Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

jeangreyforever

It's just a silly nonsense. Disney never said anything about that. Asha will might either get her own prince love interest or just be independent like Merida in Brave or Moana in Moana.
Disney doesn't make love interests anymore for their female characters. Apparently you can't be a feminist if you're a woman in a relationship. No chance of Asha having a prince.

jeangreyforever

Then why comment on it. You can have any opinion, but in all honesty, nobody asked.
That's a bit mean-spirited to @Phroobar. They're perfectly entitled to share their opinion on a public forum. I for one enjoyed reading their post and if we were only allowed to post based on when somebody else asks us to, then I would like to remind you that nobody asked you for your take on @Phroobar's opinion so you ought to apply your narrow-minded principles to yourself. It works both ways, thank goodness for that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney doesn't make love interests anymore for their female characters. Apparently you can't be a feminist if you're a woman in a relationship. No chance of Asha having a prince.
Frozen II
Little Mermaid live-action
She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Turning Red

If previously, you were used to every female lead having a love interest, it could seem that not having a love interest for a female in *every* bit of content might seem the same as 'no love interest at all.' But it isn't. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't. Like real life.

Ghost93

Frozen II
She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Turning Red

If previously, you were used to every female lead having a love interest, it could seem that not having a love interest for a female in *every* bit of content might seem the same as 'no love interest at all.' But it isn't. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't. Like real life.
Moana, Encanto and Raya simply told stories where having a love interest would add NOTHING to the overall narrative.

I mean, I guess they could have aged up Moana and made Maui more conventionally attractive and paired them up, but I think the movie would have been weaker if they did that. Encanto was all about family.

My headcanon is that Raya is a lesbian anyway. Definitely, some angry flirting going on with Namari. 🤣

tcool123

Frozen II
She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Turning Red

Dont forget Luca and the red headed girl! Not a leasing lady, but a prominent one with a boy crush

jeangreyforever

Frozen II
She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Turning Red

Frozen II is a continuation of Frozen where Anna already had a love interest. Even then, the focus is not on the love story but on Elsa who remains forever single.
Live-action remakes don't count but the press for the movie is already trying to change the narrative that Ariel's dreams do not revolve around a man and he's more a bonus for her real goal of becoming human. The Snow White remake press is more telling where you have the lead actress outright criticizing the "outdated" prince and saying that there won't really be a love story in the remake, or love won't be a focus.
I don't watch the Marvel shows and I'm not really referencing them since they operate under their own label. You could throw in all the 20th Century movies or The Muppets with Kermit and Miss Piggy as examples then as well, but that's hardly the same.
Turning Red, besides being Pixar which is also separate and never had much of an emphasis on romance, features a little girl. I don't even think she's 13 in the movie and she had a crush but there was hardly a relationship. The crush was also on a guy much older than her, hence her mother's outrage. It's used as a comical storyline to precipitate her transformation into the red panda because of the stress of being embarrassed by her mother. If you call that a relationship, I'm afraid for you.

jeangreyforever

Well, if Asha is going to be independent like Merida, Moana, and Raya, I suppose that's fine. But I miss the Princess and Prince couple movies.
Agreed. It's not that every Disney heroine needs to have a love interest or have it be her main goal, but it shouldn't be completely ignored in order to create a faux narrative that you can't be a real woman or strong woman if you *gasp* possess a heart and some hormones.

It's simply unnatural and unrealistic to phase out romance for female characters completely since having a relationship is something every human does unlike they're asexual or voluntarily celibate.

LittleBuford

Frozen II is a continuation of Frozen where Anna already had a love interest. Even then, the focus is not on the love story but on Elsa who remains forever single.
Live-action remakes don't count but the press for the movie is already trying to change the narrative that Ariel's dreams do not revolve around a man and he's more a bonus for her real goal of becoming human. The Snow White remake press is more telling where you have the lead actress outright criticizing the "outdated" prince and saying that there won't really be a love story in the remake, or love won't be a focus.
I don't watch the Marvel shows and I'm not really referencing them since they operate under their own label. You could throw in all the 20th Century movies or The Muppets with Kermit and Miss Piggy as examples then as well, but that's hardly the same.
Turning Red, besides being Pixar which is also separate and never had much of an emphasis on romance, features a little girl. I don't even think she's 13 in the movie and she had a crush but there was hardly a relationship. The crush was also on a guy much older than her, hence her mother's outrage. It's used as a comical storyline to precipitate her transformation into the red panda because of the stress of being embarrassed by her mother. If you call that a relationship, I'm afraid for you.
And Jungle Cruise?

e8401552676b870238a64b18accc7342a62af387.gif

tcool123

Never seen it. I heard it was incredibly homophobic which was just one extra reason not to watch it.
As a gay man I didn’t think it was homophobic?

But good catch @LittleBuford , Jungle Cruise did have a heteronormative female relationship. I truly dont think is as big of deal as people think.

Elemental which comes out in two months is about a fire persona and water person, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the classic opposites attract storyline there.

LittleBuford

It's simply unnatural and unrealistic to phase out romance for female characters completely since having a relationship is something every human does unlike they're asexual or voluntarily celibate.
It’s worth noting that Strange World (another film you refuse to watch) vividly portrays the attraction between Meridian—a strong woman by any measure—and her husband, Searcher.

maxresdefault.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom