Wine and Dine Half-Marathon

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
As you can all tell I am kind of new to the site, but wanted to start some threads anyways.

So I am planning on running in the Inaugural Wine and Dine Half-Marathon at Disney World this October. I was just wondering how many of you are thinking of doing as well. What do think of the concept of this new race?

P.S. Even if your not planning on participating in this, your thoughts will be a valued part of the discussion.

Phonedave

As you can all tell I am kind of new to the site, but wanted to start some threads anyways.

So I am planning on running in the Inaugural Wine and Dine Half-Marathon at Disney World this October. I was just wondering how many of you are thinking of doing as well. What do think of the concept of this new race?

P.S. Even if your not planning on participating in this, your thoughts will be a valued part of the discussion.

I am debating it. I am already registered for the full marathon in January

I am going this August on cash, so I will have my full allotment of DVC points as well.

The idea of the night race appeals to me. I already do a lot of my runs after work. In fact I was just commenting to a friend of mine that when I download the telemetry from the runs, you can see my heart rate increase when I am running over broken ground in the dark and trying not to kill myself or twist an ankle.

I have to check my schedules, but I may pull the trigger sometime this week.

It is also a great excuse to go to Food and Wine :)

-dave

Mickey1984

i was a bit disappointed when this race was announced.
me and my partner have recently got into running (past year or so) and we liked the theming behind the Tower of Terror 13K and was really looking fwd to entering this year, kept an eye out for ages on the internet etc etc and then they annouced this instead ... we were very disappointed, not a very disneyish theme.

plumped for the jan half marathon instead, so heres hoping i put enough training in in time for Jan 2011 :p

frank2271

I'll be there, it'll be a practice run for the full in Jan. My wife and son are running the 5k that morning, I'm thinking of doing that too. The 5k sounds like a lot of fun.

My wife and I have done four Disney runs so far and have had a blast at every one. I can't wait for October, but on the other hand I do need the training time.

Tinkrbell

I'm considering doing the 5k in the morning. It seems like it'd be fun & I'm not really a runner, but I think I could handle that one.

urbanvegan

My sister and I will both be running it - very exciting - and it is her first running event ever! :sohappy: We're doing the relay option, as she doesn't think she can handle the entire 13.1 alone.

frank2271

I recently sent a message to Steve @ WDWMagic.com and asked him to make a thread for Disney Running events so we can keep our discussions organized. He replied this:

"Hi Frank

If you can generate some discussion on the subject I would love to make a special category.

Thanks!

Steve"

So if you feel the same as I, keep up the discussion and send a message to Steve. It would be nice to have our Running stuff all at one place. I am a member of "Disneyrunning.com" but it is not as populated as this forum and it costs $20 a year. :eek:

Frank

frank2271

how much do these runs cost anyhow?

They are all different, for example:
Everest Challenge is about $200 for two people. It includes two, one day tickets to Animal Kingdom and other extras.

The WDW Full marathon is $135 per person.

Here is a link to all the events

www.espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/endurance/index

Just click on the "register" button to see the cost and other info on the event.

They truely are well done events and are great ways to see the "World"

devoy1701

holy cow! forget it! $110 for half marathons! $45 for 5Ks!

I hope there's a discount if you don't need admission into the parks for events like Everest Challenge!

frank2271

The Everest Challenge was actually very agravating for me, I am an annual passholder and didn't need or want a one day pass. But they forced me to buy them and I had four family members in the race. I ended up selling the tickets to someone, so it wasn't too bad.

The race was a BLAST, even in the rain, and the medal is a great keepsake. It is more money for Disney races, (everything Disney, right?) but worth it. (like every thing Disney).

HollyBelle

Hi everyone! :wave: Frank, I saw your post upthread about creating a possible subcategory for Disney running events and I really like the idea. Count me in! I would love to see a WDW Endurance Events board. My boyfriend and I ran the Inaugural Everest challenge in 2008, the Full in 2009 and just returned from the 2010 Princess Half! If anyone is interested, click the links for reports... I plan to start my report for the Princess in the next couple of days.

Now, on topic... I'm seriously considering the Wine and Dine. My only honest concern, and this is a deal breaker for me, is whether or not they'll have characters on the course. The EE Challenge didn't have them and, to my knowledge, neither did the now extinct Race for the Taste. Anyone heard anything regarding characters?

frank2271

Hi HollyBelle,

I was also surprised that there were no characters in any of the fall endurance series races. From what I understand there are always characters in half and full marathons. As you know there were many on the Princess Half. Check out my video here - www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhQGM36a-k .

I bet there will be just as much entertainment as the Princess, it'll be interesting to see how they do it at night. Are you thinking of doing the 5k too? That race sounds Awesome. My wife and son are going to do it and I think I might too.

fmingo36

Just completed my first race ever-the Princess 1/2 Marathon two weeks ago. It was a blast!
I am going to run the in the Wine and Dine, just not sure if I'm going to run the full 1/2 or convince my DH to do the relay (trying to get him off the couch-LOL). I even got my DD interested in running. She's going to run the 200m dash in the kids racing.

I think a runners/race thread would be great. When I first signed up for the Princess marathon, I made a post looking for other runners hoping to make some runner-friends; you know other people that can cheer each other on through those rough training patches, celebrate the victory of achievements, and commiserate over the aches and pains.

Phonedave

I think a running section would be great as well.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on this race. I really want to do it, I just have not had the time to see what sort of availability for DVC I can get, what the airfare is like, and what work is like.

-dave

frank2271

All of you who think a running thread is a good idea should send a short, friendly note to Steve. His email is

forums@wdwmagic.com or just click the "contact us" button at the bottom of this page.

It would be great to have an area that runners could talk about their plans, races, training, injuries, past races etc.

With the growing popularity of running at Disney, (over 11,000 women finished the Princess) It's a no-brainer.

By the way, did anyone else see the guy along the Princess route that had the sign saying "Marathon After Party" with his phone number? :ROFLOL: I'm not sure if that was halarious or genius or both. I wonder if anyone called him. With over 11,000 women, his odds are pretty good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom