• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

With Disney being more sensitive, will attractions still try to be funny?

durangojim

Original Poster
Not looking for a debate on whether the changes to rides are right or wrong, but I am wondering how this will affect the humor of many attractions going forward. I know and understand that humor does not need to be offensive, but I think it may be fair to say that quite a bit of humor can be offensive to some even though it is not meant to be. So will future Disney attractions be less funny even though Disney might still try to make them humorous?

SteveAZee

Not looking for a debate on whether the changes to rides are right or wrong, but I am wondering how this will affect the humor of many attractions going forward. I know and understand that humor does not need to be offensive, but I think it may be fair to say that quite a bit of humor can be offensive to some even though it is not meant to be. So will future Disney attractions be less funny even though Disney might still try to make them humorous?
I think it's relatively easy to be funny without being offensive. That said, it's really hard to know for certain that what we find funny 2021 will still be considered inoffensive in 20 or 50 years. You can only deal with the here and now, but yes.. humor will still be a part of Disney attractions.

"El Scorpion"

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yes. That's the quick answer. At least in my opinion. Putting aside my thoughts/views on the matter - I think every company will be very vigilant in analyzing what is out for public consumption.

That being said, I think Disney will still try and interject humor. Its the risque, borderline, sometimes tongue-and-cheek material that will be impacted.

Big Phil

The world is much less funny these days. Even compared to 20 years ago. Comedy on television is not what it used to be. There isn't anything that someone won't find offensive these days. People can find Carousel of Progress or Country Bear Jamboree's innocent jokes offensive.

Sharon&Susan

Yep. Just slap the muppets over anything currently offensive and it should be alright. (And I'm not even joking)
1617851656195.png

Tom Morrow

"People find everything offensive these days!" = "why can't I continue making racist jokes without repercussions?"

You guys crack me up and really show your age. In the era of shows like Big Mouth on Netflix being smash hits, you REALLY think people are just that sensitive these days? In terms of mature material, Big Mouth makes South Park look PG-13. The difference is it doesn't pull its humor from racist/sexist roots (and neither does South Park... anymore).

Giss Neric

I miss the 90s and early 2000s. Simpler times.

I remember going on County Bear Jamboree and you could hear this Karen complaining about the lyrics "All the Guys That Turn Me On Turn Me Down". She and the rest of her party stood up in the middle of the show and left. I don't wanna judge but I'm judging. I immediately knew she was one of those SJWs cause they all have weirdly rainbow colored hair.

Amidala

"People find everything offensive these days!" = "why can't I continue making racist jokes without repercussions?"

You guys crack me up and really show your age. In the era of shows like Big Mouth on Netflix being smash hits, you REALLY think people are just that sensitive these days? In terms of mature material, Big Mouth makes South Park look PG-13. The difference is it doesn't pull its humor from racist/sexist roots (and neither does South Park... anymore).

I feel like it's never occurred to many older generations that the groups targeted by these jokes (usually racial minorities, women, etc.) were just as uncomfortable with them 30+ years ago as they are now. The difference is that social media has given them a platform to communicate their discomfort and corporations are taking note and making adjustments that frankly should've been made ages ago. The gag about women being trafficked in PotC isn't funny in 2021 and it wasn't funny in the 60s either. Punch up not down is a good general rule of thumb imo.

But yes, it's possible to be funny (even inappropriately funny) without causing offense, especially with a ride like Jungle Cruise. Most of the cheesy puns on JC are funny and iconic on their own merit, without needing to lean on racial stereotypes to get a laugh. It's only a handful of scenes/gags that need to be swapped out, not the ride in its entirety.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's like when Mr Hankey first appeared parents were appalled that they made fecal matter talk......Now we have games, toys and other such nonsense of the #2 it's perfectly okay..
wU0XOu2.gif

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
The world is much less funny these days. Even compared to 20 years ago. Comedy on television is not what it used to be. There isn't anything that someone won't find offensive these days. People can find Carousel of Progress or Country Bear Jamboree's innocent jokes offensive.
Is it the World or is it you that's less funny these days?

JIMINYCR

I think it's relatively easy to be funny without being offensive. That said, it's really hard to know for certain that what we find funny 2021 will still be considered inoffensive in 20 or 50 years. You can only deal with the here and now, but yes.. humor will still be a part of Disney attractions.
There has been a multitude of comedians from the past who spent their entire careers being funny without swearing, being offensive or crude. Society just started allowing more and more questionable material creep into movies, sitcoms and all entertainment fields til it desensitized us and now we see the results.
I never found Disneys humor to be offensive, but now that Disney has started down the woke path, they will be screening out every nuance of every script, spiel, attraction element, theme, to keep from having any group point fingers. Now that they have buckled under, there will be more changes to come. Disney will find a way to include humor into attractions but I'm afraid it will be very juvenile and sophomoric.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom