Winnie the Pooh Newspaper Article - from Winnipeg

H20Babie

Original Poster
Winnipeg Free Press
Disney celebrates Winnie movie at Assiniboine Park
By: William Burr

FOR Disney, a new animated film about Winnie the Pooh is a return to basics. For Winnipeg, it's a celebration of this city's part of the story.

On Saturday, there will be a Winnie-themed Family Fun Day at the Assiniboine Park Nature Playground as a lead-up to Disney's film, which was made using traditional, hand-drawn animation, as with classics Fantasia, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King.

Bryn Knox, a marketing executive with Disney, said it's an appropriate way to treat a tale that has been a children's classic for decades.

Disney Canada decided to hold the event in Winnipeg because Winnie is named after the city. The film will be launched in Winnipeg, but not screened in theatres until July 15.

"We're always looking for Canadian connections in our films," Knox said. "That was what we wanted to seize on."

On Saturday between 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., kids can enjoy activity stations with colouring pages from Crayola, puzzles from Danawares, and a Duplo station from Lego.

Winnie the Pooh activity booklets will be given away, and for the very young, there will even be Huggies Winnie the Pooh diaper samples.

Winnie was a real bear, an orphaned cub picked up in White River, Ont., in 1914 for $20 by a young veterinarian, Lt. Harry Colebourn, on his way to Quebec and eventually the First World War. He named the bear after Winnipeg, where his regiment was based.

When Colebourn was camped at Salisbury Plain, preparing for trenches of Flanders, Winnie stayed in Colebourn's tent and slept under his c o t. She -- yes, she -- became the official mascot of the regiment.

Winnie ended up at the London Zoo, where she was seen by a young boy, Christopher Robin Milne. His father was A.A. Milne, the author of the Pooh series.

JIMINYCR

Asking you Winnie the Pooh lovers, I'm just interested... anyone know the origins of the other characters names? (besides Kanga and Roo)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Asking you Winnie the Pooh lovers, I'm just interested... anyone know the origins of the other characters names? (besides Kanga and Roo)

A donkey named Eeyore is his friend,
and Kanga and little Roo,
There's Rabbit and Piglet and there's Owl,
But most of all Winnie the Pooh.​

I believe the only other one that could possibly have any back story would be Eeyore.

I think Eeyore is a play on the sound a donkey makes...nothing more than a literary device used by Milne as a humorous onomatopoeia.

JIMINYCR

A donkey named Eeyore is his friend,
and Kanga and little Roo,
There's Rabbit and Piglet and there's Owl,
But most of all Winnie the Pooh.​

I believe the only other one that could possibly have any back story would be Eeyore..

Yes, I meant for EEYORE, I don't know what I was thinking. :hammer:Of course Owl, Piglet, and Rabbit is for an Owl, a Piglet and a Rabbit.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom