority live in the surrounding suburbs, which were all built long after two car families became the norm, so public transportation was not an issue.

It takes me 25 minutes (in rush hour) to drive my son to school. The same trip via bus would take in excess of 90 minutes.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
rdour@techminds,

It might help if you told the folks in Orlando that you're directing your question at why you'll never drive. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything regarding the Lynx system and provisions for the vision-impaired or blind. Perhaps the locals could help with details if they were aware of your situation?

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
What about people who retire?

Hello,

So, if everyone drives, what about those who have retired to Orlando? Many people retire to Florida, and at some point they do stop driving. So what do they do?

iKat

Hello,

So, if everyone drives, what about those who have retired to Orlando? Many people retire to Florida, and at some point they do stop driving. So what do they do?

It takes them a long time to stop driving. I was at a DMV in Orlando, and an older lady was taking a vision test... the guy gave her 3 tries, and eventually said 'close enough.' (I'm not kidding, that really happened.)

But I don't think retirees have the same needs of getting around as others. Those who have stopped driving rely on family and friends to get them around (that's what my Grandma does at least.)

Shaman

rdour,

Like Monty said, talk to someone at Disney, explain to them you're interested in a position but aren't really sure how that would work out considering your situation. Maybe they can give you some useful information/tips...especially if they want to hire you.

I haven't tried the public transit in Orlando, but I'm guessing it would leave a lot to be desired, especially if you're use to a decent service.

Good luck with the job hunt! :wave:

Space Mountain

There is an apartment complex within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom -- I think it's called Buena Vista something

Buena Vista View? Not the best place to stay, but you could manage.

rdour,

Like Monty said, talk to someone at Disney, explain to them you're interested in a position but aren't really sure how that would work out considering your situation. Maybe they can give you some useful information/tips...especially if they want to hire you.

They can really only tell you to look at apartments. They cant arrange anything for you though.

Missymoe4

Lynx is ok. I don't use it but I tend to study/analyze cities and urban growth. Comparitely, It has a lot to be desired for. It's really designed for the poor and people who don't mind waiting all day for a bus that smells like hell. Not the most professional-friendsly. I visit Chicago often. The CTA is AMAZING. I'll put it like this.

LYNX: Six Flags
CTA:Tokyo Disneyland

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC:

Yeah for the CTA!! Most people who do live in the city (not the surrounding suburbs) do not have a car. Or, if they do, never, ever use it.

But, didn't know what others thought of our transportation system here in Chicago.

Makes me feel a bit proud...thanks!

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Too bad EPCOT never happened.

Thanks for all of the great feedback.

Isn't it a shame that EPCOT (yes, I know caps) never really happened? I have heard about something called Celebration, but does it really have any of the elements of the EPCOT concept? Does it have any public transportation or is everything within a walking distance? Can you get a bus to DTD or the TTC? It makes me wonder.

Imagine, Walt had an idea that cars wouldn't really be our future. He had a great idea with his "always on" and "no wait" system provided by the people mover. I even imagine things could be accomplished like larger vehicles for moving large objects such as the big screen TV you just bought. Why not? I have issues with our current public transportation systems because they do lack one thing. If you drive, you simply decide to go somewhere, and you just do it. You may just decide all of a sudden that you feel like a Taco. You go get in your car and get one. Ah, now if you don't drive, that Taco could take you 45 minutes of waiting followed by a 25 minute bus ride with many stops, then another 45 minute wait for the other bus to take you 25 minutes the other direction. Hmmm, so sad. Walt's way would have allowed for such instant access to all of life's little things.

Does anyone have or know of access to the original EPCOT presentation? I'd be interested in hearing the audio from it. Or, better yet, is there a very detailed account of it out there on the net somewhere?

Ryan

disneytati

I don't drive. I went to Orlando last year and used the Lynx bus system. It sucks. It takes ages for you to get anywhere, specially WDW. It's very difficult to get around without a car. So I suggest you start thinking about driving... That's what I will do when I move up there.

The Mom

Premium Member
I don't drive. I went to Orlando last year and used the Lynx bus system. It sucks. It takes ages for you to get anywhere, specially WDW. It's very difficult to get around without a car. So I suggest you start thinking about driving... That's what I will do when I move up there.

The OP is visually impaired, so driving is not an option. Unfortunately, unless WDW, or a forum member who relies on public transportation can give him some encouraging news, Orlando may not be an option, either. :(

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm good friends with a CM who is legally blind, and at first she moved to the apartments across the street from the MK and walked to work. She did this for about 2 years, and then moved further away with a roommate who worked at WDW as well, so they'd commute together. She also lived close enough to the Bus route that she could walk to the bus stop and take the Lynx to WDW.

It can be done... it's not easy, but it is possible.

disneytati

The OP is visually impaired, so driving is not an option. Unfortunately, unless WDW, or a forum member who relies on public transportation can give him some encouraging news, Orlando may not be an option, either. :(

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized that... but anyway, as MKT said, it's difficult to move around by bus, but not impossible. And if he leaves work after 10 PM, then there are no buses at all.

WDW77

Ryan,

I too am visually impaired and will be seeking a professional position with Disney. I am going to be moving there in the fall to attend the Rosen College for my Masters in Hospitality and Tourism Management. I think we might be able to help each other. I have conducted extensive research in the area of Disney employment as well as living and transportation.

tinkerbell88

Hello,

I'm recently unemployed. Yeah, fun having your job outsourced to somewhere far far away. Anyway, just as a slight possibility, I want to apply for some WDW professional jobs. It seems that the mouse has some great opportunities that would fit my resume. However, I don't drive, and never will.

Now I need to ask, does anyone on these boards live, work, and play in Orlando without a car? Or, do you know someone who does this? Even better, know anyone who is blind or visually impaired that does this? That's my situation.

Now, I've heard about the Lynx transportation system. I even visited their website. However, what is the true extent of their service? Can a professional work at WDW and use this system to get to apartments out in Orlando or a surrounding location? How much of a pain is it to use? Waiting more than 45 minutes for a bus is quite painful. I come from Chicago, I know, I'm spoiled with the CTA.

I'm actually looking to have a conversation with anyone who may have a true experience in this area. I need to pick someone's brain, because if this is actually possible, why should I deny myself the opportunity due to ignorance of the local area?

Ryan
I am doing the career start program and you stay in an apartment and go to work and they have buses that take you to work to the mall to the convience stores and anywhere really. You can defiantley work in disney without a car.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom