With Disney buying Marvel what park in WDW will be impacted by this?

PirateFrank

To anyone that felt that Disney was not in a position to exert considerable force on Universal.....they need to read the above.

Perhaps, in the short term, the status quo remains. But I highly doubt that Universal will want to maintain their participation of this contract with Disney now inheriting audit rights over some of Uni's finances to ensure Uni is paying the appropriate percentages in fees.

So not only does Universal have to continue paying Disney (which explodes the theory that Uni paid off Marvel completely before Disney purchased Marvel)....but they have to PROVE they're paying the right amount.

The very last thing I would want, from an operational perspective, is my direct competitor having access to my internal financials and budget calculations.

This suggests to me that retheming the Marvel attractions (and subsequently backing out of the licensing agreement) will become just as much a priority for Uni as Harry Potter is.

As I already stated before.....advantage Disney!

Thrill Seeker

Yes it does. Quite nicely.

And yes, "awkward" is a good word to describe the situation.

After reading that, it sounds to me like Universal is going to try to phase out Marvel as fast as possible. Disney will pretty much control the island as long as Marvel remains there. There will be no new attractions, Disney can prevent Universal from using Marvel characters for advertising and I'm sure Uni will decide that they don't want to give Disney money...

I would love to see some kind of deal where Disney Cast Members/Marvel Employees can gain access to that island for free... :D

thepol

Universal Studios

Are there not Marvel character based rides in universal and will they have to pay Disney royalties for them now??

Testtrack321

Are there not Marvel character based rides in universal and will they have to pay Disney royalties for them now??

Yes, though we don't know the full extent of the contract right now. The only thing I've heard that's "solid" is that Universal owns the rights to Marvel amusement park stuff east of the Mississippi and in Japan.

SirGoofy

Yes, though we don't know the full extent of the contract right now. The only thing I've heard that's "solid" is that Universal owns the rights to Marvel amusement park stuff east of the Mississippi and in Japan.

But we don't know if it's for all the characters, or just ones that already have attractions.

bryPOD

Don't think this has been discussed, but after reading that article and knowing that IOA no longer has the right as of 2007 to have walk around characters, can Disney have the Marvel characters do meet and greets in the parks?

I can already picture Spidey on New York Street...

The Conundrum

Don't think this has been discussed, but after reading that article and knowing that IOA no longer has the right as of 2007 to have walk around characters, can Disney have the Marvel characters do meet and greets in the parks?

I can already picture Spidey on New York Street...

False. IOA did not loose the rights they had the charecters there just last weekend

Anyone else want a Howard the Duck walk around charecter?

disneyandmarveldonaldpi.jpg

KevGuy

I think Disney should just buy the rights to all the DC super heroes as it would be pretty cheap as 6 flags is always on the border of bankruptcy etc. anyway and then corner the entire super hero market. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom