With Disneyland Paris announcing the closure date and re-theme of Rock N Roller Coaster, is WDW next?

dennis-in-ct

a bit of a different situation IMO. It was a portrayal of a fictional character, not the actor and no speaking role in the ride (I'm assuming just Robin Williams is in the queue who's deceased?)

Yes Robin Williams and Eric Idle have large portraits in the queue. Good point about being fictional characters but it always strikes me as sad when I see their photos.
Wait ... are you saying the Monty Python guy is alive ? I thought he was DEAD (“but I’m feeling better”. whacks on head)

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

For me, personally, I find the ride to be pretty boring. I like Aerosmith, but they don't do anything for me and the whole pre-show and theme is so lame. I would love a more interesting re-theme. I also don't love the coaster, so anything to make it all more fun would be a plus to me.
Please make up your mind...."I like Aerosmith, but they don't do anything for me"...either you like them or you don't.."I also don't love the coaster"...the footprint of the coaster wouldn't change, just the overlays. I happen to love the coaster the way it is and my 18 & 20 y.o. DD's love it too (even though they're not Aerosmith fans, but are familiar with their music). Don't change what IS in the parks..just ADD to what is in the parks. When the licencing agreement comes up, THEN it could be discussed...but until then, leave well enough alone.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Please make up your mind...."I like Aerosmith, but they don't do anything for me"...either you like them or you don't.."I also don't love the coaster"...the footprint of the coaster wouldn't change, just the overlays. I happen to love the coaster the way it is and my 18 & 20 y.o. DD's love it too (even though they're not Aerosmith fans, but are familiar with their music). Don't change what IS in the parks..just ADD to what is in the parks. When the licencing agreement comes up, THEN it could be discussed...but until then, leave well enough alone.

Your tone feels a little aggressive, but all the same, my mind is quite set. I like some of their music, I like the band. I like lots of things that don't spark any type of excitement or intrigue when I encounter it (or in this case, them). There's a difference to walking into a ride themed to something you really enjoy to something that evokes neutrality. Especially when, on top of that, it feels very dated/lame.

I understand we're talking about a re-theme. I personally find the coaster a little too short and dull. However, a large part of that is all you are doing is traveling in the dark and seeing weirdly lit up signs and such once in a while. If, instead, you were traveling very quickly through an Incredibles action scene or the Cave from Aladdin - that could become very exciting, even with the same track.

Anyway, that's what I meant. I agree adding to the parks is always preferred, but there's also damage done to leaving rides and areas to age and rot over time (that said, I don't think RnR is anywhere near the top of the list of areas in WDW that need updating, but it's def on my list).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes Robin Williams and Eric Idle have large portraits in the queue. Good point about being fictional characters but it always strikes me as sad when I see their photos.
Wait ... are you saying the Monty Python guy is alive ? I thought he was DEAD (“but I’m feeling better”. whacks on head)

Yep, he is alive and actually just had Adam Savage make a guitar case for him

DisneyDodo

I see RnRC and Dinosaur as being in similar situations - the rides themselves are quality and still popular, but they may end up needing to be rethemed/replaced as part of a larger project encompassing the surrounding land

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm starting to get worried about Stephen Tyler though, I didn't see him in any terrible Super Bowl ads this year (or did I miss it?)

DisneyCane

I'm starting to get worried about Stephen Tyler though, I didn't see him in any terrible Super Bowl ads this year (or did I miss it?)
He wasn't in any but Aerosmith is about to start an 18 date residency between April and mid July at the Park Theatre in Las Vegas.

I'm pretty sure that Aerosmith is the only band to still be comprised of the original members after more than 30 years (It's been over 48 years since their first concert). There was a brief period when Joe Perry left but they got it back together in the early 80's. Quite rare for a band to have that kind of stability.

Also, his name is spelled "Steven" not "Stephen." The latter would be like Curry that plays for Golden State.

wdrive

That's really odd. The preshow for it when I was there in March was exactly the same one as in Florida. Same sound booth, same video, same band, same manager calling a limo... I even filmed it because I thought it was hilarious that it was the same thing. Saw it one time in English and another overdubbed in French. The loading area was a little different, but not enough to make a difference. And I remember the music just as well.

wonder if they weren't running the preshow and had the music down for you for early entry, but that's the only guess I have, and not a clue why they would do that.

Are you sure? Do you have that video?

The Pho

He wasn't in any but Aerosmith is about to start an 18 date residency between April and mid July at the Park Theatre in Las Vegas.

I'm pretty sure that Aerosmith is the only band to still be comprised of the original members after more than 30 years (It's been over 48 years since their first concert). There was a brief period when Joe Perry left but they got it back together in the early 80's. Quite rare for a band to have that kind of stability.

Also, his name is spelled "Steven" not "Stephen." The latter would be like Curry that plays for Golden State.
ZZ Top actually holds that record, 50 years and no line up changes. Golden Earring holds second place.

Rebel_

I think it would make all the sense in the world to expand the Pixar presence in DHS. There are any number of tie-ins that would work.

The Pho

Hmmm Rocketeer...Set in 1938 Hollywood...next to the Hollywood Tower Hotel which was abandoned in 1939....Ding Ding Ding...there is actually a cohesive (sort of) match for the end of Sunset Boulevard....

It would only be cohesive if they reworked Tower then as well. You’re visiting the hotel decades after it was abandoned. Sunset Boulevard is set well after the 30’s.

Re-theme it. Aerosmith in Golden/Silver Age Hollywood never made sense anyway.

The street isn’t set in the Golden Age of Hollywood. It was abandoned in 1939 after the incident at Tower, which was “a long time ago”. The story is basically that G Force Records revitalized the area (not perfect but better than classic rock in the 30s).

Last edited:

Bocabear

It would only be cohesive if they reworked Tower then as well. You’re visiting the hotel decades after it was abandoned. Sunset Boulevard is set well after the 30’s.

The street isn’t the set in the Golden Age of Hollywood. It was abandoned in 1939 after the incident at Tower, which was “a long time ago”. The story is basically that G Force records revitalized the area (not perfect but better than classic rock in the 30s).
that's why I said Cohesive (sort of)...at least it is from a similar era...instead of 1940s Hollywood and then a current day roller coaster to a rock concert...According to the architecture and the streetmosphere performers, Hollywood Blvd and Sunset are placed somewhere in the 40s...not current day.

SteamboatJoe

The street isn’t set in the Golden Age of Hollywood. It was abandoned in 1939 after the incident at Tower, which was “a long time ago”. The story is basically that G Force Records revitalized the area (not perfect but better than classic rock in the 30s).

A plausible explanation but it doesn't read that way. ...at least not to me. I don't think I'd like that theme even if it did. I could see it with Grand Avenue or Muppet Courtyard, but not this area.

The Pho

A plausible explanation but it doesn't read that way. ...at least not to me. I don't think I'd like that theme even if it did. I could see it with Grand Avenue or Muppet Courtyard, but not this area.
I think that’s the main problem with these back stories. Disney hides them too much, they really should display the history they’ve written a little more clearly, not huge plaques or anything but something more. Maybe a button within My Disney Experience or PlayDisney. Like the whole rivalry aspect to Dinoland makes the whole thing flow better than the random carnival most people see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom