with young kids, DDP or no DDP?

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
What's your thought process on getting the DDP with young children?

We will have 3 adults, a 4 year old with special needs and a 22 month old. On one hand, the regular DDP is what we usually get and would give us well planned and much needed breaks from the park with good food. On the other hand, I'm hesitant to schedule dining reservations 180 days in advance for young children who may or may not be cranky, happy, tired, asleep, hyper, wet, dry, hungry, or fuIll at whatever time and place I thought 6 months ago sounded good. Then it comes down to paying $50 to skip a dining reservation that the toddler Gods decided we shouldn't make.

So, to DDP or not to DDP? QS DDP?

mouse_luv

This is ultimately going to be up to you. Just know that the 22 mo old will not have a DDP(they can eat off an adult's plate for free), just the 4 yo and up. If it was me I would not and would just play it by ear unless there are def some TS restaurants you want to go to and so then make ADR's for them to pay OOP. Make sure on those days the kids have a mid day break or something so they aren't tired/cranky/whatever at the ADR. That's my best advice. :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
You can make ADRs and cancel or change them closer to your trip. I'd make them now just in case. You don't need the dining plan to make ADRs and you can add the plan you want if you want closer to your trip. We've done a few trips with only a couple of ADRs and mostly qs and had a wonderful time. Also do the math before adding a dining plan. You may save money by skipping it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I haven't used DDP in years. IMO it doesn't work financially unless your dining style matches their dining pattern. It pays to do the math. If you're not sure how the math will work out because of young kids and what their mood will be on any given day, I'd skip it or downgrade to the QS plan, which has more flexibility without tying you down to possibly unachievable TS ADRs.

Whatever you go with, when taking young children, pace your vacation to their needs. Attacking the parks commando-style is rarely successful with little ones.

DisneyFans4Life

The 22 month old wouldn't be an issue because they will be able to eat off your plate, but you would need to pay for the 4 year old. I know kids that age can be picky eaters (even off the kid's menu), so paying for the DDP may not be worth it. I'd look to see if there are any restaurants you absolutely want to eat at, book the ADR, and then decide later if the DDP is worth it.

My wife and I and our 2 year old are going in March (with the DDP), but we planned our dinners at the more expensive restaurants to make it worth it. If I recall correctly, we're paying something like $63 per person per day for the plan, so we didn't want to waste a TS credit on a meal that would only run me about $20...there's no way I'd make up the other $43 in lunch and snacks.

As the others have said...go ahead and make your ADRs now because you can cancel them 24 hours before the reservation time at no charge and can always add the DDP later on.

jenos0524

The 22 month old wouldn't be an issue because they will be able to eat off your plate, but you would need to pay for the 4 year old. I know kids that age can be picky eaters (even off the kid's menu), so paying for the DDP may not be worth it. I'd look to see if there are any restaurants you absolutely want to eat at, book the ADR, and then decide later if the DDP is worth it.

My wife and I and our 2 year old are going in March (with the DDP), but we planned our dinners at the more expensive restaurants to make it worth it. If I recall correctly, we're paying something like $63 per person per day for the plan, so we didn't want to waste a TS credit on a meal that would only run me about $20...there's no way I'd make up the other $43 in lunch and snacks.

As the others have said...go ahead and make your ADRs now because you can cancel them 24 hours before the reservation time at no charge and can always add the DDP later on.

To add to this... I did do the research and it is approx $63 a day for an adult. (I think kids are less, but my daughter will still be under 3 when I go) If you figure everything out perfectly and use your QS meal (make sure it is $18-$20 worth) Then for your Snack at most will be valued at $5. That leaves you with your dinner.. Which after the max $25 used on the other 2 credits leave you with $38 that you need to spend at every sit down meal... Most restaurants have options ranging from $20-$35 so of course if you plan on buying that $35 entree at every place it may be worth it. but If you want to eat the chicken/pizza/burger/pasta that only cost $20 then you order a desert that cost $5 and a drink $3 you are actually losing $10 a day (per person) but on the other hand if you want the high end steaks, seafood and get an entree that is $30 plus the $5 desert and $3 drink you just break even... but thats still if you get a $5 snack food and a $20 QS meal. (Snacks can cost as little as $2) and then i saw some QS meals that only cost $10. In the end it is not worth it to me. Even with my daughter being free.

The only advantage to the DDP is that you can "Pre'Pay" for the food. Just remember that the tip is not included in the DDP. so at the end of the meal you will still have to pay money, so IMO that defeats the purpose of pre-paying the meal. My advice is to make all your ADR's and you can cancel them as long as you give more than 24 hour notice. See how the first two days go and if they are rough you can just cancel the rest. if they go smoothly, then you know you can enjoy all your meals.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Excellent points, all of you, thank you!

We have done the DDP on our past 5 trips (3 during free dining) and we've always come out ahead. The DDP matches our vacation dining preferences - we tend to eat at the more expensive restaurants and eat the most expensive menu items. We like the DDP because without pre-paying, we'd order cheaper things and occasionally skip dessert. It's our way of forcing ourselves to splurge since we are generally frugal. Now, we are just in the habit of getting the DDP. We are going during what should be free dining but I know it will likely be free dining or a room discount choice.

I just hate the idea of possibly having to cancel dining reservations last minute because it doesn't meet the needs of my 4 year old. She is high functioning with autism and sensory issues and we absolutely must tour the parks at her pace if we want any chance of success. I can already picture the "I want to go back to the hotel" melt down 30 minutes before our dinner reservation in the park. I understand why Disney needs to enforce their cancellation policy but it just may not work for our family.

I think what I may do is hope its free dining or a room discount, take the room discount, and then put "dining plan" money on a gift card so I have it prepaid in my head. Maybe I'll book some sit downs and cancel/change with 24 hours as the vacation goes and hope for the best.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Excellent points, all of you, thank you!

We have done the DDP on our past 5 trips (3 during free dining) and we've always come out ahead. The DDP matches our vacation dining preferences - we tend to eat at the more expensive restaurants and eat the most expensive menu items. We like the DDP because without pre-paying, we'd order cheaper things and occasionally skip dessert. It's our way of forcing ourselves to splurge since we are generally frugal. Now, we are just in the habit of getting the DDP. We are going during what should be free dining but I know it will likely be free dining or a room discount choice.

I just hate the idea of possibly having to cancel dining reservations last minute because it doesn't meet the needs of my 4 year old. She is high functioning with autism and sensory issues and we absolutely must tour the parks at her pace if we want any chance of success. I can already picture the "I want to go back to the hotel" melt down 30 minutes before our dinner reservation in the park. I understand why Disney needs to enforce their cancellation policy but it just may not work for our family.

I think what I may do is hope its free dining or a room discount, take the room discount, and then put "dining plan" money on a gift card so I have it prepaid in my head. Maybe I'll book some sit downs and cancel/change with 24 hours as the vacation goes and hope for the best.
Gift cards are great! If you have the Target Red card or a Sam's membership you can get discounted gift cards that way. My older ds is also high functioning autistic but he's much older so we know what and when to expect certain things so planning is much easier for us. We can finally make ADRs without worry. get a GAC even if you don't need it it's a good just in case thing to have.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Gift cards are great! If you have the Target Red card or a Sam's membership you can get discounted gift cards that way. My older ds is also high functioning autistic but he's much older so we know what and when to expect certain things so planning is much easier for us. We can finally make ADRs without worry. get a GAC even if you don't need it it's a good just in case thing to have.

Thank you! We will definitely be getting one for her. Thanks for the tip - I have a target red card but thought the 5% off didn't apply to gift cards. Have you used it successfully on gift cards?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thank you! We will definitely be getting one for her. Thanks for the tip - I have a target red card but thought the 5% off didn't apply to gift cards. Have you used it successfully on gift cards?
Yes with no problem! I get the Disney gift cards (I think it's 1000 per day limit) walk to customer service and pay the credit card. You can pay for your room with those cards Disney will be happy to sit with you on the phone while you read off the card numbers. A penny saved is a penny extra for disney LOL

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Yes with no problem! I get the Disney gift cards (I think it's 1000 per day limit) walk to customer service and pay the credit card. You can pay for your room with those cards Disney will be happy to sit with you on the phone while you read off the card numbers. A penny saved is a penny extra for disney LOL
Love it, I'll totally do that!

Does anyone have any idea if the cast members have any flexibility on waiving the fee for same day reservation cancellations? Would explaining the situation with the accompanying DAC pass maybe give them room to waive it?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Love it, I'll totally do that!

Does anyone have any idea if the cast members have any flexibility on waiving the fee for same day reservation cancellations? Would explaining the situation with the accompanying DAC pass maybe give them room to waive it?
A friend of mine got it waved when one of her kids got sick and they were room bound so there is some flexibility. I think it might be up to mgt.

jenos0524

I think Gift Cards are great, this may be to late to start now, but you can start now for your next trip... My CC gets money back and I just never get the money back, i just save it and load it up. Currently I have $750-$800 on it. Since I charge $400 a month from disney to my CC i am still gaining a ton of points until the trip is paid off, but by the time I go I will have close to $900 in rewards, all my charges will go to my CC from my trip, (more points added to my card) and when my trip is over. I will pay off all the charges I racked up with my money back on my CC. Of course I haven't taken any money back on my credit card in 2/3 years, I use to have them send a check every time it hit $200. But i decided a few years ago I would just build it up. (So I am technically pre-paid now)

Also another tip if you are frugal with your money if you order the more expensive meals you still should be tipping based on what it should cost... I understand enjoying expensive meals and having desert, but do you really need desert at every meal? I personally will split a desert with my wife and daughter one night, and the next maybe split an appetizer. That way we get to enjoy every thing...

I wish disney went back to the DDP including an appetizer and desert for every meal. That then would make it worth it.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
I think Gift Cards are great, this may be to late to start now, but you can start now for your next trip... My CC gets money back and I just never get the money back, i just save it and load it up. Currently I have $750-$800 on it. Since I charge $400 a month from disney to my CC i am still gaining a ton of points until the trip is paid off, but by the time I go I will have close to $900 in rewards, all my charges will go to my CC from my trip, (more points added to my card) and when my trip is over. I will pay off all the charges I racked up with my money back on my CC. Of course I haven't taken any money back on my credit card in 2/3 years, I use to have them send a check every time it hit $200. But i decided a few years ago I would just build it up. (So I am technically pre-paid now)

Also another tip if you are frugal with your money if you order the more expensive meals you still should be tipping based on what it should cost... I understand enjoying expensive meals and having desert, but do you really need desert at every meal? I personally will split a desert with my wife and daughter one night, and the next maybe split an appetizer. That way we get to enjoy every thing...

I wish disney went back to the DDP including an appetizer and desert for every meal. That then would make it worth it.

I have the Disney Premier Visa and do this as well. We currently have $900 for this trip in Disney Dollars. Love the Disney Visa.

Maybe I missed something, your statement confused me. When deciding how much to tip, I look at the bill and tip based on what the bill was (regardless of the fact that we paid with the dining plan). I think that's what you were saying as well. The fact that this isn't common sense to people blows my mind.

Need to have dessert at every meal? Of course not. Want to have dessert at every meal? On vacation - absolutely yes. :)

jenos0524

I have the Disney Premier Visa and do this as well. We currently have $900 for this trip in Disney Dollars. Love the Disney Visa.

Maybe I missed something, your statement confused me. When deciding how much to tip, I look at the bill and tip based on what the bill was (regardless of the fact that we paid with the dining plan). I think that's what you were saying as well. The fact that this isn't common sense to people blows my mind.

Need to have dessert at every meal? Of course not. Want to have dessert at every meal? On vacation - absolutely yes. :)
Yes on the tip... I think some people say oh food is paid for ill just leave $XX amount. (No, you should be leaving XX% on the amount the food cost. I have always tipped well so I cant stand people who under tip, (especially when i split the bill with someone who doesn't tip well) and by well I mean only 20% not the 15% most people do. I've gone out with people who leave like 5%, needless to say I have never gone out with them again. (I think I tipped 30% that night to make up for it)

Weather_Lady

You only "save" money on the DDP if you are the kind of person who would already order everything it offers (e.g., a dessert with every meal, a fountain drink with every meal, no one over the age of 9 ordering from a CS kids' menu, etc.), and if you confine yourself to the most expensive dishes at the most expensive 1-credit TS restaurants.

If you would prefer to order and eat less, or to eat differently (e.g., if you're like my family and prefer to drink water, and maybe have a salad or an appetizer instead of an entree, or have a 10-year-old - an "adult" for DDP purposes - who sometimes prefers a kids' menu option to an adult entree), then out-of-pocket is the way to go. Ditto if you want to experience one or more signature dining experiences or dinner shows (e.g., California Grill, Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue, Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table), since the cost of those meals in real life is rarely "double" that of a 1-credit restaurant, so paying twice as many dining credits for them gives you far less bang for your DDP buck.

I'm a huge fan of the calculator at distripplanner.com -- if you know which restaurants you want to experience, plug them into the calculator and see whether the DDP is a good value for you. (Keep in mind that the calculator does build certain "assumptions" into the analysis that might not be true for you -- e.g., it assumes everyone at the table will order a beverage.)

Last edited:

jenos0524

You only "save" money on the DDP if you are the kind of person who would already order everything it offers (e.g., a dessert with every meal, a fountain drink with every meal, no one over the age of 9 ordering from a CS kids' menu, etc.), and if you confine yourself to the most expensive dishes at the most expensive 1-credit TS restaurants.

If you would prefer to order and eat less, or to eat differently (e.g., if you're like my family and prefer to drink water, and maybe have a salad or an appetizer instead of an entree, or have a 10-year-old (an "adult" for DDP purposes) who sometimes prefers a kids' menu option to an adult entree), then out-of-pocket is the way to go. Ditto if you want to experience one or more signature dining experiences or dinner shows (e.g., California Grill, Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue, Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table), since the cost of those meals in real life is rarely "double" that of a 1-credit restaurant, so paying twice as many dining credits for them gives you far less bang for your DDP buck.

I'm a huge fan of the calculator at distripplanner.com -- if you know which restaurants you want to experience, plug them into the calculator and see whether the DDP is a good value for you. (Keep in mind that the calculator does build certain "assumptions" into the analysis that might not be true for you -- e.g., it assumes everyone at the table will order a beverage.)

That site is GREAT!!! I know I did the math, but going through it i entered a lot of of the places we want to eat. I am going to save about $400 by not getting the DDP. (thats prob a little less as I do not know which QS meals i am going to eat at yet so I didn't enter in all of them.) My family is like yours and will order water at most meals, maybe juice/milk for my daughter. Thanks for your post!

DrummerAlly

Original Poster

If you would prefer to order and eat less, or to eat differently (e.g., if you're like my family and prefer to drink water, and maybe have a salad or an appetizer instead of an entree, or have a 10-year-old - an "adult" for DDP purposes - who sometimes prefers a kids' menu option to an adult entree), then out-of-pocket is the way to go. Ditto if you want to experience one or more signature dining experiences or dinner shows (e.g., California Grill, Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue, Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table), since the cost of those meals in real life is rarely "double" that of a 1-credit restaurant, so paying twice as many dining credits for them gives you far less bang for your DDP buck.

Yeah - I totally agree with you. Like I said earlier, we've done the DDP for the past 5 trips and it saves us money because we enjoy eating everything it offers, eat the most expensive meals, and eat at the most expensive restaurants on vacation. We don't eat this way without the DDP, but we like doing it with it. We actually tend to buy the DDP, full knowing that we'd spend less without it, because it forces us a bit more to really vacation right.

My original question was a bit different, its not necessarily about cost. I was really just asking whether people find that the DDP is too restrictive for them on vacation with young children. I'm really skeptical about being bound to a table service dining reservation each night. How do I know my kids won't want to be napping, resting at the hotel, too cranky for a restaurant, etc.? At the same time, we definitely want to plan on slowing down and enjoying nice meals with them. So, I'm just torn.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster

Oooooh, just threw in a conservative estimate for our dining in to the calculator. Very, very cool. Looks like the DDP would save us $212.20. Sigh... maybe I'll just do it anyway.

SAV

We don't do TS meals, so we prefer to just pay out of pocket when we eat. If we do choose a sit down meal, we tend to use our Disney Reward points towards it, so we aren't paying a large bill out of pocket. Makes us feel less guilty for spending so much $$ on food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom