Trip Report With a little bit of Pixie Dust...we made it to Batuu!

Hi all, super excited (and nervous) to be doing my first (pre) trip report!
I absolutely love reading others trip reports on here and with the help and encouragement of @Darstarr decided to give it a go!
This trip took some serious magic to come to fruition, and makes looking forward to it all the sweeter. Fun fact, this trip was arranged with a 2 week time window, as explained below.

I apologize ahead of time for the long winded explanation of how it is we will be traveling to Galaxy's Edge, but here it is!

Some back story to this unexpected trip, (and to explain the pixie dust part). We were at Disney in December of 18, and did not think we would make it back this year as my daughter will be getting married this October. But, we are annual passholders and I heard there would be an AP preview for GE, reportedly for people who have activated AP's. (This is where the pixie dust will come into play).
I started following the blogs much more closely. Why the blogs? Because we rarely to never get any communication from AP or DVC and no matter how many times I've chatted with their IT department has it been resolved.
And, sure enough the day the registration opened I didn't get an email from Disney, but got a notice from one of the blogs I follow.

So I jump on the link and there were all kinds of spots available, and I got my husband and I a slot to see GE and make a lightsaber! So exciting!
Now is where it starts to get more complicated. My 19 year old son who previously wasn't sure he wanted to go, now said he would love to go once he realized we were going. :confused:
So I start reading comments from several people who had been able to get a reservation, that they were able to buy an AP that morning and use it (unactivated) to register for the GE preview. (It wouldn't have mattered one way or the other, but I thought my sons AP was renewable but it had expired).

I go onto the website to try to buy a pass. But the pass would not stay in my cart. I call Disney and some how end up with a pleasant reservation lady who says it's true, you can buy a pass and link it for the preview. (She actually put me on hold and checked and said reservations were still available for GE, let's do this)!

So, she takes my credit card info for $950 (we're DVC), and then neither of us can link it to my account and I end being transferred to the AP IT people. They finally get it linked and, you guessed it, the reservations were now closed because at that point I had been on the phone 2 separate times, once for 1 hour 15 min, and the second 1 hour and 48 min (no joke). So at that point I figure we're not going if we can't all go and I (naively) ask them to refund the cost of the AP and cancel it. (They misinterpreted what I said and thought I asked for their first born). So, apparently this isn't done and I get told because we're DVC I have to talk to them. That lady at DVC thought I asked for 2 of her children and said I needed to talk to guest services. She in turn thought I was speaking a foreign language because she said if I wasn't currently on property she couldn't help me. So guess who she transfers me to, yep, back to the AP people. :banghead:

But, this is where the magic starts, I'm talking to the AP lady and she says "honey I can't find you in our system at all", of course you can't, almost came out of my mouth. But then, she realized I paid full price and she is the lady you pay payments to for your AP. She asks if I can wait on hold she thinks she can throw some magic my way, and I thought are you serious?! I am now an hour into my 3rd phone call of the day, I am not going anywhere if you can help me! She connects me to guess who, yep, the AP IT people! Aggggghh. But things started to look brighter, because THIS lady told me she couldn't return my money, but could "escalate" our situation to the escalation team, but she couldn't guarantee the outcome.

And now I will apologize again for the incredibly long wind up to the resolution, but we waited for over a week and when I finally had given up that anything positive was going to come of this, I got an email from Hope. That was the name on the email, no lie, and their solution was to add my son to our reservation, and so we are headed to Batuu with less than 2 weeks to plan/schedule etc!

Now, who will be coming along. My son S who started all of the drama.
IMG_1729.JPG

And my husband G and me! Missing this trip is my daughter and her fiance.
IMG_1756.JPG

We will be there Aug 18-21, with our GE preview day on Monday morning. With such late notice, the only place I could find to use our DVC points was at Saratoga Springs. The Tree Houses no less! I have never stayed there before but from the sounds of it we will have plenty of room to spread out!
We are ridiculously excited to have this impromptu trip and can't wait to get there!

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Following! Hope you guys have an awesome time. Can’t wait to see what everyone thinks of Star Wars. The reviews, will help me decide if I want to fight the crowds opening weekend. 😳

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Following! Hope you guys have an awesome time. Can’t wait to see what everyone thinks of Star Wars. The reviews, will help me decide if I want to fight the crowds opening weekend. 😳

Welcome and thanks for following! We are very excited to both see SWGE and to get our Disney fix!
I was so sad before this trip came to fruition, because one of my favorite Disney souvenirs is to make a calendar with this years photos to use as next years. (My husband wasn't too keen on it when I started hammering nails into a hallway door to hang them up)!
But now I'll have a 2020 Disney calendar, and one more nail hole in the door!😈

We will definitely offer our opinion of GE. In the photos and videos I've seen it looks amazing, but I can't imagine with 90-plus degree heat/humidity and crowds that it won't take some of the shine off of it.

DisneyGigi

Welcome and thanks for following! We are very excited to both see SWGE and to get our Disney fix!
I was so sad before this trip came to fruition, because one of my favorite Disney souvenirs is to make a calendar with this years photos to use as next years. (My husband wasn't too keen on it when I started hammering nails into a hallway door to hang them up)!
But now I'll have a 2020 Disney calendar, and one more nail hole in the door!😈

We will definitely offer our opinion of GE. In the photos and videos I've seen it looks amazing, but I can't imagine with 90-plus degree heat/humidity and crowds that it won't take some of the shine off of it.
My hubby can feel you on holes in the wall. I hang tons of stuff downstairs from our trip.

The heat is going to be iffy! We get there next Saturday. August is hot (and September) but it hasn’t stopped us from going every year. I prefer May, heat wise, but hate November, too cold!! Lol-

Have fun, can’t wait to read along when you get there. :)

riverside

Premium Member
Thanks for the info.
And yes I agree. In this era of going green it doesn't make a lot of sense. But, with all of the fun :rolleyes: we had getting to this point, I'll do anything they say to be able to see it!
We're all packed and ready to fly out tomorrow, so excited!
I hope you have a wonderful time!!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
So we made it to Batuu and back!!
(And before I begin the trip report of our fun, if anyone can tell me how to change the category? from Pre-trip to Trip report I would appreciate that)!

DAY 1
Anyway, we were up bright and early for a 7:15am flight to Tampa. As I explained in the pre-trip report, we found airfare from Pittsburgh to Tampa for about a fourth of the cost compared to flying directly to Orlando. There was one critter who was not happy with our departure. His name is Scooby, and he knows when those suitcases come out that he will be staying home.:(
IMG_4055.JPG

But not to worry, he did get a treat from Hollywood Studios, photo to come.

We flew out on time, yeah!! We got into Tampa by 9:30am and as we had arranged for a "skip the counter" pass. We collected our luggage, went straight to the garage, grabbed our car from Alamo with the plan to return it to Disney's Car Care Center. It all went smoothly up to till now.

At this point I have to stop and interject that there were some things that were verrry annoying on this trip that we have never experienced before. (They all involved where we stayed which was the Tree House Villas at Saratoga springs). More info to follow on that. But, the majority of our quick 3 day stay was amazing and worked out really well considering how rapidly we scheduled everything.

We headed north with the help of google maps, which in my opinion is pure magic and has to be one of the greatest inventions, ever!
Anyway, the wheels fell off the planning here a little. The plan was if we got a room ready txt, we were going to swing by a grocery store, grab a few things and put them in the room. I usually use Garden Grocer for deliveries but with the short stay we said "oh we don't need delivery, we'll just grab a few things". Big mistake because the villas are way back in the swamp, oops, backside of Saratoga with very limited ability to get food, etc. easily. There is supposedly a shuttle every 15-20 min that takes you to the main area but we really didn't see it very often.

So, without the room ready txt, we proceeded to the resort check in, and as I was walking in the door got the txt that now our room was ready. We decided to grab some cold items from their little store and headed over to our villa. We got there and none of our magic bands would open the door. There was a bus shuttle stop right there with a phone and we called the front desk who said they would send someone over, "maybe in 20 minutes"! Hello, it's 90 whatever degrees out here, got some cold things we just lugged up the stairs, and did I say we're in the swamp back here? So, eventually the head housekeeper lady finds (read, rescues us), and sends another person over to reprogram the bands. In the meantime we need to get the car to the Car Care Center, it is supposed to be turned in by 1pm.

With all of that taken care of the day starts to improve, with the exception of me getting us lost once (with the Google Maps I love so dearly), by going into the Epcot main gate and the woman there taking pity on us, lets me do a U turn, and we make our way to the Car Care Center to drop the car which is right beside MK.
They were excellent. No problems dropping the car and they gave us a shuttle ride right to the Bay Lake gate, and we walked to the MK.

Finally, we're here!
IMG_4074.JPG

And, greetings from Main Street USA!
IMG_4085.JPG

And now, because we were picked up this morning at 4:45am from the Tree House Villas, to make our 5:20am Magical Express pick up, I am going to take a nap!
Up next, our very excellent late lunch at Skipper Canteen and some fun FastPasses!

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Click the box next to Unwatch on the far right at the top of the page.
Click Edit Thread
This will bring up your title*
Click blue arrow in box on left
Choose Trip Report
Click Save

*You can also change the title of your report before you click Save

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Click the box next to Unwatch on the far right at the top of the page.
Click Edit Thread
This will bring up your title*
Click blue arrow in box on left
Choose Trip Report
Click Save

*You can also change the title of your report before you click Save
Thank you very much!

Megbutnotmegan

Following! Also I completely understand about the Treehouses. We stayed there once. Loved the room but HATED the transportation situation. It’s made us never want to stay at Saratoga again 😕

StitchSNK

Ready to hear about your trip! I'm glad to hear you kept a cool and collected attitude despite some plans not going smoothly!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Excited to follow along!!
Great, thank you!
Following! Also I completely understand about the Treehouses. We stayed there once. Loved the room but HATED the transportation situation. It’s made us never want to stay at Saratoga again 😕
Thanks! And I will say, due to the layout of the resort, we would not choose to stay at Saratoga again (unless it was in a room right near the main building). The Tree House Villas were very spacious, clean, etc. but way too far from civilization! The staff at Saratoga were amazing.
Following along!
Thanks!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Usually I am one of the color coded chart Disney planners. (It makes my family nuts)! But, this trip I decided to try and cool my jets and do minimal planning. I was able to get a few fast passes for each day we were going to visit and only made one dining reservation. This was for Rainforest Cafe at DS which is a favorite of my husband's.

So not being sure when we would get to MK we decided we would see what was available when we got there, and if no table service restaurants had reservations would just eat at a quick service. We found a reservation for Skipper Canteen in 40 minutes. This worked out very well as we were able to grab a few PP photos and my husband was able to pin trade.

I have to divert here a moment to tell about a day on our recent December trip. We had a significant difference of opinion when we were rope dropping MK to get to the Jungle Cruise. As we were zipping up Main Street he said he saw some excellent pins on the cast members lanyard and he wanted to stop and trade. He was not happy with me because I encouraged him to stay with us and then when we got to the entrance to Adventureland, we had to wait another 10 min till they let us in. It was only when he got to trade with (I believe Wendell) was I forgiven. :rolleyes:
IMG_E9569.JPG

Anyway, I wasn't going to make that mistake again! We had plenty of time to meander over to the restaurant.
We were a few minutes early, and seated right at our reservation time. The decor is really cool. We were seated in the main seating area.
IMG_4091.JPG

There is another room that is a little smaller further back. It seems cozy.
IMG_4090.JPG

Seth and I had the "Tastes like Chicken", that we thought was very good.
IMG_4087.JPG

And Gary who doesn't care for spicy foods any longer had an appetizer Orinoco Ida's Cachapas. He said it was excellent!
IMG_4088.JPG

In the hallway near the restrooms was a beautiful light, I think it is @DocDisney who likes different lighting? If not, someone please correct me.
IMG_4089.JPG

After our delicious late lunch we headed out to use our first fast pass.
IMG_4093.JPG

I love this new ride PP!
IMG_4121 (1).JPG

The PP photographer was set up outside and we found ourselves with a new friend! These will be our October calendar pics!
IMG_4299.JPG

Next up Seth and I headed to Space Mountain. Gary doesn't like most roller coasters so he went to get one of his favorite snacks, the cinnamon roll at Gaston's Tavern. He said it wasn't as great as he remembered them, but he did finish it all himself! :D

IMG_4427.JPG

Love this ride! As long as you don't care about your neck!

After SM we wandered over to one of my favorites in Tomorrowland.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
We went on the People Mover one of my favorites! There was a decently long line, miss the days of just walking onto the ramp.
IMG_4100.JPG

We then headed over to get another pic for my calendar, the yearly "pic on the wall".
The first trip for my daughter (now 31) was at 3 1/2 years of age, and my son the same. We just happened to get a pic of my daughter on the wall to the right of Cinderellas Castle, and then decided to repeat it each time we went with both of them. Seth was 3 1/2 in this pic with his sister, and now is a 19 year old college sophomore in need of a haircut and shave! It has gone by soooo fast!
IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4111 (2).JPG

From here we headed to our next FP, but noticed the sky looking a little unfriendly! Lucky for us the rain held off.
IMG_4110.JPG

So excited to have a FP for this, standby listed at 40 minutes.

IMG_4117.JPG

We were very excited to progress right up to the boarding area, till this happened.:(
We were next to board and the entire ride shut down with cars stuck out on the tracks! They had us exit by climbing over the train car seats. I've never had that happen before! We were all given a multi experience FP, but the people coming out of standby did not get one. I felt bad for them.
IMG_4118.JPG

After some discussion we decided to use our pass on Pirates and ran into this guy on the way there!
IMG_4119.JPG

We enjoyed the ride as usual. The people behind us were funny!
IMG_4122.JPG

After that we headed out of the park. We took the bus to Saratoga and got off at the main bus stop to walk up the hill to get food at Artist's Palette to take back to our villa. I don't remember what we got for dinner, but the desserts were yummy!
IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Here are some pictures of our Tree House Villa, as I said before the room was fabulous, the transportation and remote location were the only issues. We were in unit 7010.
This is the walkway back to the unit. We were right at the internal bus stop for the villas.
IMG_4068.JPG

This is the deck, I tied to upload a panoramic view, but apparently it's too large of a file.
IMG_4302.JPG

This is the living room/kitchen area.
IMG_4129.JPG

The master bedroom and bath.
IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

This is the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms and guest bathroom.
IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

I have to take a moment to give a shout out to all of the people who post trip reports. I love reading them and seeing the photos, and I don't think I realized what all goes into producing one with great photos.
I kept taking food pics with 2 forkfuls gone because I kept forgetting to take the picture before I chowed down! Or, in the case of the room pictures. We put all of our stuff in there before I remembered to take the pictures. (When it was still pristine)!
But, with that said I wanted to share how nice and spacious the villas are with you.

Well, that's it for DAY 1!
Tomorrow is our day to visit Galaxy's Edge, and it was an absolute blast!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
They are my favorite on property!
Makes up for some of SSR shortcomings I think😂
From start to finish they were very kind.
And, when I got a little cranky the 2nd!!! time :mad: we got locked out of our unit, they showed great patience with me.
That frustrating tale coming up on day 3.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom