With Epcot’s Fountain Of Nations closing....

Nottamus

Original Poster
In reading the article, I learned that not only was the fountain dedicated by Walt’s widow Lillian Disney, but it had 23 people from their respective Nation’s water poured in on opening.

To me, it was a really cool fountain that synchronized to music, a great photo op, a cooling mist on a hot day, an awesome centerpiece to that area of Epcot.

Maybe there was a sign that stated this that I missed. But if there wasn’t..there should have been

My question is, was this all common knowledge?

epcotisbest

I don't know if the closing was common knowledge or not, but I do think the fountain and music show will be sorely missed.
It is one of those things that makes Epcot special, something we always enjoyed and found the time to watch just about every visit.
Of course, there are plenty of people who just walk right on by, not knowing, or caring that it is much more than just a fountain.

awoogala

In reading the article, I learned that not only was the fountain dedicated by Walt’s widow Lillian Disney, but it had 23 people from their respective Nation’s water poured in on opening.

To me, it was a really cool fountain that synchronized to music, a great photo op, a cooling mist on a hot day, an awesome centerpiece to that area of Epcot.

Maybe there was a sign that stated this that I missed. But if there wasn’t..there should have been

I don't know how "common" it is- this site isn't exactly made up of regular attendees. We tend to be extra knowledgeable about Disney history. I've always known it, I've seen it in many documentaries/Walt shows, Old b&w footage, etc.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I don't know if the closing was common knowledge or not, but I do think the fountain and music show will be sorely missed.
It is one of those things that makes Epcot special, something we always enjoyed and found the time to watch just about every visit.
Of course, there are plenty of people who just walk right on by, not knowing, or caring that it is much more than just a fountain.

And that's good enough justification for today's Disney. What a joke! Removal should only be acceptable provided an equally worthy addition be added to the new hub at a later time. It's disrespectful to the Legacy of Disney (Lillian) and EPCOT. I pray this park can course-correct, under the Bobs nothing is safe.

Mickey5150

I definitely knew that the fountain was filled with water from various countries but I don't know if there is a sign pointing that out. I got a lot of WDW history from Jack Spence when he was blogging on allears.net.

awoogala

And that's good enough justification for today's Disney. What a joke! Removal should only be acceptable provided an equally worthy addition be added to the new hub at a later time. It's disrespectful to the Legacy of Disney (Lillian) and EPCOT. I pray this park can course-correct, under the Bobs nothing is safe.
Sadly, I've seen more people upset about the Starbucks closing.

Cmdr_Crimson

I definitely knew that the fountain was filled with water from various countries but I don't know if there is a sign pointing that out. I got a lot of WDW history from Jack Spence when he was blogging on allears.net.
There was post from the parks blog with 2 documented photos..

Nottamus

Original Poster
my first trip in 98, I remember walking by and noticing how it synced with music, and I just stood there in awe. I mean, it’s more common now, but that was the first music/fountain I had seen.
Noticed I was the only one standing there...everyone else just walked by.

I am going to miss it...I seem to always stop every trip at least once to relax a bit, and watch the show. That being said, I am also very much looking forward to the whole “new” area planned for there.

Mickey5150

Mickey5150

I hope with all the changes to Epcot we can get a Bathroom of Nations filled with non potable water from all the countries of World Showcase.

JIMINYCR

I have read many books & articles about WDW and knew about the water ceremony. That fountain was always a wonderful sight and its a shame if its torn out and not replaced by something more spectacular. Sigggh...I hate these kinds of changes.

Cmdr_Crimson

With the Gamma concept which surely will change to reflect what we've seen 2 years ago..It seems they are trying to go a Bellagio route from what is shown at the bottom for a water based show..
fw.jpg

roj2323

Personally I’m looking forward to the entire area being bulldozed. As it is currently, it’s tired, boring and a sad reminder of what we have lost. My hope is what replaces it will give the park new life and be an example of the original vision, just in a modern form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom